A Good Weekend

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I hit a couple of yard sales Saturday morning and came away with the following:

DSC06214.JPG
I bought this collection of pins for $1.00. The 2003 National Championship pin (bottom left) should bring about $10 - 15. I will keep a few for a collection I’m working on. I don’t think the others are worth much. Some of them aren’t even pins.

DSC06220.JPG
I bought this Lux starburst clock for $5.00. The condition isn’t perfect but I plugged it in and the second hand moved smoothly so I assumed it worked fine. When I got it home, I discovered the wheel used to set the time is stuck! Memo to self: Do a better job inspecting things BEFORE you buy!

DSC06226.JPG
I bought this receiver/power amp combo because the brand is above average quality and I was assured it had been in use until very recently. This was an older couple that was moving and these were still inside the house so they hadn’t been sitting out in a garage for years. I paid $50 for the combo. I need to do more research but I’m hoping to get at least $300 for them.

Sidebar: As I was talking to the lady about these units, a man and woman came in to the house and I heard the woman say, “Crap! Somebody is looking at the stereo”. I figured I had better grab them before they did so I gave the seller $50 to seal the deal. I told her I wanted to leave them on the shelf while I looked around the rest of the house and she said OK. I bought the clock described above, came back to the electronics, picked them up and headed for the door.
The lady stopped me and said, “Are you going to take those, too?”
“Yes, I already paid for them.”
“No, you haven’t”.
“Yes, I did.”
Then the lady says, “Look, I have no money in my pockets!”
She was wearing an apron kind of thing with big pockets in front and she pulled everything out and put it on the table.
“See”, she says, “No money.”
I’m thinking, what is this? Some sort of scam? But then I see the corner of a bill poking out from under the stuff she pulled out of her pockets.
I point to that and say, “You have money right there. That will be the two $20 dollar bills and one $10 bill I gave you for the stereo equipment.”
She picks up the bills, fans them out, sees two twenties and a ten, turns bright red in the face, and proceeds to apologize all over the floor. She wasn’t trying to cheat me, she just forgot money had actually changed hands just a few minutes earlier. Short term memory loss sucks!​

Saturday evening, the wife and I drove to a country auction which turned out to be a total bust. After looking around at their stuff for almost an hour, we couldn’t find a single thing we were excited about so we left before the auction even started. Probably burned $30 worth of gas for nothing.

Sunday morning we went to another auction where I think we did a LOT better. Here is the haul from that auction:

DSC06223.JPG DSC06224.JPG DSC06225.JPG
I bought a large box with three cases of 35mm slides for $35. Some of these can be fairly valuable but much depends on subject matter and the type of film. Some film doesn’t hold its color well. Over time the image will turn into shades of red or blue. Other types of film (Kodachrome especially) has great color and holds that color for a long time. I bought these boxes because I saw LOTS of Kodachrome slides but also because I saw this:

DSC06221.JPG
Note the hand-written name on the top left corner of the box in the center of the pic. I haven’t looked carefully through these yet but I sure hope there are some interesting pics of Jackie Kennedy on Kodachrome slides.

DSC06231.JPG
My wife bought this Mickey Mouse sketch for $35. Unfortunately, I don’t think it is worth much more than that.

DSC06228.JPG
I have been looking for a rolling rack like this for a while and I will keep it. There were a bunch of them at this auction and most of them sold for $50 or more. This one was LOADED with junk and the auctioneer couldn’t sell any of the individual items off the rack so he put the whole rack with contents up for sale. I got it for $25. I guess other buyers didn’t want to deal with all the junk. I threw almost all of it out but I found the following in the pile of junk:

DSC06215.JPG
This is brand new, never been out of the box. I think I can get about $30 for it. If that works out, I got my rack for free!

DSC06216.JPG DSC06217.JPG DSC06235.JPG DSC06237.JPG
I paid $25 for a box with a few leather items in it. The prime piece is the Hartmann shoulder bag. I hope to get $50 - $75 for it once I clean it up. I think I can get $25 for the motorcycle vest. The kit bag is a brand I had never heard of before. I have now learned that their leather products sell for top dollar. This piece has a little damage but I needed a better kit bag for myself so I’ll probably keep it. The only one of these I found on eBay was all leather and sold for $100.

DSC06229.JPG
I bought this compressor for $50. I needed an upgrade to the tiny one I already have. I haven’t tested this one yet so I hope it works. It looks like it’s in good shape. This model sells new for about $250.

DSC06230.JPG
Last, but definitely NOT least is this poster. This was buried in a pile of crappy art work. I paid $5 for it. This is apparently the original marketing poster for Apple’s first PC, the MacIntosh, which debuted in 1984. It is referred to as the “Picasso logo” although apparently Matisse had more to do with this logo than Picasso. The Macintosh "Picasso" Artwork Was Inspired By Matisse | Cult of Mac

I could only find one of these posters on eBay. That one sold for $250. I found one other for sale on a site called missingbite.com. Those guys want $2,500 for it! The glass is dirty and broken in one corner but the poster appears to be in excellent condition. I think this may be my big score for the weekend.

Beans

Bronze Member
May 31, 2008
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like you found some stuff. Excellent brand on the stereo. I went to an estate sale this weekend and picked up some negatives in an old envelope and a couple of pictures. I needed to buy something since I made the trip. Spent 1.00 put on ebay for .99 and got 2 bids right away. Hope you have some great pictures.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I hope there are some good photos in there. I was studying sales of Kodachrome slides on eBay last night. I learned a couple of things but I am mystified by some of what I found. Here is what I have learned:

- The red border on the cardboard slide frame appears to be related to the age of the photo. Kodachrome film apparently requires special processing so, when you bought the film, you also paid for processing. You sent your roll of film to Kodak, they would develop and mount the pictures and send them back to you. The red frames were used until the very early 1960s (I think) so most of these red frame Kodachromes date to the 1950s or earlier. I have several hundred red frame slides. Later, Kodak began embossing the month and year onto the slide frame and discontinued use of the red frame cardboard mount.

- Some individual slides sell very well (sometimes in the low hundreds). Old railroad and airplane pictures seem to be the most popular. However, there are some that have sold at the high end of the range that are not of these subjects. For example, there is one slide of a Hong Kong street scene that sold for over $300! There are other examples of random pictures that sold for pretty big money but I can't figure why. Does anybody have any theories about this?

I'm trying to decide if it is worth my while to sort through these and list some individual pictures or if I would be better off listing them as a lot.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
@ Beans - Yes, I also noticed slides with military subject matter sold very well. Most of the military slides I saw on eBay were sold in lots as opposed to single slides. I don't think I have any military related pictures. The ones I have seem to be mostly travel related. Whoever took these pictures was certainly a world traveler. I have photos from Japan, Hong Kong, South America, India, and Greece as well as various locations in the U.S.

@ Baltimore - Wow. I didn't find that bag when I did my eBay research. Thanks for the link. For that kind of money, I just may have to sell it instead of keep it for myself. Unfortunately, there are a couple of small holes in the binding strip on one end. It looks like something chewed on it and made the holes.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well... I did look through that one little yellow box that had "Jackie Kennedy" written on the outside. No slides of her in there. However, there doesn't appear to be any rhyme or reason for the arrangement of these slides - especially in that low, wide case where the "Jackie" box was found. It is possible there are pictures of her in there somewhere. I just haven't had time to go through them all yet. If I find any, I'll post them.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, that looks like one of my old hauls with all that stuff. That poster is a great find! I need a bigger air compressor myself, I've been using one of those pancake compressors for too long now. I'd be tempted to keep the HK amp/pre amp combo. I think it would be a step up from my Luxman. As you already know, with the slides it's all about the subject matter. I hope you have something relating to Jackie Kennedy in there or maybe some old Disneyland slides or something.

I have decided I cannot buy anything else unless it will fit in my pocket or if it's something I personally collect. I have enough inventory to keep me busy listing for a solid year, not to mention the large items that I need to sell locally. I have collections of collections that need to go! I even have a collection of metal detecting and treasure books that I may list right here on the Tnet classifieds.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
I am continuing to research the old photo slides. Haven't found any Jackie Kennedy pictures yet. I finished going through that flat red box this morning. That box appeared to be the reject photos as several of the small yellow boxes had the word "Discards" written on them. I still need to go through the box with the Argus projector magazines so maybe they will show up in there.

I have learned a good bit about vintage Kodachrome slides. Kodak introduced Kodachrome in 35mm format in 1936 and stopped producing the film in 2009. The age of the photos can be estimated from the style of the cardboard mount. Here is a handy dating chart I found:

Kodachrome Mounts Dates.jpg

I have probably 100 or more of the 1941 - 49 style mounts and probably more than that of the 1950 - 55 style mounts. I also have 5 or 6 with a green border which may date back all the way to the late 1930s. The photos below compare these "green border" slides with the 1941 - 49 red border slides.

DSC06244.JPG
DSC06242.JPG
DSC06243.JPG

These cardboard mounts have evolved over time gradually becoming more elaborate. Note that there is a 5 year gap from the introduction of Kodachrome 35mm film in 1936 to the first example of the cardboard mount in the chart above (1941). These "green border" slides are identical to the earliest style (1941 - 49) in the chart above except the border color is different and they do not have the word "Kodachrome" on them which makes them an even simpler style than the 1941 mount. In all other aspects (width of the colored border, type of cardboard, "Made in U.S.A." label (font and position), embossed number in top left corner), they are the same. I am going to try to reach someone at Kodak that can confirm that these "green border" slides are, in fact, from the late 1930s which would probably make them VERY rare. Hopefully there are a few Kodachrome collectors out there who will pay a nice price for such an early example regardless of the quality and subject matter of the actual photo.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
Well... I have good news and bad news. The good news is I found the Jackie Kennedy photos - BOTH of them. The fact there are only two isn't the bad news, though. THIS is the bad news:

DSC06246.JPG DSC06247.JPG

With all the Kodachromes this guy took, he had Ektachrome in his camera when these were taken and, as you can see, Ektachrome doesn't hold its color well at all. There is a little bonus though. I also found pictures of another interesting character. How many of you can name the guy in the white hat?

DSC06249.JPG DSC06245.JPG

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know who it is, though I was very young at the time.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I was not born yet, but I recognized the "Nehru" jacket. Or is it called a Nehru collar? I bought a couple shirts back in the 90s that were cool like that.

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
Primary Interest:
Other
We have a winner! Nehru it is or, to be precise, Jawaharlal Nehru who was the first Prime Minister of India serving from 1947 - 1964. The style of jacket you see in these pictures became known as a Nehru jacket and was very popular among the "mod" crowd in the 1960s. The slides I bought last week included many of a trip to India. Apparently the photographer was there when Jackie Kennedy visited and I presume PM Nehru was there to greet her. I believe this visit took place in 1961.

kenstein

Sep 28, 2012
N.E. Texas
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 , Pro pointer, AT Pro
Primary Interest:
Other
FYI.....The wire shelving can be found at THE CONTAINER STORE, only in black, white or silver. I recently bought 4 poles (60") and 4 shelves (14" x 36") for about $150.00.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Tallone, not 100% positive, but I believe the man behind Jackie in the 2nd picture you posted is Secret Service Agent Floyd Boring. You might want to email him. floydboring.blogspot.com

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread