Have you ever seen this hallmark before?

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
2015-05-10 14.40.21.jpg

I can try to get a better picture of it.

here--
2015-05-10 16.00.28.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I'm just curious about the sun looking part

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As long as it tested positive, I wouldn't worry about the sunburst mark. I don't know of too many prominent jewelry designers in China. Though I'm sure they exist, they don't export too much of the "good stuff", it stays "in country". The big letters C H I N A is all anyone is going to notice anyway. The last 3 pieces of Chinese 14k I tested were fake so your lucky.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
I did a scratch test again. It held the line for a while. I walked away and came back a while later. I've had a lot of bad pieces from china, but I have had a few good ones. Hey, I had an 18K gold ring from Hong Kong that the jeweler really put through the ringer testing it. That sucker was REAL! (I took time lapse pictures of the acid test for my records. LOL.)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did a scratch test again. It held the line for a while. I walked away and came back a while later. I've had a lot of bad pieces from china, but I have had a few good ones. Hey, I had an 18K gold ring from Hong Kong that the jeweler really put through the ringer testing it. That sucker was REAL! (I took time lapse pictures of the acid test for my records. LOL.)
If it was stamped Hong Kong it was probably a vintage piece.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
If it was stamped Hong Kong it was probably a vintage piece.

It's on my other computer; I'll try to find it. I got it in a jar. It was a "flying pig". It was marked 750. I didn't believe it. At first, they also didn't. They did an acid test. They x-rayed it. They actually cut into a tiny bit, and did some other test on it. It was 18K. They asked me how much I was going to list it for. I said, I thought $50, but I don't know. The jeweler really wanted it. (First dumb thing ... if he really wants it, there is a reason.) He had a bangle of mine for months. I don't know if you remember; it was one I found last year for $3. From 1890, with diamonds and emeralds. It was missing one emerald. I debated about selling it, but asked about changing out the emeralds for rubies. The rubies were going to cost $400, plus labor. The first thought that popped into my head was, fix the bangle and don't charge me a penny. So me and my dumb, big mouth ... that is what I said. We wrote it up. I got my bangle fixed for "free", and he got my flying pig. Well, the next day, I had regrets. I come into the store, and it is in the case .. for $3500. :-( Oh well. The bangle is spectacular. He speculates it worth probably close to 2K, so over all, I guess it was a fair trade. I'll get you pictures of both of them.

OP
OP
M

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Here Dig, this --
2015-03-11 10.39.09.jpg 2015-03-11 10.39.17.jpg
turned into this --
IMG-20150421-WA0007.jpg IMG-20150421-WA0008.jpg
I'm not too upset anymore. Because he is willing to let it sit in the store for years if need be. Until the right buyer comes along. Meanwhile, I have a bangle I love and can wear right now. So I guess it win-win. (Plus, he helps a lot. He tests stuff for me, tells me what stones are, etc. Sells me parts at cost.) It all works out.

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
Fair trade...that's life. And I'm with you. Its hurts at first thinking about the $$ YOU could have made, but then you add up the assistance and information and deals you have worked out (past and future) and its ok. Based on your jewelry scores, you are still way ahead in the game!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions