Theres No gold!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When you go to a yard sale or estate sale and you hear this from the person selling the jewelry. It means look at everything! I can't tell you how many times I've heard somebody say there's no gold here we took it all out.

Today was no different. Stopped at one at 10:30 this morning. The lady had all these cases for jewelry at this estate sale. Now I did not make a killing but she said specifically there was no gold everything was Sterling or gold filled. They took out all the gold... I said that's okay I was still like to have a look and see what she has.

First is a small pendant Marked 10 K.

image-2500518287.jpg

That was hanging on a necklace Marked 14 K.

image-2783040356.jpg

Then a bag full of miscellaneous stuff but all the clasps are Marked 14 K as well.

image-3990157216.jpg

image-1381609534.jpg

image-2494810992.jpg

I'm not sure what the one is with the pearl on top. I took a picture of the bottom as well it doesn't look like it's a clasp for a bracelet I have no idea.
But I spent $35. On their no gold selection. And got 7.9 g of 14k and 2 g of 10k plus some decent pieces of silver as well that are in the car.

So just a piece of advice when they say there's no gold, sometimes they are right. A lot of times they have no idea. when I hear the no gold I always look harder!

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people can be really rude about it too, I go a lot faster than I used to but some people still seem to get irritated by the fact that I'm actually looking at things before I buy.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some people can be really rude about it too, I go a lot faster than I used to but some people still seem to get irritated by the fact that I'm actually looking at things before I buy.

This is true! All these pieces were in cases. I asked to see all but 10 of them. She was kinda getting annoyed I think. But.... I had the $ so I wanted to see it all! I'm ok with spending $500+ but need to know what I'm getting too! I'm glad I did not go to the sale at 8 AM when it opens. I could tell it would've been absolute mayhem in there! There were probably 50 Hummels as well but they were all marked between $100- $150 if not more. Also a lot of glass. Some of you would have been happy! Minus the prices!

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It got so bad with one employee at a local thrift store that I actually took the time to track down a manager and complain. Lol. He told me that she's been with the company for 16 years, SHE'S HIS BEST FRIEND WITHIN SAID COMPANY, and, get this, "she's been talked to about this before she just has to be reminded sometimes". And this isn't a tiny store, they have a chain of 10 or 11 stores through the SW and the manager I talked to was the district manager. Not sure why I even bothered.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Great finds! The one in question with the Pearl appears to be a special type of clasp for a necklace and the clasp is actually the pendant. Just a guess but that it what it looks like to me!

Frank

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's true, bill. I just get frustrated when I'm prepared to spend good money and rather than taking 10-15 minutes to do their job and pull trays out of cases someone is literally sighing, rolling their eyes and/or grabbing another employee to "finish taking care of me". I agree with Beachkid, most of the time now I'm ready & willing to spend a few hundred bucks if I find great stuff somewhere but I want to be able to look at it first. I do wonder if I'm not undercutting her little piece of the pie as it were, I guess that's a better reason to get pissy than having to do your dang job? Anyway I guess that's something of a separate issue than the original point of this thread. As far as the "there's no gold or silver there" thing goes, it is pretty much a guarantee that there will be *something* good in there. I am constantly wondering how people can overlook hallmarks etc (I bought a "costume" 10k necklace for $4 shipped on eBay for instance, found it cuz the third picture in showed the back of the pendant with a HUGE 10k mark) but I try to nip that in the bud, gift horses & mouths & all that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions