Decent Art Find with no idea what to offer for a purchase price. Help?

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As the title mentions, I came across a rather large oil painting this afternoon and was told that I could buy if I made an offer.

I don't buy much art but the artist is a listed and somewhat collected. I've tried for some time this evening to get actual auction results but everything requires membership/subscription.

I like the picture and wouldn't mind owning it, especially if it will apprecieate in value over time. I have other pieces of valuable art and I'm always looking for more

The artist is Ernst F. Karger and its in excellent condition. The frame is newer but horribly ugly and gold washed. The scene is a farmhouse/countryside with a stream and trees

The measurements are being recalled just by a visual snapshot but at least 36"+ wide and about 24"tall. This is a large painting

If anybody has access to one of the subscription sites, it would be greatly apprecieated if somebody could check and just relay me the average realized prices so I can make a fair offer on the painting.

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010
Just be honest and make an offer at a price you would be happy to have bought it at.More then likly they have no idea on its worth eaither.

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see what you mean on the subscription sites. I don't have access to them. I found a few prices outside those and sale prices were under $300. I don't know if that's going to be consistent with his artwork sales.

S

stefen

Do not use Ebay as a measuring tool...those are asking prices...not sell prices...

Some auctions prices are emotionable bids made by inexperienced buyers. Knowledgable buyers know the value of art and resale values...in the event of a fast flip...

As stated above, "Just be honest and make an offer at a price you would be happy to have bought it at. More then likly they have no idea on its worth either".

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Subject matter, color and quality sell paintings. At least for the old stuff. Modern art ...who knows???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread