Need Help With Marbles

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I picked up a gallon ziplock bag early last year that was about 1/3 full of marbles. They were at the estate of a 97 year old guy that had a lot of toys from his kids so I'm reasonably sure these came from the 60's or 70's. I don't know a thing about marbles & am looking for somewhere to start. These pics are of a random sample of what I have. I need to at least know what to call them before I try to sell. The really big marble that looks like someone used it for a hammer came from a box lot at another sale. I suspect it might have been worth a good bit if it wasn't so damaged. Is it worth trying to sell?
2149.JPG 2150.JPG 2151.JPG 2152.JPG 2153.JPG

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there still a marble forum on here? Those people would be able to help for sure.

EagleRidge

May 13, 2009
It looks like you are correct on your dating. Mostly 1960s/1970s. Nothing "outstanding" jumps out at me. The blue w/yellow shooter is a nice one. The giant one is from the 1890's, but, is really beat up. Drop it in a glass of water to see past the beat up exterior (shoot a picture of it). If it is just white or yellow filaments inside, it's common. Someone may want it to polish, if there are no major subsurface cracks. As a lot together they might go in the $10-$20 range as is.

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found a pile of marbles in a dump that I'm sure was from the 40's or earlier it even had clay marbles in it. I came to the conclusion that modern marbles and old marbles are pretty much the same to my eyes.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread