Antique furniture, how much would you pay?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am at a friends house and I have the opportunity to buy this. It has a little bit of problems with it but nothing too bad where it's broken beyond repair. It has the mayor just it's not in it right now because they're moving. I believe it's solid cherry and just wondering what you think fair price for it would be? What to call it as well!

image-1472021813.jpg

image-3322868994.jpg

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rococo Revival style Hall Tree is what occurs to me.

Google rococo revival hall tree or rococo revival etagere

I would also Google eastlake hall tree since it is not as ornate as baroque/rococo revival pieces I have seen and has simpler lines that characterize Eastlake period furniture. Could be a transitional piece post civil war. The type of wood joiningswould help to date it.

Last edited:

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beachkid.....just be careful dumping alot of money on stuff you dont have a) experience with or b) room to store

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
beachkid.....just be careful dumping alot of money on stuff you dont have a) experience with or b) room to store

I know, I have a max $150 to spend on it. It matches the furniture in my office. My wife doesn't like it. I will try to get some pictures of the joints tomorrow on it. Thanks.

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
$50.00 you still have to replace the period mirror that is missing....

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Alright. It does have the mirror. But they're getting ready to move and it's packed. But there's also A glass shelf as well that is there. Just not in the picture because it is packed as well. They are able to get them out that all should I decide to buy it.

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
I'm no expert at all but the money is made at the buy! $50.00 max if mirror and shelf are dug out and included. Remember your wife doesn't like it so you may be selling it shortly! lol! No sense messing with it if you can't make some good cash quickly on it! It is hard to ship!

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
It is a Antique Mirrored Etagere (basically a fancy Curio Shelf) and some that are quite elaborate are very valuable! What you believe is Cherry is quite possibly Rosewood or Black Mahogany. The Makers name is usually on the nicer pieces such as this one and it should be on the back. The Maker of the piece could date it as well as make it very valuable! I believe round mirrored Etageres are fairly rare as most of the ones made had square, rectangular or oval shaped mirrors. Search eBay and Google and you will see that most of the nicer and more elaborate Etageres are often worth from $1,000 upwards to $10,000 or more.

Frank

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It can be VERY expensive to restore furniture. If it needs any more than just minor work, I would pass.

I concur that my max would be $50 on this piece.

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I wouldn't touch that with a 10 foot pole. You could pay me $10 to put it in my trash can. Building and Antiquing a new base, refinishing the gingerbread all around the piece, New mirror, and at best, you would end up with a piece that would retail for $100. It is a loser coming out the door (at least in my opinion).

dieselram94

Gold Member
Jun 17, 2011
Mid Coast Maine
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tesoro Sand Shark, Garrett Pro Pointer (mine). Fisher F2 my son's
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Sooooo....did you buy it?

Sent from a empty soda can!

dieselram94

Gold Member