May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked this up at a thrift store today. It has a silvery brass color and has four hall marks including 700. I thought I would take a chance it is real 700 fineness silver and bought it for $2. The hallmarks appear to be good but I am not sure. The acid test seemed right and even the rust spots disappeared when I put acid on it. When the acid is wiped off the rust spots are then a milky silver. My scale does not go up high so this is at least over a 1LB in weight. What do you think?
IMG_3511.JPG IMG_3510.JPG

NorthernTesoro

Oct 3, 2014
Colorado (Formerly MN)
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro &
Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
Other
Very interesting plate, the Mo mark is weird because that is the Mexico City mint mark, I have never seen it on anything other than coins.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those are 19th century Mexican Hallmarks. That being said , they could be forgery marks also. I can see that your plate was hand worked. The rust was caused from a ferrous object that was in contact with the plate. I don't have a book that dates anything that old but here is a photo of the oM mark and eagle with forgeries-

Scan10010-5.jpg

OP
OP
JimDon

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I saw that which is why I am suspect. If you are going to create a forgery why 700 and not 900 or 925. I may need to take this one to a professional.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread