So, old shavers worth some $?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pick this up over the weekend and old Gillette razor. It was that estate sale family run. I watched the guy before me by a bunch of silver for $10. I was hoping to find something in the house worthwhile but there was not much decent to choose from and what was there was pretty highly priced. But luckily my daughter had to use the bathroom so we went in and she went potty. in sitting on the counter was his old razor with a price tag of four dollars on it. I was thinking maybe I'll sell for $10... some of them sell for $70 and higher. So I'm as high as 300 bucks!

I have attached a link to the one I'm selling 34 watchers on it so far...

But heres something new to add to your bucket list of stuff you see laying around peoples houses. I just picked it up because it looked old no idea what it sells for at this point don't really care I got my four dollars back but definitely something to keep an eye out for. You can go search the makeup section in the estate sale bathrooms from now on!!

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=371307835960

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember shaving with those, because that was the only kind of modern razor they offered. I began with using my Dad's Gillette just like this one, but it wasn't gold plated. They were precision instruments and I don't remember ever needing to buy a new one. You sure didn't want to shave as fast with those, as you can today with these triple blade shavers. You took care and a little time to give yourself a clean shave. It all seemed to end overnight when the plastic disposable razors and the BIC lighter all came along saying so long Zippo. I wonder??? ... Do we really save money, living in a world of cheap, use it once or when it's empty, throw -a- way product world. :dontknow:

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I remember shaving with those, because that was the only kind of modern razor they offered. I began with using my Dad's Gillette just like this one, but it wasn't gold plated. They were precision instruments and I don't remember ever needing to buy a new one. You sure didn't want to shave as fast with those, as you can today with these triple blade shavers. You took care and a little time to give yourself a clean shave. It all seemed to end overnight when the plastic disposable razors and the BIC lighter all came along saying so long Zippo. I wonder??? ... Do we really save money, living in a world of cheap, use it once or when it's empty, throw -a- way product world. :dontknow:

Kinda like the rainbow vacuum! My parents bought their's from the door-to-door salesman when I was born her before and she still uses it every single week. We have been through probably 15 vacuum cleaners since I've been married and dating which is been about 12 years with my wife. We started off buying them at Walmart brand-new and have been getting them at thrift stores I just bought a Dyson on Black Friday though. It was $250 off sticker..

There's no way anybody saving money on the buy it and throw it away deal. I have to wonder about our house. My parents bought it brand-new in 2008 freshened up. The refrigerator has a problem with the ice maker, the microwave does not turn anymore, the stove hot item light does not go off. And now are getting somebody over here to fix the stucco on the outside because it's starting to bubble because water in behind of it somehow so we have to have the wall pulled away and redone. And all of that that was under warranty does not matter because the companies out of business now the homebuilder.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Razors can be a score....if you get the right razor. I collect them but not at a super serious level meaning I buy them when I find them on weekends. I don't spend tons of cash on eBay trying to get rare ones like they were coins or something similar.

You seem to know what you have and listed it perfectly. Black beauty razors came in 2 lengths but yours is the first one I've seen in gold. Mine is the long handle in chrome/nickel finish and it was 5.00 at a sale which included a 14k Schaffer fountain pen. Odd tends to do better and remember, Gillette made these by the millions starting back in the late 1920s so there are quite a few floating around

Have you ever tried shaving with one? You might end up keeping the next one for yourself. The next time you find a dirty, crusty old Gillette, PM me before you do anything if you can remember. I can look it over for you and mak it look new again

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a few of mine that are not in the display case. One is my black beauty while the others are duplicates or even triplicates of other razors I have.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    534.7 KB · Views: 117
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    521.5 KB · Views: 118

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kinda like the rainbow vacuum! My parents bought their's from the door-to-door salesman when I was born her before and she still uses it every single week. We have been through probably 15 vacuum cleaners since I've been married and dating which is been about 12 years with my wife. We started off buying them at Walmart brand-new and have been getting them at thrift stores I just bought a Dyson on Black Friday though. It was $250 off sticker..

There's no way anybody saving money on the buy it and throw it away deal. I have to wonder about our house. My parents bought it brand-new in 2008 freshened up. The refrigerator has a problem with the ice maker, the microwave does not turn anymore, the stove hot item light does not go off. And now are getting somebody over here to fix the stucco on the outside because it's starting to bubble because water in behind of it somehow so we have to have the wall pulled away and redone. And all of that that was under warranty does not matter because the companies out of business now the homebuilder.
You know I'm thinking I may return back to using these old tech shavers. I can buy 100 double edge blades for 25 bucks. Just need to reteach myself to be more careful when shaving. 100pcs Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus Double Edge Safety Razor Blades 100pcs | eBay

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been doing exceptionally well with Gillette safety razors recently. Lots of people are using them. They appeal to the frugal, waste conscious, nostalgic types. (I use a Gillette safety razor and agree they offer a better shave. You just need to use a shorter stroke). The Gillette fatboy was also recently featured on Pawn Stars.

I was at an estate sale an the seller was unwilling to budge on the price of a $150 silver jewelry box. I did talk her into giving me a crusty Gillette fatboy for free. I sold it for $120. I've sold broken ones for $40+.

Here are some useful links:
Razor Archive | Gillette Date Codes
Reburbish

@bigcaddy64....curious to hear how you refurbish yours.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a large helping of time and patience to make them look new. My work week allows me to take Friday's off after 11 hour days and I use that time to unwind. Old razors, if I have some handy, help me express my inner tinkerer and get rid of work stress.

Do you have any crusty old razors sitting around? I'm all for giving them a make over if it can be done with a noticeable result. I can't do any plating right now but I'm looking for another machine so I can. Send me a message if you have one that needs a polishing

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I boil some water, let them sit in it, then knock them gently against the sides of the cup. All sorts of old soap scum will come floating up. Scrub with an old toothbrush. Repeat. I might use a little brasso on the top or not, if it needs it for the shine. I have six or seven I need to sell but I just moved so ebay is taking a back seat.

DeepseekerADS

Gold Member
Mar 3, 2013
SW, VA - Bull Mountain
Detector(s) used
CTX, Excal II, EQ800, Fisher 1260X, Tesoro Royal Sabre, Tejon, Garrett ADSIII, Carrot, Stealth 920iX, Keene A52
Primary Interest:
Other
I still shave with one of those :)

But then, I don't shave as often as I used to since I retired :)

silverdollarbill

Aug 27, 2012
Dirty Jerz
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agreed about the straight razors and any shaving accessories in general.

I bought a pretty large collection a while back. It took a while to list all the items but after I sold a few, some of the buyers came back and bought multiple items.

However, the safety razors , especially the fatboy, sell the best.

scaupus

Apr 20, 2011
Not too far from a beach
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use a large helping of time and patience to make them look new. My work week allows me to take Friday's off after 11 hour days and I use that time to unwind. Old razors, if I have some handy, help me express my inner tinkerer and get rid of work stress.

Do you have any crusty old razors sitting around? I'm all for giving them a make over if it can be done with a noticeable result. I can't do any plating right now but I'm looking for another machine so I can. Send me a message if you have one that needs a polishing

very cool. I 've got one I have to dig out from the junk-find boxes.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Razors can be a score....if you get the right razor. I collect them but not at a super serious level meaning I buy them when I find them on weekends. I don't spend tons of cash on eBay trying to get rare ones like they were coins or something similar.

You seem to know what you have and listed it perfectly. Black beauty razors came in 2 lengths but yours is the first one I've seen in gold. Mine is the long handle in chrome/nickel finish and it was 5.00 at a sale which included a 14k Schaffer fountain pen. Odd tends to do better and remember, Gillette made these by the millions starting back in the late 1920s so there are quite a few floating around

Have you ever tried shaving with one? You might end up keeping the next one for yourself. The next time you find a dirty, crusty old Gillette, PM me before you do anything if you can remember. I can look it over for you and mak it look new again
PM sent regarding refurbish. I have a couple of flare tip super speed safety razors that could use a little clean up. One dates to 1957 and the other dates to 1967. I also have one of those mini travel razors in the zip up case.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this one today and wanted to share. Going to clean it up a little bit before I sell it but the price was right for $3 dollars!

ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454816080.421060.jpg
ImageUploadedByTreasureNet.com1454816101.502389.jpg

Everester

Mar 8, 2014
Mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice. I have found that the original cases can double the value. Sometimes the cases are worth more then the razor itself.

S

stefen

Growing up I used my dads razor and when yur a teen with Zits, you'd think yur face was destroyed for life...

Never could use an electric razor because it caused a rash.

I do have a straight razor I've had for most my adult life snd find it's great for display only.

Although I got a hair cut yesterday and he used a straight razor to clean my neck...love the feel of the hot foam on my neck...brings back memories of sitting on a board as a kid...

Still use a shaving brush n mug to apply the shaving foam...old habits from the old country

Plumbata

Bronze Member
May 13, 2012
Wyoming
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old Gillette razors are often overlooked, valuable, and relatively common at sales so they are great to sniff around for. Recently got a bag of 4 Gillettes including a Fat Boy for 5 bucks. My dad bought a big wholesale size box of older NOS safety razor blade packs years ago, probably 5000 or more blades, which is more than a few lifetimes worth of basically free shaving. Hard to beat that.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread