May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow could it be any more obvious??? Picked this up today for $1.50 at a TS. Marked on back 4800 grains of Sterling silver. Converts to 11 oz of Sterling Silver. About $145 in scrap value! Best pick to date! The funny thing is the cashier turned over the plate and read it. She then said “Did you know this is sterling silver?” I said “it says grains of sterling, isn’t that how much silver is used in the plating process?” The edges are tarnished so it does look plated. I thought for sure she was going to pull it. Whew!
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426008300.080891.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1426008323.008521.jpg

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks Gord. You are correct. Either way the scarp value was based on grains converter.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The funny thing is the cashier turned over the plate and read it. She then said “Did you know this is sterling silver?” I said “it says grains of sterling, isn’t that how much silver is used in the plating process?
Why yes that's exactly what that means darlin! I think it would sell for more than scrap to the right person, especially if they work for Xerox.

The Fathers of Liberty Commemorative plate was issued in 1975 by Xerox Corporation, Rochester NY. Robert H. Ramp pf Rochester was commissioned to design the plate to serve exclusivity as an award for outstanding Xerox sales performers. The American Mint of Rochester executed the plate. A total of 2035 were issued as a Registered Limited Edition.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
The funny thing is the cashier turned over the plate and read it. She then said “Did you know this is sterling silver?” I said “it says grains of sterling, isn’t that how much silver is used in the plating process?” The edges are tarnished so it does look plated. I thought for sure she was going to pull it.

Yeah. It makes me uneasy to have to lie to get a good deal. I guess I just don't need that metal enough to lie for it. Even if it is an organization like GW... an organization based on lies...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah. It makes me uneasy to have to lie to get a good deal. I guess I just don't need that metal enough to lie for it. Even if it is an organization like GW... an organization based on lies...

No big deal. It's not his job to go in there and set the price for stuff. Even if they caught it more than likely the girls gonna sell it to him any ways. I worked at one for six months. They have so much stuff come in, they don't care what it sells for. Then the stuff they do price high sits there for six months or longer cause nobody buys it anyways.

You get a good deal once in a while it'll keep you going back forever. You overprice all your stuff and nobody ever comes to your store, you go out of business. just like a yard sale I let the person set the price. If they say a $1. 25 for their 18 karat gold necklace than a $1.25 it is. I get a phone call to go to their house I'm going to weigh that sucker out and give them 80-85% of spot.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My reply was just a joke, the first line anyway.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread