only if the well water has a high sulfer content

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ph seems to be the greatest factor the lower the Ph the greater the reaction with Copper. Strive fo 6.8-7.2 if possible. Sulphur will turn silver black. Nothing that I know of will do this to pure gold although cyanide, nitric and hyrochloric acids along with mercury and chlorine will disolve gold. Just sayin'

Last edited:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ph seems to be the greatest factor the lower the Ph the greater the reaction with Copper. Strive fo 6.8-7.2 if possible. Sulphur will turn silver black. Nothing that I know of will do this to pure gold although cyanide, nitric and hyrochloric acids along with mercury and chlorine will disolve gold. Just sayin'

i agree. Most jewelry is not pure gold though. It's not the actual gold having the reaction. It's the metals that are mixed in with it. I don't think it would have an effect on 24k unless what you mentioned were used or similar.....or like the article said something is leaching out from casting or melt process.? That's why you will see it more in the lower kt's. 8k,10k,14k.Is what I saw it with the most. And one 18k watch case that I remember. It caused an argument, A friend said it wasn't real because gold doesn't tarnish. It was dark brown or a dark silver looking color.It polished up very easy and was 18k.... It's really strange!

You can put a drop of nitric on 10k and it will start to brown. It's attacking the metals mixed in to make the 10k.Sometimes on 14k depending what's mixed in, the strength of the nitric, and time allowed to let it sit.

copper is mixed in, to make some kt gold. So that might be what's happening. I have know Idea!!! :laughing7: Just bored!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We have to keep in mind, that in the lessor grades much of the item is not gold. 10k gold is 14k 'something else' - like silver which is oxidize-able and becomes the sacrificial metal.
10k is 42% gold and 58% other metal...14k is 59% gold...18k is 75% gold.

Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
10k is 42% gold and 58% other metal...14k is 59% gold...18k is 75% gold.

And 24k is 100% (down to 99.5% allowed). Math that to 24-10 = 14 other stuff. similarly 24-14 = 10, hence your 58%, and 59% the other way (because it is actually 58.5%), must be a rounding error. I know we don't call the other stuff 'so much k', but the idea is the same.

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
And 24k is 100% (down to 99.5% allowed). Math that to 24-10 = 14 other stuff. similarly 24-14 = 10, hence your 58%, and 59% the other way (because it is actually 58.5%), must be a rounding error. I know we don't call the other stuff 'so much k', but the idea is the same.

Yes, He's looking at percentages, your looking at it in parts.(?) I was just rereading. I think it's the same thing, just said different ways. 14k is .585, 58.5% or 59% rounded. or 14 parts of 24... 10 parts or 41.5%, 42% rounded, other metals. :tongue3:

All the same. I understood the posts from both, I think. :dontknow:

Last edited:
Apr 17, 2014
Tartarus Dorsa mountains
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes, He's looking at percentages, your looking at it in parts.(?) I was just rereading. I think it's the same thing, just said different ways. 14k is .585, 58.5% or 59% rounded. or 14 parts of 24... 10 parts or 41.5%, 42% rounded, other metals. :tongue3:

All the same. I understood the posts from both, I think. :dontknow:

Well ... the only reason I answered it back was because he brought it - for - 'I have no clue why'. No offense lookingdown, but what was the point? Anyway, we are all just having fun. And if your well water reacts with gold, don't drink the water :D

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well ... the only reason I answered it back was because he brought it - for - 'I have no clue why'. No offense lookingdown, but what was the point? Anyway, we are all just having fun. And if your well water reacts with gold, don't drink the water :D

Lol Ya.....it's winter time boredom for me!!!!! I'm not even sure what I'm even typing or why! Just something to do!
It's all for fun!

I drank some gold one time! I got a reaction! But it wasn't from the gold in the bottle! :laughing7: Ohhh, that's a different topic! :laughing7:

Nitric

Silver Member
Mar 8, 2014
Dallas,GA
Detector(s) used
CZ6A
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well I have not read the last 15 posts..... However I'm not sure I want to either....

LOL yes, there is some very important technical stuff in the last few! Sry! Got carried away! :laughing7:

pat-tekker-cat

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2011
S. Fl.
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II, Garrett, Tesoro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in South Florida. The tap water down here is disgusting. Not to mention the well water is horrible too. It tastes just as bad as it smells! I mean I can understand why it turns gold colors. It turns your stomach as soon as you drink it! Back home we used to run through the sprinklers all the time. Here you ran through the sprinklers and you smell like a garbage compactor for the rest of the day! Fortunately the weather makes up for all the bad stinky sprinklers!
We call it skunk water down here. LOL And, it smells like a skunk ate a rotten chicken and pooped out bad eggs!

You can't drink that stuff unfiltered! Will definitely deter vampires, gold-diggers, nuns, and preppies.
Trust me, you don't want to have to shower at the Miccosouki truck stop, there in the middle of the alley!
They don't sell enough cologne and perfume in the state of Florida, to cover that funk!
That's one thing I DON"T miss from staying out there!

lookindown

Gold Member
Mar 11, 2010
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250,AT PRO, CZ21...RTG pro scoop...Stealth 720
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The point was I didn't know what you were talking about...You were breaking it down into "parts" and calling it karats...never heard gold described that way...so you meant a 14k gold ring alloyed with silver is 14k gold and 10k silver?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions