More Thrift Store Sterling and Four Unusual Figurines

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good evening everyone. I hit up a major chain thrift store at lunch today and came away with a great little 73g piece of Sterling by Gorham. I paid $.99, and I should get upwards of $50 for it. It's a pierced heart-shaped bowl. Not sure how the store missed it, as it says 'Sterling' plain as day, as you can see. Buyers might have overlooked it since the price sticker all but covered the markings. I had to peel back the corner to get a glimpse.
IMG_2529.JPG IMG_2531.JPG
Some of you might remember my big sterling score from a chain thrift store in Southern Arizona last month. Link here: http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/garage-sale-finds/451142-thrift-store-sterling.html
I ended up selling the tray for almost $450 but the buyer returned it for a refund because after polishing it he noticed a tiny flaw, and in good faith, I had advertised it as being free of imperfections. So, back to the drawing board. The good news is, the buyer put a lot of elbow grease into it before sending it back! Check it out!
IMG_2510.JPG
And lastly, I picked up these four small statuettes today. They depict four tribal or Hawaiian type figures maybe in different poses? They are some kind of clay material painted to look like wood. There are no maker's marks of any kind that I can see. The tallest one measures about 5". Any input would be appreciated, such as keywords for listing or estimated age etc. Thanks in advance!
IMG_2528.JPG

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Got one myself the other day marked clear as could be. If they caught everything we would never go.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your Hawaiian figures are typically called menehunes. They differ from the Coco Joe's versions that are made from lava usually. Yours were made by Treasure Craft. They date from the early 70's probably.

OP
OP
SDIceMan

SDIceMan

Nov 12, 2013
Southern California
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the great information diggummup! I hit up a different local thrift on my lunch today and scored some more silver - a 1943 Coro powder compact with a sterling silver (marked) lovebirds medallion, and a sterling silver Diablo belt buckle with Shriners logo. The compact was on a shelf with miscellaneous odds and ends, and the buckle was on a belt hanging with dozens of other belts. Paid $5.60 out the door. :thumbsup:

compact.JPG buckle.JPG

The buckle is only marked sterling, but is there any chance the Shriners scimitar and crescent are a 10k overlay? I know Diablo worked with 10k and 14k a lot, but I assume that would be marked as well.

Happy hunting!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions