Spent $500. Going home happy

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
On two pieces of jewelry. And going back to the ladies house today to look at the rest. But one was an Art Deco filigree 14 K emerald diamond bracelet.

image-2512514926.jpg

The other one is a 14 K diamond half carat ring

image-4262738347.jpg

Some other scrap as well gold and a couple random pieces of silver one Silpada necklace. Looking to sell the ring probably will keep the bracelet for now. Now it is time to give my stinky kids a bath!

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Beachkid - can you find any makers mark on that bracelet (hopefully along the lines of LCT or someone)?

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
On two pieces of jewelry. And going back to the ladies house today to look at the rest. But one was an Art Deco filigree 14 K emerald diamond bracelet.

View attachment 1148500

The other one is a 14 K diamond half carat ring

View attachment 1148501

Some other scrap as well gold and a couple random pieces of silver one Silpada necklace. Looking to sell the ring probably will keep the bracelet for now. Now it is time to give my stinky kids a bath!

Absolutely marvelous scores!

Frank

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Ostby Barton is OB

I hate my tunnel vision though. I'm just realizing now that two of the links are missing the side.

image-1517863974.jpg

image-1994598267.jpg

Last edited:

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid, with the amount of buying and consignment you do, you should really think about opening up a small pawn store. If you can find a little shop where the rent is cheap, you could probably make enough to live pretty well.

Have you ever gone through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace? Might help you to save enough to get started. If you are interested, let me know. I might be able to get you a set of the home edition.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Beachkid, with the amount of buying and consignment you do, you should really think about opening up a small pawn store. If you can find a little shop where the rent is cheap, you could probably make enough to live pretty well. Have you ever gone through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace? Might help you to save enough to get started. If you are interested, let me know. I might be able to get you a set of the home edition.

My neighbor has been wanting to do a pawnshop with me for a while. Which would probably work well because he's a fireman so he has 24 on in 48 hours off. So should be able to be there a lot. Plus he knows that I know a lot also and they have a nice amount of money put away where I don't because I have a bunch of kids. So we have been talking about this.

I have not taken the course. I probably should because I suck at saving the money after the sale I always find something else to buy right away so it never really get saved it just turns in the something else but in a different form. So I'm sure anything would help!!

Also that other listing the guy who made it did an awesome job. Including the whole history and how the maker died in the titanic which really makes it a much more amazing piece to have. I may be referring back to that when I'm putting this one up. Thank you very much for adding the listing and I would be interested in the course if you have extra one.

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Have you ever gone through Dave Ramsey's Financial Peace?

Sorry for this post being slightly off topic but... I haven't taken Ramsey's Financial Peace class but I hear his radio program almost every day on the way home from work so I'm pretty familiar with his message and process. I agree wholeheartedly with Ramsey's philosophy. His basic message is "Debt is bad" therefore you should do everything you can to eliminate debt from your life. Ramsey has a process for achieving this. I'm going to over-simplify for the sake of brevity but his basic process for debt elimination is:

1. Reduce expenses as much as possible. (Ramsey likes to call this going on a diet of " rice & beans and beans & rice".
2. List your debts (credit card balances, auto loans, etc.) from smallest to largest.
3. Throw every dollar you can at the smallest debt until it is paid off and then attack the next largest debt. Repeat until they are all paid off.

Ramsey also has good advice regarding budgeting, saving for emergencies, and other aspects of good personal financial management so it would be worthwhile to look into his approach in more detail. I have been on both sides of the debt equation (deeply in debt and now almost completely out of debt - just a mortgage which is almost paid off) and I can attest that the latter condition is far superior to the former. Debt adds a lot of stress to life and who needs more stress?

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm going through the course right now. My brother has been teaching and doing it for a couple of years. I've been able to witness it work in his life and watched him pay be able to pay off his debt and build a successful business. I have only recently gave in and decided that I needed financial peace in my life. The whole premise is making your money work for you. Knowing where your money is going and having security. If you had to pay $1000 today for an emergency, could you afford it without it affecting other areas of your life. It's also about building wealth through wise investments.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry to keep derailment going but Dave Ramsey knows what he's talking about. I just started listening to him after we (so. cal) got a new AM talk radio station with Dave in the 3pm slot. I have yet to buy anything of his but he dispenses enough advise for free that you can grasp the principles and do it on your own.

I've almost got my small debts paid and will put all of that ear-marked cash into retirement savings.

Beachkid,
I'm sure you have plenty on your plate with the kids but maybe you need to keep a small notepad with you and keep track of your spending?

If you take 500.00 bucks out for the weekend sales and spend 300.00' that leaves you with 200.00. Sold the jewelry and made 500.00? Now you have 700.00. Take out that 200.00 and keep it put away. You retain the original balance of 500.00 and saved 200.00. I've always done this along with Sunday wallet dumps into many "cash stashes" around my homes. If you can control yourself from raiding your stashes, you will surprised at how much cash it amounts to in a few months.

If you are interested, I can send you a "cash bank" that isn't easily opened and keeps you from smashing the proverbial piggy bank often.

My cousin and I started doing this 15 years ago and will usually wait a year or 2 before opening them. It's like Christmas on those days

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What I've been doing is writing down everything I paid for the item so for instants this probably isn't a good example but I bought a silver jewelry box for five dollars and I just sold it today for $400. And I keep track of everything I pay for everything and then at the end of the month I've been just withdrawing from my PayPal account the total I spent on the items. And then that gives me a budget to work on because I can only take out what I spend so all of the rest of what I make stays in PayPal for now. My goal is not to withdraw anything until I have 10K in the PayPal account. As of now it's at like $4500. And I just withdrew $590 on the 15th. But I'll have to take an additional $200 next 15th to pay for my health insurance. It has been working so far so I guess were not going to ruin a good thing right yet.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One point I'll make about your setup is that your money is just sitting in PayPal and is not working for you. If you put that same money in a money market account or some other places, you would be making even more money on top of the money your making from ebay, increasing your gross profits. Same with putting your money in a piggy bank.

bill from lachine

Gold Member
Oct 30, 2011
Quebec
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Beachkid,

Good score on the gold finds....if you do a youtube search under Dave Ramsey there are loads of videos by him so you can probably get most of his ideas for free.

And yes it makes sense to pay yourself first and wipe out debt I've been debt free for 20 years or more and it's great not to scramble at the end of the month to find money to pay debts.

Regards + HH

Bill

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
One point I'll make about your setup is that your money is just sitting in PayPal and is not working for you. If you put that same money in a money market account or some other places, you would be making even more money on top of the money your making from ebay, increasing your gross profits. Same with putting your money in a piggy bank.

"Piggy banks" don't grow money but they are immune from power outs, atm fraud, identity theft, market swings and a host of other maladies that can wipe you out. My suggestion was purely one of a true forced savings that Beachkid wouldn't be able to touch (easily..unless he has power tools) once the money was deposited. Once you hit a few milestones and see how much has been saved, the idea of saving money becomes fun which, to many, sounds impossible.

I do sales all weekend and only after I've taken care of other financial priorities do I put 20.00-40.00 bucks in my piggy bank. It can be more but generally 10% of what's in my wallet goes in. That way I have money for next weekend.

I'm not one to advocate stuffing money under the mattress as a sound savings/retirement plan but putting every single available dollar into stocks/mutual funds isn't smart either. cash on hand never hurts. I can remember once having my atm card pin stolen so I called to cancel. Then I realized it was a 3 day weekend and I had no cash or any way to access it. That's why I keep cash on hand.

Thanks for making me clarify my earlier post. We all have our financial methods, I was just sharing one with everybdy that works for me.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just watched the Dave Ramsey seven steps. Or seven baby steps. Most interesting thing I've done all day since I've been sick for the last 24 hours. I guess the one that I question is the seventh one where it says to invest and build wealth but also give. Our church says to give 10% of your income every time you get paid but he says not to give until you have yourself taken care of first.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Definitely didn't mean it as an insult, piggy banks are fine for some of your money. But $4500 could be put to better use by putting part of it in a money-making account with a fixed interest rate.

As for giving back, the point is to pay yourself first like someone else mentioned and get yourself financially set, then you will be able to give without it hurting your financial peace or goals. I'm sorry we have gotten so off topic but I'm glad we are having this conversation. If it helps one person to get themselves financially in order, than I guess we were meant to have it.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I've heard Mr. Ramsey say on the radio, giving money to chairty is a bonus of wise financial planning, if you are so inclined but only if your situation is squared away. Otherwise, he wouldn't recommend it. The whole idea of being debt free and investing is to have financial security for now and then. You don't have to be wealthy to be benevolent, Beachkid. Your intentions will cover the rest, no matter the sum.

I give a few hundred to a few charities each year knowing that it's not going to make a giant impact but it's going to do more good then if I didn't at all.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Have you decided if you are going to have that bracelet repaired? I was looking at that bracelet earlier and thought how similar it looked to the ladies watch bands of the late 20-30s. I wonder if you could find a broken band nad just use the side panels as a repair?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread