What do you do with sterling handled things like these?

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
I find stuff like these occasionally at GW's and yardsales. Flatware where only the handle is silver. If they are not a desirable brand, what do you do with them?

DSCN3823.JPG

Thanks,
Kevo

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My husband will take a dremel with a disc and cut a line down the side. They peal open and the cement or filler gets tossed out and the rest scrapped. People also will make stuff out of them whole like wind chimes etc. Your spoon look pretty decorative and big. Sometimes the bigger serving pieces will get more because they can be hard to find even if it isn't a "high end" pattern. Your knife looks abused :).

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Kevo,

That cake server should be able to command a bit better than scrap value as is.

Regards + HH

Bill

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to check replacements.com 1st for a maker, pattern & value, if in good condition and no monograms. They could have a good replacement value to any one who has the same pattern and looking for more to add or complete a set. I pound around the weighted handles 1st to loosen up the cement pull the business end out, but use a knife or tin snips to remove the cement inside after that. In using a Dremel 2MN, you will lose some silver in the grindings cut from the path of the Dremel blade, plus get crap in your eyes if you not wearing safety glasses. I just found this weighted sterling brush at a YS for 3 bucks and stripped it last Sunday. I used the tin snips to cut the length of the handle to get all the pieces of cement out of it. The brush I just pulled out with my hands.

Attachments

• yard sales 1.jpg
    yard sales 1.jpg
    997.8 KB · Views: 96
  • yard sales 2.jpg
    yard sales 2.jpg
    851.5 KB · Views: 103

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock,

What did it finally weigh when you got down to just the sterling skin?

Thanks,
Bill

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tamrock,

What did it finally weigh when you got down to just the sterling skin?

Thanks,
Bill
59.2 grams. Around 30 bucks worth of spot .925 scrap. So cash value would be around $25.00 or so. I could maybe get a couple pizzas deliverd for that. Its all being stock piled for now.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Be sure to check replacements.com 1st for a maker, pattern & value, if in good condition and no monograms. They could have a good replacement value to any one who has the same pattern and looking for more to add or complete a set. I pound around the weighted handles 1st to loosen up the cement pull the business end out, but use a knife or tin snips to remove the cement inside after that. In using a Dremel 2MN, you will lose some silver in the grindings cut from the path of the Dremel blade, plus get crap in your eyes if you not wearing safety glasses. I just found this weighted sterling brush at a YS for 3 bucks and stripped it last Sunday. I used the tin snips to cut the length of the handle to get all the pieces of cement out of it. The brush I just pulled out with my hands.

Yes, he wears safety glasses and complains because it get hot sometimes. :) The blade is like a sand paper disc (sort of) and not to thick. There is some loss but not much and after trying to peel and struggle and having silver edges cut your fingers it's the easiest way for us. The silverware is the only things we have used this method for though.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, he wears safety glasses and complains because it get hot sometimes. :) The blade is like a sand paper disc (sort of) and not to thick. There is some loss but not much and after trying to peel and struggle and having silver edges cut your fingers it's the easiest way for us. The silverware is the only things we have used this method for though.
I have a Dremel and like to use it ever time I can. :thumbsup:

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I'm sorry, a bit off topic, but I picked up a Tiffany & Co. sterling bracelet at a YS for $15, and it acid tests fine. However, it is monogrammed with an "M", and I'm wondering if that should be polished off. If so, should I use a Dremel and what type of attachment? The monogram is not in too deep. Thanks!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm sorry, a bit off topic, but I picked up a Tiffany & Co. sterling bracelet at a YS for $15, and it acid tests fine. However, it is monogrammed with an "M", and I'm wondering if that should be polished off. If so, should I use a Dremel and what type of attachment? The monogram is not in too deep. Thanks!

I have never done anything like that. Not sure if it'd be a good or bad idea. Maybe someone with an "M"initial would buy it?

CladSpends2

Jan 11, 2010
Wilton, Maine
Detector(s) used
White's M6

Here is what I would do and have done a few times in the past on such objects: If you are selling on eBay, list the item as looking for an owner with an M initial. I say things like it is looking for a new owner or home with such a person residing there. I would never try and dremel it myself, but I would mention that if the new buyer's name does not start with an M and they don't want to go through the legal hassle of changing their name to one beginning with M, I don't see why it couldn't be polished off and redone with their own initial for a small fee at their favorite jewelers. I will joke about how maybe they always hated their given name and wished to be called Mary or Maggie, something like that. I have gotten positive feedback about the sense of humor the seller had. Just an idea, have fun with it, unless you are eBaying full time, it isn't our job and should be fun anyway. LOL

T.

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
here are two common types of silver pieces I strip for the skin. almost always 90% of the weight is filler and steel.

The two short ones are very easy. just takes a small hammer and needle nose pliers.
The one with the arms is more of a job. Those arms have a steel rod inside. I take vicegrips and loosley clamp it on the arm and twist, it will tear the silver and then I keep pulling on the skin with pliers. stop and repeat.

Now I only destroy un-sellable silver. if it is good shape I could get many times it's AG value on feeBay or one of the local antique stores that buy my GS finds.

Attachments

• EASY.JPG
    EASY.JPG
    29.2 KB · Views: 83
  • HARD.jpg
    HARD.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 82

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread