Mettlach Stein And The Rest of the Story (Updated)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got this yesterday but it was just the tip of the iceberg. I don't know much about steins but I figured it was worth something just based on the size alone. I didn't realize it was over 110 years old though. I looked up Welcome to Stein Marks. and saw my exact stein. Mine dates to 1903.

DSC09778.jpg DSC09780.jpg
DSC09769.jpg DSC09770.jpg
DSC09773.jpg

My favorite part- Front and back sides of thumb latch. Nice quality details!

DSC09766.jpg DSC09776.jpg

It has one tiny little chip on the spout

Last edited:

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
You can get it repaired, costs a bit tho. But in this case, I would bet it would be worth it.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hold it up with the lid open like you are drinking out of it with a light behind it, like the ceiling light or a lamp, sometimes there is a figure molded into the ceramic bottom. Nice find!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can get it repaired, costs a bit tho. But in this case, I would bet it would be worth it.
Yeah, I wouldn't know where to turn for that, locally. Don't know how much it would detract from the value. The most recent auction result that I find shows one that sold for $1020, price includes the 20% bp (item 1306) in Feb. of last year.

Now how about the rest of what you got?
lol, It would take a series of pictures. I will say that everything came from the same estate sale. I went there Fri. afternoon and Saturday morning, the one and only sale that I went to over the weekend. Place had already been rummaged through for 2 days. All of the Royal Doulton came from plastic tubs in the garage. I spent a couple hours just digging through that mess. Two of the rooms were closed off because they were overwhelmed and didn't have the manpower to watch everyone, everywhere. I have a private appointment with the guy next weekend to look at the rest. They had to rent a 24' uhaul to load up in the driveway (full) just to be able clear enough space in the house to have the sale. He said it was filled with "the good stuff". The house was a collector's dream. Like a neatly organized hoarder house full of Royal Doulton, Fenton, LLadro, Swarovski, and the list goes on. The lady was serious cook. She had an entire room of kitchen gadgets and another room dedicated to nothing but cookbooks. I could show you a youtube video of her but I don't want to divulge too much information yet. Just in case my competition is reading this (and I know you are Steve and Sean, lol). There was a safe that most people could stand inside of. The man said they found a bag that had literally hundreds of gold coins in it as well as bags of bills and other coins. Here's a some of it, but not all-

Large 12 inch Daisy & Fern cranberry opalescent Vase-

DSC09621.jpg

A lot of 10 Royal Doulton large Character mugs-

DSC09696.jpg

Another 13 assorted pieces of Royal Doulton figurines and small mugs (I broke the hand off the one on the back right)-

DSC09698.jpg

I'll post some more later when I get done taking more photos for eBay.

Hold it up with the lid open like you are drinking out of it with a light behind it, like the ceiling light or a lamp, sometimes there is a figure molded into the ceramic bottom. Nice find!
Nothing in this one.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you selling the stein? It looks to me like something you'd keep. I wouldn't have thought that was over a hundred years myself. Pretty neat!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Are you selling the stein? It looks to me like something you'd keep. I wouldn't have thought that was over a hundred years myself. Pretty neat!
I may sell it eventually. Right now it's on the back burner. So yes, a keeper for the moment.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here's a few more items from the same sale-

This is a replica of WW2 German General Field Marshal Walter Model's Baton. An authentic General Field Marshal baton sells for 500k+.

DSC09792.jpg DSC09791.jpg

Fenton Silver Crest Epergne in the Diamond Lace pattern

DSC09781.jpg

Here are some Fenton Baskets and 4 Fenton Empress Ruby Wine Goblets-

DSC09842.jpg

Another Fenton basket and a Murano frog and snail as well as a Kerry glass paperweight, Royal Crown Marx Brothers Figurines and a sliced Geode clock.

DSC09891.jpg

And a nice cut crystal bowl-

DSC09843.jpg DSC09848.jpg DSC09859.jpg

Attachments

• DSC09887.jpg
    DSC09887.jpg
    428.6 KB · Views: 77
  • DSC09826.jpg
    DSC09826.jpg
    432.2 KB · Views: 81

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm jealous. If I drive down will you take me with you when you meet the guy next weekend? :tongue3:

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Looks like an amazing sale. That mettlach stein is fabulous. And the rest is great too, what a haul of Royal doulton!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm jealous. If I drive down will you take me with you when you meet the guy next weekend? :tongue3:
Sure, lol. You buy guns? When I found the Nazi baton, I asked if he had anymore military medals or anything like that. He said there are 2 boxes full of WW1 stuff in the truck. If the baton is any indication, then it's probably WW2 stuff. He also said there was a room full of guns too that they pulled out of there. That's what I'm going to look at this weekend, not necessarily the guns but everything else. I hope it all works out.

Looks like an amazing sale. That mettlach stein is fabulous. And the rest is great too, what a haul of Royal doulton!
I spent hours there before I burned out and had to go. There were plenty of treasures still to be found I'm sure. I can't wait till next weekend!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found out the crystal bowl is from Turkey, lol. Looks good but not worth too much. That's why I don't usually buy cut glass.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread