Well that did not go as planned...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So my new job lasted one hour. And I found out I cannot work there. I would have to give up running my own business because they wanted me to sign a conflict of interest clause paper. Saying if I worked there I could no longer buy jewelry. Or get my own license or run my own business because of the conflict of interest and if I did the owner of that company could sue me. And if I quit there or got fired it would be two years until I could go on my own or work for another company doing the same thing. So I said good luck to them!

(I applied for my secondhand dealers license two days ago) I wish they would've said something before I went through the interview and the background check and the drug test and everything else!

Peyton Manning

Gold Member
Dec 19, 2012
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
MXT-PRO
Sandshark
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
good on ya for standing for your integrity

NJcigarman

May 25, 2013
Southern New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro,Whites Surfmaster PI
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Beach take your business to the next level. Screw that working for the man!!!!!!!!

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Their loss not yours. You already know what your doing. If they are afraid you will compete with them in the future- so you compete now. Bravo for standing your ground.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing is. I was not going to apply for my license but I was I was at my friends jewelry store and two police officers came in to check his inventory of stuff he bought from other people. I sat there with him and went through everything piece by piece and they told him they arrested two other vendors for buying jewelry and not having a license.

My parents and my grandparents have gone to yard sales since they could start driving. I never thought in 100 years I would do the same thing as them. No kid thinks they're going to grow up and be like their parents but I'm hitting 35 and I'm realizing I'm just like them whether I like it or not. So being able to find stuff for the yard sale is awesome. Along with thrift stores! But when you get to sit down with the person who can tell you the story about what they have, how they got it and what it means to them is an awesome experience. It doesn't matter if it's a piece of jewelry, A coin, a baseball card or something else! I just really enjoy being able to sit down with people and talk to them. And I guess a lot of that is because I didn't get to really hear my grandparents stories because I moved away at 22.

A year 2 yrs and go I met this guy and I took him to lunch once a week because it was something he enjoyed. I paid for his lunch we would go to Perkins and just sat there and talked for about an hour and a half. He told me his life history his wife his kids everything. I bought his coin collection from him and ended up keeping most of it. it's basically why I have a good coin collection now. But outside of the coins he passed away about four months after we started going out to lunch. I don't know I just really enjoyed my time with him and I think he did the same.

Sorry for the rambling I'm trying to entertain for kids as well. At the moment

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I could buy something on my way out the door though! I couldn't resist!

image-1425889152.jpg

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I saw I bit on the new this Morning that the Average Person Changes there Career 7 Times in there Life I Must be Abnormal worked from 12 to now 50 years Old 17 Different jobs

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw I bit on the new this Morning that the Average Person Changes there Career 7 Times in there Life I Must be Abnormal worked from 12 to now 50 years Old 17 Different jobs

Makes since, electrician, school aid employee, scrapper\ treasure hunter... I think I'm going to apply for this electrical position as well though. A good company is hiring and I would work for them in a second. Too many people around here on drugs or have criminal backgrounds and they cannot find someone to work for them. I would go back to doing that in a heartbeat! I got laid off in the recession and never went back to it.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I applied for my secondhand dealers license two days ago

I presume by this you mean a Business License which is really just a device for the taxing authorities to get you into their tracking systems to be sure the government gets their cut of the action. A business license is very different than a professional certification where you have to demonstrate an acceptable level of knowledge and expertise. A good example might be a construction contractor who must demonstrate knowledge of building codes, etc. Surely there isn't a certification required to sell miscellaneous stuff secondhand... is there?

I'm a bit shocked they would ask for a two year Non-Compete Agreement. Most such agreements are one year or less. I would not have signed a two year non-compete either.

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
I must be really odd from 18 to 47 - I did but 1 job --merchant seaman / chief steward --forced to medically retire asbestosis from the old ships -- -

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Funny thing is. I was not going to apply for my license but I was I was at my friends jewelry store and two police officers came in to check his inventory of stuff he bought from other people. I sat there with him and went through everything piece by piece and they told him they arrested two other vendors for buying jewelry and not having a license.

My parents and my grandparents have gone to yard sales since they could start driving. I never thought in 100 years I would do the same thing as them. No kid thinks they're going to grow up and be like their parents but I'm hitting 35 and I'm realizing I'm just like them whether I like it or not. So being able to find stuff for the yard sale is awesome. Along with thrift stores! But when you get to sit down with the person who can tell you the story about what they have, how they got it and what it means to them is an awesome experience. It doesn't matter if it's a piece of jewelry, A coin, a baseball card or something else! I just really enjoy being able to sit down with people and talk to them. And I guess a lot of that is because I didn't get to really hear my grandparents stories because I moved away at 22.

A year 2 yrs and go I met this guy and I took him to lunch once a week because it was something he enjoyed. I paid for his lunch we would go to Perkins and just sat there and talked for about an hour and a half. He told me his life history his wife his kids everything. I bought his coin collection from him and ended up keeping most of it. it's basically why I have a good coin collection now. But outside of the coins he passed away about four months after we started going out to lunch. I don't know I just really enjoyed my time with him and I think he did the same.

Sorry for the rambling I'm trying to entertain for kids as well. At the moment

There is a certain quality of sharing time with those that are ahead of us in years. The middle school I worked at had an after school program that spent time at some nearby assisted living homes. We had to be emotionally careful in doing this as some of the elderly would pass away during the school year. But, it provided an experience that 7th and 8th graders need to have in this day and time....

Even with those senior folks that are still living by themselves, we forget that some older gentlemen and women miss the touch of just being hugged or even from a simple handshake. Your time made his remaining days richer. You might like reading this book, too.

"Tuesdays with Morrie"

SparkNotes: Tuesdays with Morrie: Plot Overview

Bill

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
There are many businesses that are now requiring non competition clauses. In many cases they are unenforceable. Depending upon the laws of your state, it may or may not be enforcible.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I presume by this you mean a Business License which is really just a device for the taxing authorities to get you into their tracking systems to be sure the government gets their cut of the action. A business license is very different than a professional certification where you have to demonstrate an acceptable level of knowledge and expertise. A good example might be a construction contractor who must demonstrate knowledge of building codes, etc. Surely there isn't a certification required to sell miscellaneous stuff secondhand... is there?

I'm a bit shocked they would ask for a two year Non-Compete Agreement. Most such agreements are one year or less. I would not have signed a two year non-compete either.
Sounds like what they're referring to is the same as a pawn broker. You have to take an ID, list all the items you buy on one of their sheets, then sit on the items for 30 days. Right on keeping tabs for revenue generation er ahem sales taxes. You're screwed if they think an item you have is hot whether it is or not... I would never sign a non compete period! Have seen too many honest people get reamed on this.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is a certain quality of sharing time with those that are ahead of us in years. The middle school I worked at had an after school program that spent time at some nearby assisted living homes. We had to be emotionally careful in doing this as some of the elderly would pass away during the school year. But, it provided an experience that 7th and 8th graders need to have in this day and time....

Even with those senior folks that are still living by themselves, we forget that some older gentlemen and women miss the touch of just being hugged or even from a simple handshake. Your time made his remaining days richer. You might like reading this book, too.

"Tuesdays with Morrie"

SparkNotes: Tuesdays with Morrie: Plot Overview

Bill

Hey Bill....I'm glad you are a young man who appreciates this. We should always appreciate those who came b4 us. They are wiser than probably us.

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone wants you to sign a non-compete agreement,
they better be paying some big bucks, to dictate your future life to you.
I'd a walked on them, too.
I used to work in syndicated advertising, never signed anything. There were some who left and attempted to start their own company, but our ideas and concepts were all syndicated, copyrighted, trademarked, it woulda been hard to pass them off to someone else, as original.

Plus, most that left, closed shop, (some even came back). Can't make someone conform to ethics with a piece of paper, if they had none to begin with.
Good luck in whatever you choose to do.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread