First big auto parts score!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey All,

Figured I'd update everyone on my junkyard trolling! I went several times last fall and got a handful of stuff, discovered a few easy to pull $2 items that move quickly at $45 and such, which was nice. On one trip I found a severely totaled 2004 BMW 745li, a pretty nice car. I knew it was full of valuable parts, but as a total junkyard newbie I didn't want to gamble. On my last trip to the yard a few days later I decided I needed to buy something off of it just to try, so I bought all 5 headrests for $40. They were super clean and I figured there might be some money there. Fast forward to yesterday when I finally pulled them out, photographed them, and listed them. This morning I wake up and the two front headrests have already sold, for $250 + shipping! Looks like I'm going back!

20150305_Mbowman_2389.JPG

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Keene A52 with Gold Hog mats
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know the local junk yard owner here. They just crush everything, if you want something...pull it yourself. he told me strip it, ebay it, give me 30% (he doesn't do ebay). Dash parts are worth a fortune! Glove box, instrument bezels, door panels etc.
Someone needs to start an auto parts thread, list the popular cars/parts. I check out new arrivals and look them up on ebay. Current auctions and sold listings. I just looked up sold listings BMW 745....wow!

Last edited:

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, there is a lot of money in auto parts. You can sell basically anything. I do 1973-1979 ford trucks and 1973-87 chevy trucks mainly, but I have done others. I'm more into the fords, but my dad has started the chevy's more and he is doing pretty well. Gauge clusters, sun visors, vent glasses, chrome, emblems, wiring harnesses, door panels, ac parts, radius arms, knuckles, steering columns, steering wheels, 4 speed and 4x4 parts all do well to name a few. Of course these are off the older trucks that I named above.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Dodge Ram second generation trucks are gold mines. I have done EXTREMELY well on these. As mentioned dash, wiring, trim, interior, but don't forget other parts underneath that are typically rusted out in the snowy road salt states. Parts like pickup spring hangers, bumper brackets, exhaust hangers, body mounts, eat. You get the idea. The more you do the better you'll become at knowing what to pull. Keep us posted!

Sent from a empty soda can!

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, that is a good point DieselRam. Anything under it as well. After I do a truck there is nothing left at all good, except maybe leaf springs, or the front end if it is a 2 wd.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Dodge Ram second generation trucks are gold mines. I have done EXTREMELY well on these. As mentioned dash, wiring, trim, interior, but don't forget other parts underneath that are typically rusted out in the snowy road salt states. Parts like pickup spring hangers, bumper brackets, exhaust hangers, body mounts, eat. You get the idea. The more you do the better you'll become at knowing what to pull. Keep us posted!

I can tell you from experience, this isn't exclusive to Dodge.

I am constantly buying the same parts for my old rusty Ford truck too. :laughing7:

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Yeah, that is a good point DieselRam. Anything under it as well. After I do a truck there is nothing left at all good, except maybe leaf springs, or the front end if it is a 2 wd.

Don't forget the front spindles may sell as well and springs. Lots of people are returning their lowered trucks to factory ride height. Sometimes even frame sections can have value.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
I can tell you from experience, this isn't exclusive to Dodge.

I am constantly buying the same parts for my old rusty Ford truck too. :laughing7:

Lol! We need a picture of the old girl!

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Around here those trucks are gone fast! People love them

OP
OP
B

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good to know, and thanks for all of the responses! It was pretty crazy for me, and definitely gave me the itch! The yard I go to is great, it's cheap and most of the Maryland cars are mostly rust free. There aren't that many trucks that aren't completely thrashed, but I appreciate the tips! What it lacks in trucks it makes up for in 10 or less year old cars, and a lot of them luxury brands. Baltimore may be poor, but we're surrounded by some of the richest counties in the country. I think a lot of cars from insurance auctions end up here, so the cars are a mix of baltimore beaters and nice county rides. I'll keep posting if I do well on other items!

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, spindles and springs as well. I've even sold the factory lift blocks. It's good that your yards are pretty cheap. Around here I don't have that problem. :BangHead: DieselRam is right jerseyben. We need a picture. :thumbsup:

trdking

Gold Member
Feb 28, 2015
Fullerton CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030
AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friends there is money laying around all over the place just waiting for someone to bend over and pick it up!

I have bought and paid for a house entirely with things I got for free or next to nothing and sold for a profit!
Life is grand and freebies are a 100 grand! I love this site

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, spindles and springs as well. I've even sold the factory lift blocks. It's good that your yards are pretty cheap. Around here I don't have that problem. :BangHead: DieselRam is right jerseyben. We need a picture. :thumbsup:

Shipping spindles and springs must be a bear! Not the word I wanted to use...but...

Oregon Viking

Gold Member
Jan 6, 2014
Brookings-Harbor Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's prizm IV
Gold-N-Sand hand dredge
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Friends there is money laying around all over the place just waiting for someone to bend over and pick it up!

I have bought and paid for a house entirely with things I got for free or next to nothing and sold for a profit!
Life is grand and freebies are a 100 grand! I love this site

I like the way you roll!

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Shipping spindles and springs must be a bear! Not the word I wanted to use...but...

Just pass the cost along...leaf springs I won't fool with though.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:

Bassmaster96

Bronze Member
Feb 5, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best I can remember I sat on them for a while. I think I got about what you are asking out of them as well.

I don't mess with leaf springs either unless its local sell.

Shipping some of the bigger stuff isn't much fun. I've shipped power steering boxes, bell housings, and frontend axles. My dad has done radius arms and complete air conditioner systems out of these trucks. You just have to make sure you have insurance and tape them very well.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
That front end axel must have cost a lot!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread