Any Fishing Lure Collectors in Here? Found a strange lure this weekend

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went to a great sale this past Saturday and ended up with a great lot of items to put in my collections or possibly do some trading with friends, including this fishing lure

The deceased homeowner had a large collection of tackle in his garage and most of it was pretty dinged up. I never really buy lures because of what I learned from talking to some serious bait collectors I see once in a while so I usually pass on used stuff

This one was a bit different and it was included with my other items so it didn't cost me a thing

There are no markings anywhere and the length of the silver cylinders measure approx 6", end to end.

Does anybody has an idea of what fish it targeted or if it's home made or commercial?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    350.2 KB · Views: 153

Molewacker

Bronze Member
Feb 9, 2015
Yacolt WA
Detector(s) used
EQ 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! Are the cylinders weighted or hollow?

Weighted I would think Jigging - Hollow, Drift or Trolling.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have mostly fished fresh water lake and off the pier in the ocean. The size and shape of this I would assume its more for a river. My best guess is trout.

The spacers between the lures are the only thing I have not seen. I have never been trout fishing but I would guess that would probably be the exact number of hooks that would result in a long conversation with a game warden. More than that would probably confirm you were trying to snag a fish. I highly doubt you could go to a store today and buy a similar set rig.

I think someone else will probably jump in but that might give you a little direction.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
looks like a deep multi fly type trolling rig --being it has a spinner at the front and multiple weights as spacers --or a surface type lure if the spacers are light and hollow .. say for trolling for trout either trolling behind a boat on a lake or on a river --casting downstream and bringing it back thru the current-- as a life long fisherman that would be my best guess --or maybe jigged thru a ice hole ...

by the way how much did they want for the "basket of old dinged up" lures ? and if it didn't sale --would you get them for me and mail them to me if I sent you the cash to do so ?
-- I just love old lures

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting! Are the cylinders weighted or hollow?

Weighted I would think Jigging - Hollow, Drift or Trolling.

Well they have some weigh to them but not much. They might be plaster filled but it's definitely not lead filled. I could get a weight sometime this week and go from there

OP
OP
B

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looks like a deep multi fly type trolling rig --being it has a spinner at the front and multiple weights as spacers --or a surface type lure if the spacers are light and hollow .. say for trolling for trout either trolling behind a boat on a lake or on a river --casting downstream and bringing it back thru the current-- as a life long fisherman that would be my best guess --or maybe jigged thru a ice hole ...

by the way how much did they want for the "basket of old dinged up" lures ? and if it didn't sale --would you get them for me and mail them to me if I sent you the cash to do so ?
-- I just love old lures

I don't know what they were charging for the lures but some were permanantly bonded to the tackle box after melting to the plastic. The next time I find a large lot of lures for cheap, I'll pick them up and contact you

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
modern type rubber worms melt blended into the plastic boxes --nah --but if you see some old wood or hard plastic type plug type lures (the older the better) or nice spoons or spinner type lures --oh yah --I'd love em.. to fish with seems that modern fish have "forgotten" about those older lures and will bite them better than all the newer modern lures that everyone is throwing at them..

Peachy

Feb 16, 2015
High Lonesome
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
30363978_1_l.jpg It looks like a fantasy piece put together on a night like this. If my memory serves me right the cylinders are what were called floating sinkers. near neutral bouyancy . Used for casting weight and then slowly sink. IMHO someone just put a bunch of parts together.

Last edited:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
Produced by the Keating Manufacturing Corporation in Denver, Colorado in the 1950s,

Good i.d. Peachy.
No find of any lures sold. Just the sinkers. Suggests it was a home build.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread