Help with old clock

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick this up this weekend for a dollar because it looked old. It's in rough shape but it does work. The name is Lady Betty. Everything I look up gives me information of Betty Boop. I'm pretty sure it's not a Betty Boop clock. It may also be a junk clock but I thought I would ask first before I just tossed it aside. Thanks!

image-1823898389.jpg

image-3286195599.jpg

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I can't find a picture, but did see a reference to Lux Mfg Co.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree that it's a Lux alarm clock. Check out completed listings to see if you can find one like yours. They sell mostly between $10-$50. You can also look at luxclocks.net for more examples.

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Why even consider tossing it aside? You've already bought it. List it. Doesn't cost anything. List it in auction.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Why even consider tossing it aside? You've already bought it. List it. Doesn't cost anything. List it in auction.

Guess I should've specified tossing aside to the pile that ends up not getting listed for a long long time because it's not worth bothering with at the moment... Half of the room is full of them.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other

Well... yes it does cost something. It costs time. That is time that could, presumably, be put to more productive use listing items that are more likely to bring a better return on investment. I'm sure you're familiar with the old expression "Time is Money".

Last edited:

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rough shape but still working can actually be a great thing, On etsy it becomes "distressed" and I can sell it for more then a boring old normal one!

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Besides hats, do you sell a lot on there?

Right now I just do hats and other vintage clothing, but as soon as I finish school I'm planning on opening a second store for Americana/decor items, which is how I would market that clock. I've talked to people with similar stores and it seems like things move a little slower than on ebay, but there is way less competition so prices can be higher and there are way less crazies to deal with. It's all about presentation on etsy though, the better the photo the higher you can price your item. You've got to make the buyers realize they want what they never knew they wanted.

In terms of "distressed" its one of my favorite words in the business. If I find a hat that is from say a random car dealership, if it's brand new then I'll maybe get $3-5 out of it, aka not worth it, but if it's really faded and beat up without being completely broken or smelly then that same hat will sell for $20. People want the worn in look, but most of them aren't willing to wear a hat every day for 5 years to get it that way, so they'll just pay for one. Same goes for old levi's, t-shirts, denim jackets, leather jackets, really just about everything that is more fashion then function at this point.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that is weird, I have no idea why those would be so expensive. In my experience shoes are an exception to the distressed rule, no one wants trashed shoes. The only exception is claasic boot companies like red wing, danner, etc where it takes so long to break them in that some people like to buy them used.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
now that is weird, I have no idea why those would be so expensive. In my experience shoes are an exception to the distressed rule, no one wants trashed shoes. The only exception is claasic boot companies like red wing, danner, etc where it takes so long to break them in that some people like to buy them used.

Hmm, I have a pair of old Red Wings in my garage from electrical work. Wore them for five years wonder if I can get some money out of them?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
now that is weird, I have no idea why those would be so expensive. In my experience shoes are an exception to the distressed rule, no one wants trashed shoes. The only exception is classic boot companies like red wing, danner, etc where it takes so long to break them in that some people like to buy them used.

I think that the reason the Ballet shoes sold for so much was due to the style, the colors and the size! The majority of women that are into Ballet or wear those types of shoes have smallish feet and most don't wear sizes much above a size 7. However, there are women that have bigger feet, that also love these types of shoes but find them hard to get and will pay dearly for a size they can wear and in a style and color scheme they really like!

Frank

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
Hmm, I have a pair of old Red Wings in my garage from electrical work. Wore them for five years wonder if I can get some money out of them?

LOL, I have been wanting a new pair of boots for some time but due to the size I wear, I just can't justify the cost. Maybe I should sell my' size 15EEE Rocky Hunting Boots which are 10 to 12 years old to fund the purchase of the new one's! The big problem is that I need to go to size 16EEEE and it is hard to find decent Hunting Boots in that size.

Frank

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
Love this thread! Gives me ideas on all this junk I have surrounding me here. 15 years ago I built shelves up here, 8'-3" L, 4 shelves 12" deep, 12" high. And I've stuff covering three layers deep on the whole darned space. But that doesn't account for all the boxes full of who knows what I have in my space, and the eaves packed. Even have a C-64 + toys...

I've looked around Etsy only a little bit. Didn't seem to be the kind of place that would take my junk.

Pondering things now....

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions