Calling all jewelry junkies

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a family run estate sale this morning. The house was a disaster and the family had removed everything but a few pieces of furniture and some crappy artwork. I did a quick tour of the house and was on my way out when I noticed a small box near the front door with a few pieces of obviously cheapo jewelry and a couple of watches. However, there was one piece that caught my eye:

DSC05743.JPG

My first thought was silver and turquoise but the stones didn't look quite right for turquoise and the style didn't look like a southwest indian piece. I saw the mark the back but I didn't have my magnifier so I couldn't make out what it said. I paid the asking price of $7.00 because I liked the look and thought that was a sufficiently low enough risk to take a chance on it.

It turns out this is Mexican silver from Taxco.

DSC05754.JPG DSC05749.JPG

So, here are the questions for you jewelry experts out there:

1. I presume the initials "MCP" in the center of the mark is the maker. Any idea who that might be?

2. What does "TC-67" mean. Would the date of creation be 1967?

3. What are the stones? I have seen a couple of similar pieces on eBay. One called the stones jade. The other called them malachite. I don't think they are turquoise but I'm no expert. Here are some closeups of the stones that might help ID them:

DSC05747.JPG DSC05744.JPG DSC05746.JPG

In any event, I think the piece is quite valuable. Here is a slightly more elaborate piece of the exact same design that recently sold on eBay for somewhere around $300:

Vintage Taxco Mexico Sterling Silver Tear Drop Malachite Bib Choker Necklace | eBay

The stones in that piece look a lot more like malachite than mine do. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
The TC-67 has something to do with the registration number of the maker but I forget exactly what. I did a quick search on 925-1000.com & didn't see anything about the maker listed. Most of the high end makers are listed there. With Taxco it's all about the designer. I believe those stones are turquoise. Definitely not malachite.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree that the stones are not malachite. Every piece of malachite I have ever seen was a much darker green. Regarding the maker... the piece that sold on eBay doesn't have any maker's initials and it sold for around $300 (apparently).

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that the stones are not malachite. Every piece of malachite I have ever seen was a much darker green. Regarding the maker... the piece that sold on eBay doesn't have any maker's initials and it sold for around $300 (apparently).

Definitely green turquoise. Or a green blue turquoise stone. I don't know much about the makers I pretty much look them up individually as I find them. But put it up there for 300 or best offer I might sit for awhile. But it may go quick!

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is a Taxco piece...
But it is NOT malachite.
Tis Turquoise.
Piece worth 300 all day long.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This one was on Worthpoint. I have no idea how much it sold for and they didn't know who the maker was either. It says it is marked "TC-87" not 67 but the style is so close to yours and the initials are the same that it has to be by the same maker. Sorry but I still haven't figured out how to share the link since I updated my apps so I took screen shots... ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423974870.786831.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423974891.319712.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1423974901.852234.jpg

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And I definitely agree--not malachite. Looks like turquoise to me.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Great information. Thanks, all. I guess the maker will remain a mystery. The marks on this piece seem to be somewhat contradictory with the statements on the Mexican silver marks web site. The web site says the "C" in "TC-67" would be the first initial of the maker's name. If that is true, what is the "MCP" in the center? I suppose it could still be the maker's initials because the Spanish often use two surnames (such as "Miguel Cardenas de Paralta" - to just make something up off the top of my head). Anyway, I agree with others that this piece should bring around $300. And to think I wasn't even going to go out yesterday morning because the pickin's looked so slim! Just goes to show.... you never know what you might find and where!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Most Mexican silversmith's have not been identified because there is no list that matches the letters and numbers to the makers name. I tried for months to get $400 for my Zuni Squash blossom and couldn't, so I quit listing it. The style of yours may make it more desirable than mine though so, you may get $300 eventually.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Got it. Yay, glad I save my old auctions in a file. This is what I had in an auction for a bangle. I don't know where I found the information from:

The bangle is clearly stamped 925, MEXICO, and TN-57.
The “T” designating Taxco as the location, N indicating the first initial of the last name of the silversmith, and the number 57 indicates that they were the 57th silversmith with a name being with a N to register in the city of Taxco.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
The style of yours may make it more desirable than mine though so, you may get $300 eventually.

Yes, difficult to know when or if I can get $300 for it. I listed it last night for that amount so we shall see. The good news is the piece is small and easy to store AND I don't have much money tied up in it. So, I can afford to be patient and wait for the right person to come along.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread