Anybody know anything about mini outboard motors?

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked up this miniature electric outboard motor a few weeks ago.

DSC05804.JPG

In working condition, these things can sell for around $200. This one appears to be in pretty good shape but it looks like a wire is missing. Note the top terminal on the red rectangle. There is a glob of solder there but no wire attached.

DSC05803.JPG DSC05805.JPG

I would also like to know what size battery these need to operate. I have been scouring the internet for a schematic or an operating manual but no luck. I did find an article describing the manufacturing history of the K&O company that made these. Interesting article but no help in testing or troubleshooting.

Does anybody here know anything about these?

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where is the end of the wire on the right?
looks like a little wire trimming and re-soldering should take care of that problem.
is that grey and black box a transformer? needs a little cleaning and repaint and that motor will look new.
if that box has that much corrosion it has probably been used a lot. might need the drive shaft pulled and greased.
sorry can't help about voltage. go to a local lake and look for someone running their boat

that is unless you live in MN at -42 right now ;)

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
@cyberdan - The black box is a magnet. I don't know if they were sold in dealerships or not but they were certainly used as a working motor for toy boats. The K&O company produced a wide variety of these in the 1950s and 60s. Some of them are worth very good money. Search the sold listings on ebay for "K&O toy outboard motor" and you will see what I mean.

@coldshuz - Thanks for the link!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
WOW the price on them on Ebay is crazy .. If it was mine i would sure try to get it fixed …Now i will look for them

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread