Christmas in March and the weirdest auction ever

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I stopped by a yard sale on Friday on the way to work because I saw this ceramic Christmas tree in the background of one of the pictures in their Craigslist ad.

DSC05927.JPG
These ceramic Christmas trees are very popular. Big ones like this sell for around $200. Some of them have a music box base and sell for upwards of twice that. I paid $30 for it.

Yesterday I went to the weirdest auction I have ever been to. The ad was strange in that they only advertised on Craigslist and the auctioneer provided a personal phone number for more info. When I got there to scope out what they were selling, I learned that this guy used to work for the IRS selling confiscated property but this sale was his wife’s parent’s estate. There wasn’t a whole lot of great interest (rather typical estate sale stuff) but there was enough for me to stick around and see if many people would show up and how the prices were going. Besides, they weren’t charging tax or BP.

One of the weirdest things about this auction is this guy sold almost every little nickel and dime item as a separate lot. Here are some examples of individual lots: a baggie of a dozen or so mixed pieces of cheapo stainless steel flatware, a group of three dish towels, a little planter with silk flowers, a small group of nondescript plates and cups. I mean this is the kind of stuff that probably wouldn’t even sell at a yard sale and this guy auctioned it. No choice tables, no large groupings (with one notable exception). He could have completed this sale in less than 2 hours but it took almost twice that long. One of the oddities was a sugar, creamer, and butter dish set of cheap silver plate. He tried to sell it as sterling. Nobody was fooled. It sold for $1.

Anyway, only about 10 people showed up and half of them seemed to be this guy’s friends. It became clear very quickly that this stuff was going to sell CHEAP. There were a few pieces I was interested in so I stuck around. Here is a pic of the scene (more stuff was on the back porch):

photo.JPG

So here is what I got:

DSC05931.JPG
Sony home theater set for $45. This was one of the most expensive items of the day. Several of this model (without speakers) have sold on ebay for around $200. I’m going to try to sell it on CL first.

DSC05932.JPG
A nice space heater with remote control for $20. Not sure what this might sell for but it has to be way more than that.

DSC05929.JPG DSC05930.JPG
Two metal nativity sets for $45. These were sold in the Bombay store years ago. One set (the smaller, 7 piece group) recently sold on ebay for $225. The weird part about this is, for some inexplicable reason, the auctioneer decided to sell a LARGE group of Christmas decorations (including these nativity sets) as a single lot. I didn’t want any of the other junk (ornaments, fake poinsettias, a fake Christmas tree, etc.) but I had to take that stuff to get the nativity sets. There was a lady bidding against me for this lot and after I bought it I approached her to see if she wanted any of the stuff I didn’t want. She too was mainly interested in the nativity sets but she did buy all the ornaments from me for $10.

Last edited:

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
God, I hope auctions at garage sales don't start happening here. On a Saturday morning, time is everything when you have multiple sales to hit. I would sure pass up an auction unless its in the middle of the week. Was he charging a buyer's premium, lol?

We have had some people charge admission to garage sales ($3.00 is what I remember, you can guess what there prices were like) and some church rummage sales are charging a preview fee ($10.00) to view and purchase the items the night before. Hope this doesn't become a trend.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
No, they didn't charge tax or BP and they would only accept cash payments. I think this was a unique situation so I don't think this is some new trend. The guy seemed to have experience as an auctioneer. He is the guy with his hand in the air in the picture above. They were well organized but they did a very poor job of marketing the auction. I very familiar with the regulars at estate sales and auctions around here and none of those folks showed up.

My suspicion is that the auctioneer's wife (like many yard sellers I have encountered) grossly overvalued her stuff. She is the woman on the left in the green jacket in the picture above. I suspect that is why so much low value stuff was sold as individual lots. I think she had this fantasy that by taking advantage of her husband's auctioneering experience and doing this sale as an auction instead of a regular estate sale that she would get much better prices. If that is what she thought, she was extremely disappointed. I spoke to her briefly a couple of times during the proceedings and, towards the end of things, she was getting kind of pissy. I think she was upset at the very low prices things were selling for but once she realized that she was stuck and had to let the auction play out.

lterrell

Oct 26, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I stopped by a yard sale on Friday on the way to work because I saw this ceramic Christmas tree in the background of one of the pictures in their Craigslist ad.

View attachment 1128500
These ceramic Christmas trees are very popular. Big ones like this sell for around $200. Some of them have a music box base and sell for upwards of twice that. I paid $30 for it.

Yesterday I went to the weirdest auction I have ever been to. The ad was strange in that they only advertised on Craigslist and the auctioneer provided a personal phone number for more info. When I got there to scope out what they were selling, I learned that this guy used to work for the IRS selling confiscated property but this sale was his wife’s parent’s estate. There wasn’t a whole lot of great interest (rather typical estate sale stuff) but there was enough for me to stick around and see if many people would show up and how the prices were going. Besides, they weren’t charging tax or BP.

One of the weirdest things about this auction is this guy sold almost every little nickel and dime item as a separate lot. Here are some examples of individual lots: a baggie of a dozen or so mixed pieces of cheapo stainless steel flatware, a group of three dish towels, a little planter with silk flowers, a small group of nondescript plates and cups. I mean this is the kind of stuff that probably wouldn’t even sell at a yard sale and this guy auctioned it. No choice tables, no large groupings (with one notable exception). He could have completed this sale in less than 2 hours but it took almost twice that long. One of the oddities was a sugar, creamer, and butter dish set of cheap silver plate. He tried to sell it as sterling. Nobody was fooled. It sold for $1.

Anyway, only about 10 people showed up and half of them seemed to be this guy’s friends. It became clear very quickly that this stuff was going to sell CHEAP. There were a few pieces I was interested in so I stuck around. Here is a pic of the scene (more stuff was on the back porch):

View attachment 1128505

So here is what I got:

View attachment 1128504
Sony home theater set for $45. This was one of the most expensive items of the day. Several of this model (without speakers) have sold on ebay for around $200. I’m going to try to sell it on CL first.

View attachment 1128501
A nice space heater with remote control for $20. Not sure what this might sell for but it has to be way more than that.

View attachment 1128502 View attachment 1128503
Two metal nativity sets for $45. These were sold in the Bombay store years ago. One set (the smaller, 7 piece group) recently sold on ebay for $225. The weird part about this is, for some inexplicable reason, the auctioneer decided to sell a LARGE group of Christmas decorations (including these nativity sets) as a single lot. I didn’t want any of the other junk (ornaments, fake poinsettias, a fake Christmas tree, etc.) but I had to take that stuff to get the nativity sets. There was a lady bidding against me for this lot and after I bought it I approached her to see if she wanted any of the stuff I didn’t want. She too was mainly interested in the nativity sets but she did buy all the ornaments from me for $10.

Have you seen this set anywhere else? My mother has this set and we have been looking to purchase more for years now. Me and my sister would love to have some for ourselves.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread