Vintage Bell RT racing helmet with Honda and JT racing stickers

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I picked this helmet up at a sale and wondered if anybody could estimate the value. I see several on Ebay byt none with the original numbers and stickers of this model. I have a guy who is coming to pick up something he bought from me off a swap site and he wanted to look at the helmet. I am trying to come up with a fair price for both of us. Thanks for any help,

Attachments

• 1a4.jpg
    1a4.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 500
  • 1a1.jpg
    1a1.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 417
  • 1a2.jpg
    1a2.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 211
  • 1a3.jpg
    1a3.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 155
  • 1a6.jpg
    1a6.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 202

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Here is a similar helmet that recently sold on eBay for $250:

Vintage 1960s Bell Toptex JT Racing Team Motocross Helmet | eBay

But here is another that sold for only $50:

Vintage 1960 70s Super Magnum Bell JT Racing Team Motocross Helmet Sz s M 12 74 | eBay

That's a rather wide range but a price somewhere in between those two would seem appropriate. Now, if you could nail down who wore that number, it might help. JT Racing is still around. Maybe someone there could help ID who the helmet belonged to.

JTRacing

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here is a similar helmet that recently sold on eBay for $250:

Vintage 1960s Bell Toptex JT Racing Team Motocross Helmet | eBay

But here is another that sold for only $50:

Vintage 1960 70s Super Magnum Bell JT Racing Team Motocross Helmet Sz s M 12 74 | eBay

That's a rather wide range but a price somewhere in between those two would seem appropriate. Now, if you could nail down who wore that number, it might help. JT Racing is still around. Maybe someone there could help ID who the helmet belonged to.

JTRacing

Thanks Tallone, that is what I am seeing is a wide range of prices. The helmet based on the year and model in the present condition looks to be worth around $100. The decals are what is hard to place a value on, I guess it is what somebody is willing to pay for a certain look.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
It also has a team honda sticker on it but it doesn't mean that the previous owner raced for either. Back in the day, we all had those stickers on our helmets. The value is mainly in the helmet. Values vary widely on model, condition, accessories, and apparently time of day. You say RT in the heading but the helmet isn't shown from the inside. Hard to gauge value without the rest of the pics. Sure winners are bell moto 3, and old open faces with a sparkly flag motif, either American, British or others.

OP
OP
L

LaDigger

Mar 4, 2013
Spearsville La
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It also has a team honda sticker on it but it doesn't mean that the previous owner raced for either. Back in the day, we all had those stickers on our helmets. The value is mainly in the helmet. Values vary widely on model, condition, accessories, and apparently time of day. You say RT in the heading but the helmet isn't shown from the inside. Hard to gauge value without the rest of the pics. Sure winners are bell moto 3, and old open faces with a sparkly flag motif, either American, British or others.

The helmet is a RT made in 1979, the inside is not in great shape which is common with these. It still has the Bell size and warning stickers inside along with the SHCA certification sticker. I could be wrong but based on what I am seeing I do think the stickers and decal add to the value of this piece. I know a lot of these are bought to be restored and worn, I think this would be a display or wall hanger piece. Thanks for your opinion and information.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread