OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhhh... I have never tried that before. So it just stays the same. Like a white/silver color? I know others have mentioned using the 18 k acid for sterling testing before on the forum but I guess I didn't pay attention to what it's supposed to do or not do on silver.

Yeah if it's not so over it goes away. So it's either white for silver or gone for not silver. The green or red or whatever it's supposed to turn with the silver color I could never tell the difference. With the 18 K it is white like milk. It'll go away for a second and then if it's real it comes back a bright milky white.

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That box is really nice. I would guess by the detail: definitely not plated, 800 silver or above, but % percentage silver doesn't really matter for something like that.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That box is really nice. I would guess by the detail: definitely not plated, 800 silver or above, but % percentage silver doesn't really matter for something like that.

My goal is to find out the maker, unfortunately I will probably never find out how much it's worth at least not for a while because I plan to put it in my silver display case for a while! I have wanted one for awhile.

I went to the flea market about 10 months ago and I was talking to a vendor when another vendor came into the same show room booth I was at and she purchased a sterling silver box for three bucks. I found out when I went in to her booth and she told me I was an idiot for talking instead of looking around because she bought a box and it was Marked 925 on the bottom of it. It was bigger than this one but it was just plain no details. I think hers was maybe 14 or 15 ounces. Made me sick so I've been hoping to find one for a while! Again something else I did not even know they made until she bought one.

The next item I want or at some point is a sterling silver flatware set. There was one on craigslist for $1000 service for 12 and I text him but he said he already sold it. Finding one for $20 would be better or $40, even $100!!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ohhhhh... I have never tried that before. So it just stays the same. Like a white/silver color? I know others have mentioned using the 18 k acid for sterling testing before on the forum but I guess I didn't pay attention to what it's supposed to do or not do on silver.
It should turn a pale light blue due to the copper content in the silver alloy.

Beachkid- If I were you, I would join and contact someone here- Association of Small Collectors of Antique Silver - ASCAS -

I think you have something special there myself.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stop by and auction house here in Florida and consigned the silver Ivory forks. With them for their auction. Now the box.

image-4168845864.jpg

They said the first marking is a rooster. Then this one and the other Mark and I can't member what it's called again. He said it sterling silver and he thought it was worth about four to $500 in the auction. I'm not going to sell it though I like it and I would like to find out more about it before I sell it. The auction house is going to get all of my ivory jewelry from now on along with probably some other stuff as well in the future depending on how these do! I'm going to hit one more place to see if they will tell me anything about the box so we will see from there...

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's not a rooster either. It's a wing! 1920 era. Sterling silver still don't know the maker.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread