where do you guys buy precious metal from?

OP
OP
historyncoins1

historyncoins1

Feb 8, 2015
NW IL
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATMAX
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
OK thanks guys that's what I figured. Thanks y'all

mammoth29

Feb 22, 2013
Utah
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I have bought at all the places mentioned, I get most of mine from another website that I have been a member of for a few years and I know I can trust the individuals I deal with.

I really wish more treasure seekers on here would buy/sell their metal/coins more often.

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Though I have bought at all the places mentioned, I get most of mine from another website that I have been a member of for a few years and I know I can trust the individuals I deal with. I really wish more treasure seekers on here would buy/sell their metal/coins more often.

I have sold and bought on here. Been an easy transaction every time. That being said, I haven't lately.

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
usmint.gov says you can buy directly from them. Has anyone done this?

I've also read where a major bank can order them for you. Wouldn't getting it directly from the mint avoid the middle man costs?

I've just begun my own research, so I'm looking into purchasing options myself.

Screen Shot 2015-03-26 at 8.49.52 AM.png

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My best scores have come from large indoor antique malls and flea markets with many vendors in them. Some folks just don't know what they have. At yard sales I've have had some hits too, but you got to be the early bird on those and do a lot of driving around, sifting through all the crap. If you take note of were folks on this forum are finding the gold and silver you should be able to cop a clue.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
usmint.gov says you can buy directly from them. Has anyone done this?
ABSOLUTLY NOT !

If you are buying to buy silver the US mint is not the place to go. Way over priced. Silver is silver.

Silver for silver, the newest proof silver half is worth exactly the same as a tarnished 64 JFK.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
99% of all my silver coins were purchased at yard sales or contacts made at yard sales. And I paid under spot, sometimes more than the local coin stores sometimes less.

I even once bought coins that were from sunken treasure ships AT A YARD SALE! ;)
All were certified and I sold them to a regular "buddy" of Rick's in Pawn Stars.

No not chumlee

G.I.B.

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
North Central Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / GTI 2500 / Infinium LS / Tesoro Sand Shark / 1 Garrett Pro-pointer / 1 Carrot / Vibra Probe 580 (out on loan) / Lesche M85 / Mark1 MOD1 EyeBall
Primary Interest:
Other
ABSOLUTLY NOT !

If you are buying to buy silver the US mint is not the place to go. Way over priced. Silver is silver.

Silver for silver, the newest proof silver half is worth exactly the same as a tarnished 64 JFK.

Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I was wondering why they were a bit more. Perhaps it was because they only sell 'Proofs' but it's still just one ounce of silver... had me confused.

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you. I appreciate the advice. I was wondering why they were a bit more. Perhaps it was because they only sell 'Proofs' but it's still just one ounce of silver... had me confused.

The mint has to make money somewhere. And that somewhere would be from your pocket.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The mint is just a marketing company trying to sell their products. That is why they keep coming up with different items and ways to package them. Think of home shopping club. ;(

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions