Help with artwork id

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm hoping someone can help me identify the age, language, style, etc. for this picture. Seems like a real antique but couldnt find anything very similar online.

ForumRunner_20150202_144906.png

I'm pretty sure it is a depiction of a young Jesus and Mary. I'm trying to decide if it is worth selling or what.

I would appreciate any help.

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Eastern Orthodox/Byzantium ? style wise.

Is it a woodcut engraving? What is the paper its on like?

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some kind of primitive/outsider Orthodox art. Immediately thought of old-school Russian prison tattoos: FUEL ? RUSSIAN CRIMINAL TATTOO ARCHIVE. Not necessarily the most productive topic to research as this seems older and larger than any tattoo flash, but all I can come up with for now.

Last edited:

Surf_Pirate

Life's Short - Dig Deep
Mar 31, 2013
Eastern NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Minelab Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks similar to an Oriental rubbing I once found in trash pile, but in an Eastern Orthodox style . Frottage maybe, but not sure the name of style. Mine was worth about $75.

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the ideas. It is on what appears to be linen or clothe that has been framed. Any idea on the age? I was thinking 1920's. Post WW1 maybe? Do you think it is a tourist piece?

Red-Coat

Gold Member
Dec 23, 2019
Surrey, UK
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just doing a bit of tidying up on some older threads, mainly for the benefit of anyone searching the site for information.

Very interesting. No easy way to say how old it is, but it appears to be a version of, or based on, a 12th Century painting from the Catedral of Faras in Nubia, depicting a female member of the royal Makurian family, believed to be a princess. She is protected by the Virgin Mary and Christ as a child:

Faras.jpg

The Diocese of Faras was a Christian bishopric in what was Nubia during the Middle Ages and is today a ‘titular see’ of the Coptic Orthodox Church. What was Faras now sits on the border between Egypt and Sudan at Wadi Halfa Salient, currently administratively controlled by Egypt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread