Estate lady hook up/referral- lots o silver

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Estate lady hook up/referral- lots 'o silver

I posted some about this in the coin forum. I did get to be the first one in to pick her estate sale so technically this can get posted here to!

First things first...my connection referred me to the estate owners who were not putting their coins in the sale so I sat down with two very nice old ladies and paid 2k flat for the following
71 common date and Varying condition Morgan and peace dollars (very few culls)
189 Washington quarters
4 canadian quarters
140 merc and Rosie dimes
9 half dollars
12 40% half dollars
1883cc GSA Morgan dollar
1884cc GSA Morgan dollar
1885cc GSA Morgan dollar

I think I did pretty good...will list a lot on ebay to recoup the 2k and hopefully keep the GSAs

I also picked this stuff for the sale...I bought a load of sterling for 150 i think I'll easily make that back plus some profit.

I'm most curious about the coin dish and the .950 necklace so let me know what you guys think and thanks for reading this long post!! ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692181.038135.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692193.936723.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692206.588059.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692226.526242.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692256.975685.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692272.877354.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692287.578119.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692300.477483.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692312.761412.jpg ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1427692324.046009.jpg

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Jeez... The 1885 GSA alone will get you at least $700. The generic morgans are another grand. I would say you did quite well here!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cha ching! The coin dish is a porringer I believe and holds what appears to be a Spanish 8 Reales that has either heavy environmental damage/corrosion or it's a bad cast fake. The stamp almost looks like it says Alpaca, worn as it is. I have a similar "Aztec" pendant with malachite stones.

attachment.php

OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I thought the same about the dish but I got a clear Sterling read from my 18 K acid test. And I assumed that the coin was fake and since it will be difficult to do a scratch test I'm not sure if there's any way to really tell if it's real or not.

any idea what the stone in beats of the necklace is? All the beads test positive for Sterling. Any idea of value? I plan to resell this in the next week on eBay so any tips would be great.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought the same about the dish but I got a clear Sterling read from my 18 K acid test. And I assumed that the coin was fake and since it will be difficult to do a scratch test I'm not sure if there's any way to really tell if it's real or not.

any idea what the stone in beats of the necklace is? All the beads test positive for Sterling. Any idea of value? I plan to resell this in the next week on eBay so any tips would be great.
I'm unsure on the beads. They almost look like old brown bennington marbles from the turn of the century, but not quite. All I can think of is maybe a brown jasper or agate? The pendant looks like tigers eye. As for value, the pendants usually sell for around $40-$50. I've never seen one with a matching bead necklace though.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cha ching! The coin dish is a porringer I believe and holds what appears to be a Spanish 8 Reales that has either heavy environmental damage/corrosion or it's a bad cast fake. The stamp almost looks like it says Alpaca, worn as it is. I have a similar "Aztec" pendant with malachite stones.

attachment.php

I'm curious about you finding the word "alpaca". I thought that word was like German Silver? When you find out anything about the term, it would be good to come back here and get it clarified for the rest of us.

You did great on your total buy!! Keep up the good work.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Estate lady hook up/referral- lots 'o silver

It does kind of look like Alapaca but I did a second test with 18 K acid and got a strong cloudy blue reading. Alpaca is basically the Mexican German silver. It looks like silver but has no silver content, would it generate positive result with 18 K acid? I am still unsure about the authenticity of the coin in the sterling/alpaca piece and it all seems a little fishy when you add everything together.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Interesting...it must be sterling. Just an unfortunate makers mark that looks like Alpaca haha.

I might take this one to a guy I know that like out of the ordinary pieces...

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting...it must be sterling. Just an unfortunate makers mark that looks like Alpaca haha.

I might take this one to a guy I know that like out of the ordinary pieces...
I've read that there have been pieces found that are marked Alpaca and are actually sterling. This is especially true on alpaca marked jewelry findings (clasps, earring backs, pin closures), where only the findings are alpaca and the piece itself is sterling quality or higher. That being said I have yet to find a piece. I have about a half dozen alpaca marked pieces and none of them test positive for silver.

OP
OP
Punatic

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I get a clear cloudy white/light blue 18k reading...we must be reading it wrong.

Got an offer for $85 for the necklace after listing it 150 OBO

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread