THRIFT Store SILENT Auction Find - ART DECO Cufflinks

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These are marked 14K. I'm trying to make a judgement on the designer. These are STUNNING!!!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422678946.824422.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422678955.490947.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422678966.158412.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1422678975.809675.jpg

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Generally I stay away from the silent auction items bc they go for WAY to much money. This time the lady said "why not, some of this stuff sells real cheap". She's gotten to know me over the past year or so since I'm always bugging her for help at the jewelry counter. The opening bid was $10, so I bid $20....and won! Here are pics of the nicer stuff. I'm out of 10K solution so I've set aside a few pieces to test when it arrives. The beauty of men's jewelry lots - I won't be tempted to keep the really nice stuff. ;)

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty excited about the watch fob though bc I need one to convert my pappy's service watch into a lapel piece and now I don't have to pay a whole lot for it. Also, I know that the one piece (skull) KIAI O KALEWA is from WWII. The only comparable piece I can find is on worthpoint. So it's likely a rare(r) piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Did you pay $20 for the cuff links or the entire lot? Either way that's a good deal. You must have a better class of thrift store than we do. I almost never see anything worth buying.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't see the mark on the deco cufflinks. They are worth some money. I believe the white metal on them could be platinum. I had a set kind of like yours I got for 6 bucks and they were marked but not gold or platinum and the white metal on mine did turn out as platinum. I sold them on eBay and I think they went for $445. on an auction. The person with this on line store bought them and I saw later they put them up for $1200.00 Art Deco Cufflinks They sat for maybe 8 months on his site as I'd look from time to time to see if they would sell at that price. I think they did, because their not on their site anymore. They knew who made them and I couldn't figure out who the mark was for, so I sold them. Find out for sure the maker of the cuffs so you can list them by the maker. You hit a home run on this deal.

Last edited:
OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Did you pay $20 for the cuff links or the entire lot? Either way that's a good deal. You must have a better class of thrift store than we do. I almost never see anything worth buying.

$20 for the whole lot. This is just the nicer stuff though.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say! M, says you're pm's are full so no replies. You'll need to remove the old. I wonder if that's the issue?

OP
OP
mjm579

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Say! M, says you're pm's are full so no replies. You'll need to remove the old. I wonder if that's the issue?

Seems I needed to confirm my email address. Still not letting me create new posts. I sent a message to jeffofpa.

steif

Mar 2, 2007
you are right, the skull is hawaii based 5th bomb group, I would say about 100 bucks or so, maybe a bit more. you never know if you ebay it, could bring a lot more.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm pretty excited about the watch fob though bc I need one to convert my pappy's service watch into a lapel piece and now I don't have to pay a whole lot for it. Also, I know that the one piece (skull) KIAI O KALEWA is from WWII. The only comparable piece I can find is on worthpoint. So it's likely a rare(r) piece. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
A photo of the back/mark will help as they do make fakes of this piece. $100 isn't out of line for this imo if an authentic piece. Here is one that sold attached to a cap w/ another pin. The value of this auction was that pin. The cap was probably worth $50 and the 1st. Lt's bar maybe $10 tops. WWII Overseas Hat Cap 5th Bombardment Group Di Crest B17 Pearl Harbor VETS | eBay

I found this on the pin but it is from 11 years ago putting value at $50. As stated earlier, it is worth more than that today as militaria is a growing collectible market.

Scroll down to the 4th one- Western & Eastern Treasures Magazine - Ask Mark Parker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread