Tiki Tiki

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked these up yesterday for about $5 each.
DSC05671.JPG DSC05672.JPG DSC05673.JPG
DSC05675.JPG

I knew tiki stuff (especially vintage tiki stuff) is pretty popular so I figured these were a pretty good deal. Back in the 60s and 70s all things Hawaiian were all the rage. I don't think the three mugs on the right are any great shakes. Mug #4 is very common but still sells for maybe $5 - $10 each. I have no idea about #5 and #6.

I have high hope for the three on the left. These were all produced by a Japanese company, Otagiri Mercantile Company. They apparently had a variety of these that they sold to tiki bars all over the country. The buyer could customize his mugs by having Otagiri put his bar's name put on the back. Mug #3 is relatively common but still sells for $50 or more.

Mug #2 seems to be more rare. I found one example of this mug from the same Hawaiian Village location that sold for $125 (see Vintage Hawaiian Tiki Mug Hawaiian Village Hawaii in Tampa | eBay). That one has a horribly sloppy glaze job on the face so I'm hoping mine will sell for at least as much as that one did.

Mug #1 is particularly intriguing. I can't find another example of it anywhere. There is a cool web site that specializes in all things tiki. The have a page dedicated to the Tampa Hawaiian Village - Hawaiian Village, Tampa | Critiki. The site has pictures of 5 mugs from the Tampa Hawaiian Village (including my mugs #2 and #3) but they don't have my #1. A Google search for "tiki mug" didn't turn one up either.

There are a few tiki mugs on eBay which sold for over $200 and a couple have sold for over $300. Perhaps my surfer girl mug will do so well? We shall see...

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got a couple tall tiki cups like those that came from "Trader Vic's" 1960's era. I picked them up at a yard sale. I think I gave a dollar for the pair. I need to get off my duff some day and start unloading this stuff or call the American pickers to come by. Over the years I just couldn't pass up anything that was undervalued. Some of the stuff I have was hot years ago and now it's not. Looking at the Trader Vic stuff, due to this post gives, me the idea that stuff has become more collectible from the time I first bought them...Now I need to see where I put em. :dontknow:

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
@Lost&Found - I just discovered the Ooga-Mooga site before coming back here and seeing your post. My surfer girl mug is on there but there aren't very many examples of her. I'm thinking I'll put her up on eBay at a pretty high price and see how much interest she gets.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

treasurekidd

Bronze Member
Nov 20, 2004
Rhode Island
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've had real good luck with Tiki mugs over the last couple years..

Same here. I find a lot of them at flea markets and yard sales in the summer, and every single one I've bought has sold well on ebay.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Same here. I find a lot of them at flea markets and yard sales in the summer, and every single one I've bought has sold well on ebay.
I sold about a half dozen of the lower priced ones at my last yard sale including the two pictured on the right in Tallone's photos. I was on a Tiki mug buying kick for a while. Whenever I saw one I would buy it. I have to be more discerning nowadays though.

These two were my best Tiki mug finds and sold for right around $400 between the both of them.

attachment.php

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
From what I gather from my research, it seems like tiki mugs that have the site they came from identified do best. I can see where your Disney tikis would do very well because not only is the site IDed but it is a Disney site as well. BTW the way, I put my mug number #2 up on eBay last night for $99. No bids yet but it already has 8 watchers so I'm optimistic about getting a good price for it.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread