OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I have info on the Chinese inscription (the photo is upside down) it reads from right to left but I will type it from left to right. It is also in traditional form.

乾隆年製 qianlong nianzhi. 年製 nianzhi means year or time of manufacturing. 乾隆 qianlong is the name of the 6th emperor of the qing dynasty.

So it means manufactured during the qing dynasty reign of emperor qianlong.

Here is the wiki info link on qianlong.

He was emperor from 25 September 1711 – 7 February 1799.

The item may be real or could be a reproduction. That part you will need to find a person who is versed in Chinese art to determine that.

Considering the rolex was a reproduction The Chinese item may be a reproduction as well. Hope this helps.

Thanks so much for the translation. I'm inclined to think it is a reproduction. There was a ton of stuff in this house but almost all of it was obviously low quality merchandise. I haven't shown it in the pictures but I'm not sure what to make of the stopper. My understanding is most of the snuff bottles had a little spoon attached to the stopper. This one does not. One the other hand, reading up on Chinese snuff bottles taught me that snuff bottles were made based on the design of medicine bottles. So, perhaps this was a medicine bottle?

Uncle Jeff

May 28, 2013
Tampa, Florida
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer AT -
TEKNETICS EUROTEK PRO -
Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACK! do not listen to these arm chair wanna be Rolex experts here.. you have not provided enough information or photos for a good judgement, take it to a jeweler! They will charge you nothing to open the back and look for you!

gino22

Nov 22, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ACK! do not listen to these arm chair wanna be Rolex experts here.. you have not provided enough information or photos for a good judgement, take it to a jeweler! They will charge you nothing to open the back and look for you!

Agreed. And it's a good sign your "fake" is so controversial. Have someone pop the back and remove all doubt.

Worst case scenario, it's a portable ego boost with the right strap. Anyone who calls you out on it has too much time on their hands. Pun intended.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Jeff,

Instead of insulting someone you know absolutely nothing about, maybe you might ask a question or two. Making statements about people like you have only shows your ignorance. And (as opposed to treasure hunting), an armchair Rolex Expert has access to all the information needed to spot a fake. You might want to try a little reading. What do you expect from a Dallas Cowboys Fan? HAHAHA

Besides a good friend that owns three jewelry stores in Laguna Hills, Ca. Another good friend has been a Rolex Broker for almost thirty years in Newport Beach, CA. I have owned Submariners and now a Sea Dweller. So, hillbilly, sit back and relax.

Tallone,

The greatest majority of modern Rolexes in the world have serial numbers between the lugs. EVERY modern Rolex (with the exception of some Submariners) has the model/reference number stamped between the lugs at the 12 o'clock position.

If it was made after 2005, the serial number is can be read inside the case through the crystal:

rollie.JPG datejust_sn_dial_close.jpg

Does yours have a serial number in this spot? Doesn't look like it.

So, if there is no serial# at the six o'clock position or inside the case. Has no reference# between the lugs @ the twelve o'clock position. Not authentic.

There are literally dozens of websites that support exactly what I am telling you......... or go ahead and take it into a dealer and ask them.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Interesting. I did not know about the serial number. Thanks

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Only a certified Rolex dealer can open them. I found that out the hard way. No one in town would touch the Rolex. I had a faux Rolex band as well. One jeweler told me it was real. Swore up and down. I scrapped it, because I was 100% convinced it was a fake. The gold was real. I'm betting the Rolex is not real. Just from the experiences I've had with real and fake.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Only a certified Rolex dealer can open them. I found that out the hard way. No one in town would touch the Rolex. I had a faux Rolex band as well. One jeweler told me it was real. Swore up and down. I scrapped it, because I was 100% convinced it was a fake. The gold was real. I'm betting the Rolex is not real. Just from the experiences I've had with real and fake.

I have yet to see a fake "real gold" Rolex... these exist ?

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
ARRC,

YES. Real Gold fake Rolexes are out there. They are made in Italy. See, in the US, you can't buy Rolex Parts (only authorized repair facilities). Overseas is a different question. They buy Rolex Movement, Face, hands, and crystal. They use aftermarket band and case (real gold). The cases don't weigh as much much as a real one, but when it is put together, you can't really tell. My friend the Rolex Broker bought a solid 18K President for $5000. He took it to three pawn shops and another Rolex Dealer, and was offered between $9000 and $12,000 (this was about ten years ago). After they made the offers, he told them it was a fake, and showed them what to look for.

MUGSISME,

Anybody can open up a Rolex. You can buy one on Ebay for about $9 (cheapest):

ROLEX WATCH TOOL

If you had one of the Real Gold Fake Rollies, you screwed up by scrapping it. Since they use authentic Rolex movement, face, hands, and crystals, the parts alone were worth many times scrap value.

Mike

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
ARRC,

YES. Real Gold fake Rolexes are out there. They are made in Italy. See, in the US, you can't buy Rolex Parts (only authorized repair facilities). Overseas is a different question. They buy Rolex Movement, Face, hands, and crystal. They use aftermarket band and case (real gold). The cases don't weigh as much much as a real one, but when it is put together, you can't really tell. My friend the Rolex Broker bought a solid 18K President for $5000. He took it to three pawn shops and another Rolex Dealer, and was offered between $9000 and $12,000 (this was about ten years ago). After they made the offers, he told them it was a fake, and showed them what to look for.

MUGSISME,

Anybody can open up a Rolex. You can buy one on Ebay for about $9 (cheapest):

ROLEX WATCH TOOL

If you had one of the Real Gold Fake Rollies, you screwed up by scrapping it. Since they use authentic Rolex movement, face, hands, and crystals, the parts alone were worth many times scrap value.

Mike

Ah, I should have clarified. I had a 1963 Rolex (real) that no one wanted to open because it needed a special part. I brought it into the authorized dealer, and they couldn't open it. The guy I sold it mailed it to a special service center to have it fixed, and apparently, it has to be shipped to Hong Kong to get the engraving buffered out of it.

The fake I had was a band. The jeweler xrayed it to confirm it was gold. It was sold gold. Just gold links. The fakes sell on Ebay for about 400. If you look at the auctions, most of them have numbers on the bands. There are a few of them that don't. Which is how I knew mine was a fake.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread