diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know several of you on here have found and sold Cutco knives before. My question is have any of you actually sent any of them in for replacement or sharpening? The reason I ask is because I purchased 7 or 8 pieces this past weekend for a couple dollars but the blades look pretty worn down and two of them have broken tips. I know they have a lifetime warranty but I'm wondering how good they are about replacing damaged/broken pieces. I wonder if they would replace the two with the broken tips?

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We looked into it but haven't done it yet. I think (if I remember right they will sharpen up to seven knives at a time for free but you pay shipping both ways. I think they may even replace the blades if needed. We are just waiting until we have seven to send in. Sorry my info isn't very helpful. I'd be interested in hearing from people that have experience with actually sending them in as well.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have heard they would as long as there isn't any obvious signs of abuse. I've found a couple of Cutco blocks, but no Cutco knives so far.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
These were in a block with a couple other knives, unfortunately it wasn't a Cutco block so I pulled the knives out. Then in another part of the house (estate sale) I found a carving fork and a strainer spoon that goes with it. I am debating whether or not to send them in. This is the first set I've found. I think they would sell for a better price if they were just factory reconditioned.

Coldshuz

May 18, 2012
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab Safari
Minelab X-Terra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just a bit of FYI Dig.

My son gave my wife and me a very nice set when he was in high school and worked for Cutco.
After about 10 years we sent the entire set less the sharpener in and they returned all new knives vs sharpening them. It was a good thing as my wife had washed all the steak knives in the dishwasher the entire time and the handles were bleaching. We basically had a full set of new knives upon their return. That was 5 years ago and it's nearly time to send them in again. I don't remember any fee for over 7 knives. We had sent in 8 steak knives, 2 small and one medium size paring knives, a long serrated one, and the big chopping one. Oh.. We did keep the "spread" knife and didn't send it in.

Last edited:

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I've had several Cutco knives over the last few years & just sold them as-is. They certainly sell for more if they are new, refurbished, or in pristine condition. I always assumed the shipping & the wait wasn't worth the extra money. Would be interested to know if I've been making a mistake.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
I'd send them in. My nephew worked for Cutco 2 years ago and said they were pretty good about the replacement stuff he had folks send in. And they do sell well in good-great condition!

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes that's what I'm contemplating, cost of shipping both ways versus the extra amount they may bring as either new or factory refurbished. I think I may do go ahead and do it, They were purchased in a small lot of items that I purchased for $20 so I may have $4 invested. They are so worn that you can hardly see the serration on the blades anymore. Here is a very similar set that sold recently. I have 8 pieces, all of these plus 1713 and 1758, but I don't have 1726. The blades on mine are in much worse shape, most of them.
7 Piece Lot Cutco Knives Brown Orange Handle 1720 1721 1723 1724 1726 1727 1729 | eBay

PS- I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
I have bought cutco several times at garage sale, estate sales, and so on. I try to put as many pieces together at a time and I send them in. They are returned either replaced with new or polished and sharpened. You can then sell them as Factory refurbished. The cost of doing this is pretty low, and most people appreciate getting them in perfect working condition. I even bought a cutco knife set on Ebay with the Chef's knife having a HUGE hunk taken out of it. They replaced it with a new knife (the set was so cheap because of the damage, I kept this set for myself).

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
Yes that's what I'm contemplating, cost of shipping both ways versus the extra amount they may bring as either new or factory refurbished. I think I may do go ahead and do it, They were purchased in a small lot of items that I purchased for $20 so I may have $4 invested. They are so worn that you can hardly see the serration on the blades anymore. Here is a very similar set that sold recently. I have 8 pieces, all of these plus 1713 and 1758, but I don't have 1726. The blades on mine are in much worse shape, most of them.
7 Piece Lot Cutco Knives Brown Orange Handle 1720 1721 1723 1724 1726 1727 1729 | eBay

PS- I'll keep you updated.

Here's a lot of 6 with the holder I sold recently that I'm pretty sure was priced about average.
Cutco 6 Piece Knife Set with Tray 's 20 21 22 23 24 25 Some Minor Issues | eBay

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Update- I sent the knives in and received them back last week. Just been too busy to post. Total cost was under $20 for shipping both ways, plus the $4 I spent on the set itself. They replaced 3 smaller knives with brand new black handled ones and refurbished the 3 larger ones. I may list these in a few different auction listings to try and get the most out of them, even though I'm contemplating a .99 start bid on a few of them. Still debating how to list.

DSC01938.JPG

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Awesome! Glad it went smooth and good luck on the sales!!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
A couple days after responding to this thread, I found a "set" of the red/black marbled serving utensils at Goodwill for $3.99! It included a ladle, slotted spoon, and two steak forks. Thanks Diggummup!

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
We bought a full set of Cutco knives about 36 years ago ..And they are still like new and we use them almost every day....I do not know what some do to beat there knives up so bad ...All i ever sent back to get sharpened was a pair of scissors back then i paid around $375.00 for the set...

Last edited:

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other
Update- I sent the knives in and received them back last week. Just been too busy to post. Total cost was under $20 for shipping both ways, plus the $4 I spent on the set itself. They replaced 3 smaller knives with brand new black handled ones and refurbished the 3 larger ones. I may list these in a few different auction listings to try and get the most out of them, even though I'm contemplating a .99 start bid on a few of them. Still debating how to list.

View attachment 1166926
You should keep them you will never find a better set of knives..For what i got in my full set you would pay over $3000.00 today for it..

Last edited:

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
One of my best buys ever was a huge knife block from Cutco. no knifes, just the BIG block. Paid about $2, sold it for $200. The biggest block is worth some serious bucks.

OP
OP
diggummup

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So I finally got around to listing these knives last week. I broke them up into 2 lots. The 3 new ones and the 5 piece refurbished lot. The 3 new ones sold in about 2 hours for $69.99 w/free ship., the 5 piece lot was listed for $79.99 and sat for several days, then I got an offer for $70. I figured it was a decent offer so I accepted it. Not bad for a total of about $24 invested.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions