billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Many of you may already use the Dendritics website to do calculations of your PM jewelry finds. But, in the past few days, the website owner has done a lot of work and now has Upgraded his revised layout. It now includes "Gold Filled" gold. It's under #3 "Purity".

I like the new format. With gold below $1,200, Gold Filled might not seem to be worth keeping, unless you plan to sell it more as jewelry than gold value. When gold was in the 1,800's, local "We buy gold" places started buying gold filled. Some based gold filled jewelry as "9kt", and did start buying it.

In your garage sale finds, using this page might give you some idea of what amount of gold is in a piece stamped with the fractional part of 12kt or 14kt...

Gold filled or not, like the bent 2" hoop earring I bought for a Quarter, stamped 14kt, and weighed 2.5 grams, when I use this new webpage, it always makes me smile.

Ultrafast Live Scrap Gold Calculator [USD] from Dendritics

Keep Hunting,
Bill

Last edited:

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good point Bill, I just auctioned off last night 110 grams of ladies case bezels and watch bands marked 10K gold filled, 1/20, 1/40, 10K, 12K rolled gold plate and fill for a tad over $85.00... I list it as "GF For Recovery Scrap Gold" Now I just need to set up my own processing. The items of GF out there are everywhere with recoverable gold, especially the old Victorian GF jewelry and pocket watch cases. It's literally a gold mine out there... You have, old eye glasses, watch cases, jewelry, cufflinks, computer scrap, etc. to look for. Knowledge is still key and packed with the info you provided, one can find gold for a bargain. In my dealings, I seem to always say to a seller, "all this is just goldfilled" and not the same as if it were solid gold and I'll be willing to pay this much for all of it. I don't even use a scale, as I now have a fair to midland idea of the values by my observations and weight in my hand. So far I haven't overpaid for the stuff. The scrap buyers pay about the same per gram as if it were .925 silver as a rule. I think sell'n online you get better.

Last edited:

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always treat gold filled items as if they were sterling silver as far as the prices go, though technically it's probably worth double that amount with today's low silver prices.

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Thanks for that site, Bill. I'm going to print that out each Friday so I can know, and show people when I make an offer.

OP
OP
billjustbill

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always treat gold filled items as if they were sterling silver as far as the prices go, though technically it's probably worth double that amount with today's low silver prices.

Diggum,

I like the way you compare it to something that a average guy/gal can keep in their mind as a "working" reference. Sometimes in the heat of a handful of gold and gold-filled jewelry finds, it hard to help the seller see what level they are actually selling.... things for. That a good reference tip!

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread