Tnet challenge

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I Was thinking about this tonight. We all seem to do well with our finds. What if we do a challenge against each other but in the end it benefits someone else.

So for example: the challenge would be you have a certain amount of money to spend either going to thrift stores or yard sales or maybe just a few items bought in the past.

So say like $25 take it spend it on whatever you can get with that $25. We all pick a charity together or 2 because there's ones you can donate to right off of eBay. Then all money you make minus the shipping or fees goes to that charity.

I mean it's easy to find stuff to resell, we are all good at it. But can we change somebody's life with a piece of junk that comes out of the store?

What do you think?

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
I dunno. I'm ok just scraping by in this economy and what I spend at the thrift stores where everything is donated and who knows who is picking over this stuff and lining their pockets I consider my contribution to charity. I hit a lick once in awhile but I work hard at it and spend a lotta money loving what I do. Not to mention my many other contributions to others and I will not go into it here. It is a kind and giving gesture to suggest such a challenge. As for me, I will not participate.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Even though it's been slow things have really stabilized for us so I'd be down. I'm guessing $25 was an arbitrary amount but I think that's a good limit. If the weather's good I'll be at the flea market sat & sun so one of those can be a "goof-off" day.

bdsawyer

Feb 25, 2014
North Dakota
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I think it's a great idea, but I would not choose a charity from eBay. I know of a few local charities, and one that helps children with disabilities. What I would like to see is this: Each person who agrees picks a charity of their choosing. They take the $25 and go picking or choose an item in their own inventory. Link the auction to this thread. And then we can watch the outcomes and cheer on our fellow tnetters. Would be fun, even if you choose not to participate you can still follow and cheer on your fellow dealers.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting idea. I have a few comments and questions:

1. The title of this thread is "Tnet Challenge". What exactly is the challenge? To see who can raise the most money for their $25?

2. I don't know what the available charities are on eBay but I assume they are all reputable. Does eBay identify the charity if a seller indicates they are giving a portion of the proceeds to charity?

3. What is eBay's policy on putting something like "CHARITY AUCTION" in the listing title?

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting idea. I have a few comments and questions: 1. The title of this thread is "Tnet Challenge". What exactly is the challenge? To see who can raise the most money for their $25? 2. I don't know what the available charities are on eBay but I assume they are all reputable. Does eBay identify the charity if a seller indicates they are giving a portion of the proceeds to charity? 3. What is eBay's policy on putting something like "CHARITY AUCTION" in the listing title?

Hi. Ive had a really bad day. But now that I got that off my chest...

They have when your listing an item the option of donating to a particular charity. I believe you can say that in the listing is for charity and it would show a ribbon next to your listing as well. To show that it is a charity auction. I don't remember directly what all there are but I remember there was quite a few to choose from and you could also add your own I believe.

I'm not really sure what the challenge would be other then what can you get for $25 or whatever the set amount would be to sell for the benefit of someone else...

Like a maybe I went out today and spent $20 on a set of silverplated flatware that sells for $80? I don't know it was just something I was thinking about last night.

I was thinking it's easy to belong to a group like this and myself personally have spent a lot of time showing off things that I bought. Looking around my room and seeing how much junk I have in there and none of it has any meaning to me whatsoever... I just thought hey maybe we could do something as a Internet group that would take very little effort and help somebody that could use the extra help.

I guess it's in my blood. We have 2 kids staying with us for two weeks that I did not know before they came here three days ago. They have had horrible crappy lives one is 2 years old the other is 11 months. Their family is homeless they have nothing besides each other.

I'm not saying let's donate millions of dollars. But I have this idea of using something I'm good at to help someone but my donation is very minimal. But as a group we have the possibility to change somebody's life with 10 minutes of work we do every single day anyways.

Maybe I have taken this whole Internet thing too seriously but from the time I've been on here I have talk to some of you guys on the phone. I have emailed back-and-forth and just had discussions on here. I don't mind keeping this thread going for as long as possible. And also I don't mind writing a letter to whatever charity was picked and saying this is what we're thinking about doing and what what our money get directed towards or something along that line. But I just thought it would be something neat to read updates of and continue on.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright so I'm going to try to post on here some pictures of where you would click on the part of donating to charity or giving. For others who are not familiar with where to do it.

So when you're ready to do your listing. When you come down to the price there is at the top choose a format and price. Add or remove options.

image-1824040911.jpg

When you click the blue add or remove options on the right side there's a little box you click where it says give percentage of the final sale price to a nonprofit. Click on there on that box.

image-2495723302.jpg

Then you have another box to click where you can choose a selection of nonprofits. I already have a couple on mine but I have not used them for a while.

image-2354635421.jpg

There are 25,228 nonprofits on here that you can choose from. 2523 pages of nonprofits! And the first one has a lot of for Milyer names. The Humane Society, St. Jude's Children's Hospital, wounded warrior Project.

image-3078673808.jpg

image-3789671062.jpg

So for this one because I'm trying it out since I have not done it for a while this St. Jude's children's hospital. Then under that there is a percentage you can donate from 10% all the way up to 100%.

image-3014662702.jpg

Then when the item is listed there is a blue and yellow ribbon as well. Next to the title. This one's not going to sulfur very much but I wanted to try it first because I have not done one of these for a long time.

image-3889069471.jpg

And then before my description and has this on there.

image-2489781463.jpg

Now if I remember correctly after the sale you have to go into your account and actually pay or send payment to the charity. But I'm not hundred percent sure on that so I'll have to find that out after this one sells but if anyone else knows please let us know.

I think it would be easier for everybody just to pick their own charity or nonprofit but thank you for those of you who decide you want to do this! If you have any questions feel free to ask me. Or anyone else on here if you have any other thoughts. thank you again, have a good night!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all the info Beach! I will look through the charities available on eBay but I'm pretty sure I'd like to donate to our local animal shelter. Thanks. For reminding everyone that a little bit counts for a lot of these non-profits. I sold a bottle of perfume last summer that my BF picked at a GS for $1. She asked me to sell it for her on eBay and she was going to give all the $ to the church. After eBay/paypal & shipping cost she had around $107 to give.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
It's a great idea Beach. I have done that before. You can set your PP account to pay automatically. You also get a refund on your seller fees, depending on how much you donate. If you donate 100%, you get 100% back. If you give 50%, you get that much back. (in fees)

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Quick question for all - does anyone's employer match charitable contributions? I know at my work they will match 100% dollar for dollar any contribution. At least it used to be that way. I'm just not keen on donating to the United Way...but when they have a fundraiser for the Mercer Street children's fund, I'm all in.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good plan of the heart Beach, I'll think about it... I do have other charitable givings I commit to, but your idea sounds easy enough.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I need to get through this weekend. we have two extra kids and a bunch of yard sale stuff to get ready for. So I will try to get some stuff listed to donate and see how it goes!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Keppy, he is not asking you for a donation to any particular charity. If anyone wants to do this they pick where the donation goes to. (And I agree, there are to many solicitors out there.) I do not consider it a game but it sounds like a fun way to go about it to me. Sorry though, my donation will not be going to you :)

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like some said good thought …………. But count me out i do not have the time for games.. The charity that i always give to is ………..>> called ….. keppy .. ​Yes count me out .. I go to the store some one at the door asking… Do you want to donate give me money then ..At the check out will you give me money for this cause .. Then in the mail give me money … on the phone give me money .. you all drive me nuts… now here you want me to buy something sell it and give the money away .. If i wanted to donate i would … But not go through all this trouble to do it … If you really want to donate money … Just send it to ..keppy ..:thumbsup:

Lol....silverdollarbill loves people who talk about themselves in 3rd person

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for joining us all for not donating to keppy . You will be another one that is sick of all the solicitors out there wanting something all the time..

(I'm not writing any of this to be offensive so please just read and don't get mad)

Hey I didn't mean for any of this to be a problem. If you don't want to be involved that's fine. Nothing I'm forcing on anybody. I mean heck I've spent my whole entire life up before the last 8 years only caring about myself. I could care less about the person next to me the person behind me the person down the road... never gave two thoughts about anybody else in the world. Until the day I walked into the doctor and found out I couldn't have kids.... Tell that to your wife when you first get married see how that goes... When you're trying to have children and you've been trying and trying and trying and nothings happening there's no kids... there's no babies.

You know there's a lot of people after your money. A lot of scammers a lot of solicitors a lot of crooks a lot of government a lot of everything coming to get your money. It's not going to stop and never will. But I'll tell you , the day you open your heart to helping somebody, it will change your heart forever. That's why I suggested $25. If not that, a $1 or .50 cents. I don't know your situation or anybody else's. And quite frankly I thought this would be a good idea because I kind of think of a lot of people on here are good people not only that but kind of like an Internet family deal. We do like the same stuff right?

I mean I don't know. I took a look at my stuff and figured out real quick that yes it pays the bills. Yes it gives me money to do whatever I want to be with my family. Yes I have a lot of stuff I do not need. Is there anything I can do to change somebody else's situation and can I tell other people about it?

Eight years ago I cannot have kids. I still can't. I have adopted three children and I have fostered over 50 more. If you don't want to be involved in something as simple as helping somebody else and that's fine.... But for me I will do it for the rest of my life. This is my story... And this is Who it began with.....

image-746958080.jpg

image-657369490.jpg

image-3900995324.jpg

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
You asked what do you think ……… So i answered what i thought …. And i do care about myself .. I will help out some one i know or one i see that needs help if i can.. But to give to a charity ..For Get It..

Last edited:

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in...have a random thing or two will list for .99 cents to see where it goes. When is this starting?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread