OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never seen fake sterling marked flatware?
Well you're about to. Because I had somebody else acid test one and I told the guy it was fake as well. But he said he did not care so he needed silverware I guess $10 is a good deal anyways. but here's a picture of it every single piece was stamp sterling but as they got through the set some of the stamp started to wear out whoever stamped them.

image-3174484364.jpg image-566720066.jpg image-4292080755.jpg image-3886602906.jpg

I kept the one that was acid tested it's going to Goodwill or Salvation Army whatever. Probably Salvation Army I don't donate much to Goodwill anymore. Plus a friend of mine works at Salvation Army in the warehouse so every time I donate something I get to hear how happy she is that she gets to sort it out!!

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see! It has been doctored. They did a pretty good job it looks like. Here is the original mark-

When you held it in your hand and turned the things slightly you could see on the top of the spoon that impression from the Sterling stamp it left a slight difference in the metal. But you really had to be looking for it. The one guy came back to my yard sale four times trying to decide or not if you wanted to buy it. Even though I kept telling him it was fake. But I was selling it as a silverware set not a Sterling set that's why it was $20 not $800. Then The guy who bought it said he needed a silverware set and $20 was a good price for that so he bought it. Lol for 10$

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I see! It has been doctored. They did a pretty good job it looks like. Here is the original mark-

10279_3_1ff6f3.jpg

Diggs - I have a couple of Rogers pieces with the backs just like that (without the word "Reflections") So the "I" and "S" do not mean sterling? What do they mean? Thanks!

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It stands for International Silver Co. I don't think WM Rogers made much sterling at all if any.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It stands for International Silver Co. I don't think WM Rogers made much sterling at all if any.
Yeah the IS is for International Silver Co. They purchased Rogers in 1898 I believe it was. i KNOW Rogers did make some sterling in the early years (pre IS), but your right, most is plated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread