Texas Man Finds Treasure Hidden in Chest From Estate Sale

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
Ahhhh, the stuff of Internet legend and falsehoods created to make one famous for 15 minutes, rather than rich. Sorry I'm not buying it. Too many of these stories on the Internet the last five years. Everybody wants their 15 minutes.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
If you DON'T research what you have or if you don't thoroughly inspect what you are selling and I buy it ... it's mine.

I subscribe to the "As-Is" theory. I've bought things that look nice but don't work (and lost money on the deal) but I've also bought things that came with surprise bonus. Some things go my way, others don't. If I gave back everything that went my way, I wouldn't make money doing this.

Paleo_joe

Mar 5, 2011
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Once it's at an estate sale, it's finders keepers.

My uncle died recently and his house just sold. He paid cash for everything and I guarantee you there is cash hidden in that house, or the workshop, or the garden. But family politics kept me from broaching that topic to his ex, my aunt, or his sons, my cousins. They didn't want too much to do with my side of the family. Man.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My parents moved a chest just like that one when Grandma died . They removed the 3 drawers for loading - They heard stuff in there - they then found the secrete drawer at the bottom . It was like time capsule . No gold or silver - just a bunch of ephemera ,etc . It is still untouched . I'll try to get a plc next time i visit them .

airborne1092

Sep 7, 2008
Inland NW
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Caveat Empator sometimes means the buyer has to beware and ready for calls of the conscious, too. I guess I might have offered to sell back the items to the org. owner's family.

I know that sounds like a Richard move, but they could have done a better job inspecting their own furniture before sending it to the auction house. Please don't tell me the chest had never been rough handled up to that point. Always the skeptic however, perhaps the helper was more or less responding to the idea that this guy was unhappy with the purchase and preparing himself to have to tell the guy to suck it up. Maybe someone from the auction house already went through the chest and grabbed some of the really good stuff before it hit the auction floor.

I dunno - just shooting from the hip. I'm fairly certain the valuables were removed before the media pictures were snapped...

Last edited:

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I'm with all the skeptics on this one. I saved and blew the picture up as much as I could and there is nothing I can see that I haven't seen many times before. Of course there could be some diamond rings in there, or some solid gold chains, but as far as newsworthy, no.

I know they played on some of it being military momentos, but again, I see those at almost every estate sale I attend. Sad, but what it is today.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread