Help on: Chinese snuff bottle, Rolex, Native American pottery

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I went to a family run estate sale Friday morning. The owner of the house obviously loved to collect smalls as the house was full of hundreds of items. Most of it didn't look particularly valuable to me but I picked up the four items below:

DSC06144.JPG

The extent of my knowledge about these things is that if they are genuine they might be quite valuable and, therefore, there are lots of fakes produced. I don't know enough to distinguish the genuine article from a fake. I might have passed on them but the price was low enough ($20 for the group) to take a chance.

DSC06149.JPG DSC06145.JPG DSC06152.JPG
This snuff bottle looks old and I liked the fact that the inscription on the bottom was not in English. I know there is a member here who has done Chinese translations. I'm hoping he will stop by and be able to tell me what that inscription says.

DSC06143.JPG DSC06139.JPG
I picked this watch out of a group of other watches because it seemed unusually heavy for a small watch. That suggested high quality to me but I have no idea how to determine if it is a real Rolex or a fake. It runs, by the way.

DSC06151.JPG DSC06153.JPG
This piece of pottery looks very old to me but I have no idea how to tell just how old it might be. The slip of paper inside says it was acquired in Colorado in 1931. That is the main reason I bought it as I figured there might not have been many fakes produced back in those days. The white stripe appears to be adhesive residue from a piece of duct tape which somebody apparently stuck on it a long time ago (idiots!).

DSC06150.JPG DSC06154.JPG
This is a piece of blackware pottery. It obviously isn't all that old as the inscription on the bottom dates it to 1991. I only bought because I know some of this type of pottery can be quite valuable and this piece had the maker's name on the bottom. I haven't been able to find anything about the maker.

I would be most appreciative if anybody can provide any additional info on these items.

Last edited:

vpnavy

Super Moderator
Staff member
Jun 15, 2008
York County, PA (USA)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
metal_detector.gif
Just found one going for $5,800.00! Take that rolex "oyster perpetual yacht master" to your closest jeweler and let us know!!!!!

frankendime

Mar 8, 2012
Middle Tn
Primary Interest:
Other
Yes. Get the Rolex looked at. The fake Rolex I found and took to a guy to check knew immediately by the weight. He knew as soon as it hit his hand. A real one would be much heavier he said. Good luck!

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It looks like a profitable day for you.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have seen the pottery vase before. Look under South West Native American Wedding vase - pottery.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, it's a wedding vase. I've got a couple, but mine are modern pieces. That one could be very old. There probably wasn't much risk in picking over ancient sites back in the 30's. Looting one now would land you in the federal hoosegow.

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rolex looks like a real one or a very good copy. Keep us informed.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Much like LV purses, Rolex fakes come in many different levels of quality. The weight is easy to fake. Ignore all the nonsense about sweeping hands verses stutter ticking hands. All of them stutter tick, but a Rolex appears to have a smooth sweep. Watch a real one with a loop. Pretty amazing really. Yep, have it checked.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The actual Rolex movement is 28,800 beats per hour which equates to 8 ticks per second. THAT is why it looks like a smooth sweep.

Please post a picture of the case in between the lugs. There should be a number there.

Mike

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your "Snuff" bottle may actually be an opium bottle...

And appears to be a real one... good score...

Colorado piece is a "wedding vase". EDITED - from original guess--- which was water jug.. heh :P

Blackware pieces are weird... old Maria pieces are worth astronomical prices...
"other artists" can also bring $... BUT since she became so famous it has been mass produced... must do research on artist.

Last edited:

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
The black piece is called Oaxaca pottery for the region in Mexico where it is made.

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. The Rolex is a fake. A model number should be on one side between the lugs and serial number on the other side between the lugs.

16800a.jpg rlx551293.JPG

Mike

Yang Hao

Feb 23, 2015
Haerbin
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have info on the Chinese inscription (the photo is upside down) it reads from right to left but I will type it from left to right. It is also in traditional form.

乾隆年製 qianlong nianzhi. 年製 nianzhi means year or time of manufacturing. 乾隆 qianlong is the name of the 6th emperor of the qing dynasty.

So it means manufactured during the qing dynasty reign of emperor qianlong.

Here is the wiki info link on qianlong.

He was emperor from 25 September 1711 – 7 February 1799.

The item may be real or could be a reproduction. That part you will need to find a person who is versed in Chinese art to determine that.

Considering the rolex was a reproduction The Chinese item may be a reproduction as well. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

coinbug

Jul 22, 2013
Detector(s) used
Fisher Goldbug
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yep. The Rolex is a fake. A model number should be on one side between the lugs and serial number on the other side between the lugs.

View attachment 1146947 View attachment 1146949

Mike

Rolex no longer puts serial numbers on the case but on the rehaut (the inner rim between the dial and the crystal).

I can't tell from the photo whether it's real or not. I don't see anything obviously wrong, but I don't own a Yacht-Master so I'm not that familiar with them.

The magnification on the cyclops eye is a quick indicator. The fakes are 1.5 and Rolex are at least 2.5. The photo doesn't show the cyclops eye clearly enough for me to tell.

If the watch is running, listen to it. Rolexes run very quietly and smoothly. By comparison, the movements in fakes sound like a brass band.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another good way tell is if there is a battery in it. Or if you open it and see made in China. Just saying...Probably easiest way to tell is to just open it.

blindbug

Oct 16, 2012
Louisville, KY
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Rolex looks like a fake. The dial doesn't have the right texture for a Yacht Master (should be sorta 'grainy' instead of a radiant finish), it's missing serial numbers (looks to be of an age that would have them), the finish looks a little sloppy (especially the print on the dial, which would typically fade a little over time, but should be very tight and accurate).

That being said, my wife tells me that I'm wrong all the time... so it would be worth taking to a jeweler to check.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions