First Time Estate Sale, Can you help me spot some gems?

buncle

Aug 5, 2011
I am looking to go to my very first estate sale. Can you eagle eyes help me spot some things that should get a closer look? Also maybe help with pricing? I am mainly a video game/small electronics guy so this is a little outside my comfort zone.

Thanks, Jordan

3 Generations Career RAILROAD! 3 Generations of Treasures in this Home! | EstateSales.org Website and pictures of items

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice! I don't even know how to begin, so I'll just start off with one: those railroad locks are worth a bunch, usually $50+ per. Also if you grab those hats I'll buy em off you if the price is right!

Sam Cobra

Oct 22, 2014
Nevada
Detector(s) used
Minelab Quattro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice Sale. Be prepared.

Judging by the pictures taken, there is some really nice items available. For certain, items will be priced near or above ebay. Expect hordes of folks who have the same idea you do. Some of my best finds at garage sales, etc have been in the smaller items or overlooked items. Whoever this company is, has done an excellent job in presenting everything that is available. If they did this amount of work in just the presentation, expect the prices to be high. The better items will be gone within the first half hour or less.

There is no harm in bringing your smartphone if you have one & checking prices. If you key in on an item using the pictures shown, you can check prices beforehand & see what they are going for. All of the items appear to be in better condition. Get your ebay or collectible price app & use it on your smartphone when you are at the sale.

I do notice that allot of people tend to overlook things if there is a sensory overload. Take your time, hold your ground if you are looking at something & try to be polite. The last day if anything is left, is the best time to pick up items for less. They obviously want to try to sell everything. Good luck.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sam Cobra gives good advice. (BTW-Welcome to the GS forum to both of you!) So many good things to look through at that sale! I'm envious. They just don't have sales like that down here. No one has been living on the same property for more than 40-50 years tops down here, usually a lot less. I notice they do have .25, .50, $1 and $2 boxes of stuff in the garage. With the volume it has, I'd almost guarantee there is something to be found that they overlooked at this sale. I'd check out those hard hats if the price is right, not the Union Pacific one though. I personally like the "trench art" anti aircraft gun ashtray. Check the box of .50 jeans in the garage for any old levis or old Lee jeans. Here is a link with info on dating them- Vintage Levi's Jeans Guide and Rawr Denim's History of Lee Jeans

Good luck and let us know how it goes... even if you don't score anything.

jamey

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the arrowheads and the cabose stove look good

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
There is LOTS of good stuff at this sale IF.... the price and condition is right. Bring a good flashlight and look carefully inside every box, bin, bag, and case there. Good luck! And welcome to TNet!

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
OK I'll be serious but just for a minute. I like the RR locks and if there are any keys those are good too. I was told by a friend who collects that stuff that after Sept. 11 the government made it illegal to buy & sell the keys because they were afraid terrorists would use them to change the railroad switches & cause derailments. No clue if it's true. Also some of those wooden boxes would be a good buy, especially the RR marked box & the Sears ammo box, The old signs. None of the metal cans appeared to be particularly old and the 8 track tapes are near worthless. The sewing machine & the typewriters might make you a few bucks but only if they can be bought cheap. Most of the toys and the model train isn't particularly old. 60s-80s or so I'm guessing. The drop front Governor Winthrop style desk is nice and I have one exactly like it that was my dads and is from the 50s. That style has been around a long time though so no clue of the age of that one. The slot machine looks to be old and will likely bring north of $1000. The other stuff is simply not anything I would feel comfortable commenting on. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK I'll be serious but just for a minute. I like the RR locks and if there are any keys those are good too. I was told by a friend who collects that stuff that after Sept. 11 the government made it illegal to buy & sell the keys because they were afraid terrorists would use them to change the railroad switches & cause derailments. No clue if it's true.
It's true. Here- Government, transit, and shipping-related items policy

"Keys, locks, tools, or anything (regardless of how old the item is) that can control transit vehicles. Examples include railway switch keys or switch lock keys."

dogteam

Jul 31, 2012
Edmonton, AB
Detector(s) used
Eurotek Pro, 8" coil
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Check the cap pistols, they usually sell well. Though I personally like old typewriters, I wouldn't take them for free, too hard to resell.
Where I am, the guns, scabbards, traps all sell well. If you find yourself really bored after all the rest, sit and leaf through the sheet music, look for '50's- early 60's rock and roll, put on eBay. Wish I knew more about the violins, or even the violin bows....i know nice examples can be extremely desirable. I'd grab the arrowhead frame if cheap enough, just because I collect. Slot looks like a 1948 Mills, if working is worth about $1300.
Like others have said, your best deals will probably be hidden away in bags and boxes.

Last edited:

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A lot of it may be priced close to retail, just by the way everything is displayed. You can look up some of the obvious items on ebay and see at a glance once you get inside how the company priced things. Get there way early, be up front in line, and have a high end item identified to buy from those pics -- knowing what you are prepared to pay for it.

If prices are retail, I would let the collectors fight over the obviously collectible stuff and I would be looking under tables and in the garage and in those boxes for things the company overlooked. If not, you will have to make a choice between looking prices up and being sure about what you buy, and buying blind but being faster.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Some nice toys. Trains are so - so best are Lional. Tonka toys if they are not plastic are good. If there are big toys there will be smaller ones. Remember toys from the 60s- 80s are now considered vintage. Most of the time toys being sold like this are at their peak price. Watch for the ones left off of the display table. Just a word of advice, if you think you like something carry it around while you look at other stuff. Gives you time to really think about it without someone else wanting to grab it up. Then if you do not want it you put it back.

mpwuzhere

Mar 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The rifles....train sets that are still in boxes is a plus. Stay away from the skiis....all they are good for is to be nailed to a wall (Got that from someone who waxed my skiis and I still have my "skinny racing skiis"..)
Silver might be worth something as long as it's not plated. I've seen some violins fetch a pretty nice amount...but not me personally...just from tv shows and such. If you can get a lot for cheap (like $20 a piece)...it might be worthwhile. The pop guns are just awesome, if they are the original metal ones...I loved those as a kid. When the plastic ones came out it wasn't the same and I lost interest.

OP
OP
B

buncle

Aug 5, 2011
Sorry to disappoint you all, but I got called into work today and couldn't get out of it. Here's to hoping for next time.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread