Saturday 4:00 pm...never give up hope

DGfinder

May 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I was busy in the morning then around 4 I was going to head to an estate sale and used my yard sale map app and it led me to an abandond building and realized quickly that it was the wrong address. I decided to cut my losses and head towards a goodwill taking a backboard when I saw a sign for a yard sale from 11-5 so I decided to stop. I ended up finding a broken pair of sterling cufflinks and this Dunhill lighter for a grand total of...$1 each. If anyone knows of where I could get it repaired or even if it is authentic that would be great as I have no idea on how to fix it or if it needs much fixing at all. Thanks for looking and keep hope no matter time of day you never know when or where you'll find something!

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20150423_201903.png
    ForumRunner_20150423_201903.png
    167.9 KB · Views: 124
  • ForumRunner_20150423_201919.png
    ForumRunner_20150423_201919.png
    132.6 KB · Views: 155

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice. I've only found one of those Dunhill Rollers so far for cheap. I gave 5 bucks for it and got $68. Some guy in Thailand or some place like that bought it. I saw he would restore them and turn around and sell them on ebay for more. The one I had wasn't in as good condition as yours. Found a Dunhill tobacco pipe for 3 bucks and got $170. out of that. Dunhill, A name to look for.

Last edited:

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last Saturday I was busy in the morning then around 4 I was going to head to an estate sale and used my yard sale map app and it led me to an abandond building and realized quickly that it was the wrong address. I decided to cut my losses and head towards a goodwill taking a backboard when I saw a sign for a yard sale from 11-5 so I decided to stop. I ended up finding a broken pair of sterling cufflinks and this Dunhill lighter for a grand total of...$1 each. If anyone knows of where I could get it repaired or even if it is authentic that would be great as I have no idea on how to fix it or if it needs much fixing at all. Thanks for looking and keep hope no matter time of day you never know when or where you'll find something!

Do you smoke? If not, you might want to start because those lighters are a double edged sword. A dollar is an excellent find but the repairs will just kill you.

The place you seek is in Hendersonville, NC and its call ARS (Authorized Repair Services). Send them the lighter and they will send you a quote. A basic rebuild is right around 100.00 as long as no extra parts need to be replaced. That lighter has lots of small valves/o-rings that wear out, expecially when holding back butane.

I smoke cigars so my 10.00 Sterling Dunhill was worth every penny to have redone as a smoking accessory. I also happen to collect Dunhill so I kinda like them.

OP
OP
D

DGfinder

May 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nope I don't haha I'm sure I'll just sell it for parts just didn't know if there was something to look for that's commonly the problem with them. Thanks for the help guys!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find on the Dunhill. They still sell well, even broken. Unless it's a rare or solid gold model, I wouldn't spend the money for a rebuild. Last fall, I sold a Dunhill that wouldn't work, I started it at .99, listed as "broken, parts only" and it sold for close to $70(?) I want to say, I forget exactly. This is the perfect item to start at a .99 auction, imo.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread