Hallmark ID help...

Sterling

Jan 24, 2012
central, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Picked up this spoon recently, I found the info on the Guion Line, but had no luck on the hallmarks....hope these pics help...thx image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Lost&Found

Jul 27, 2013
NYC
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this mark for Adolph Frankau & Co image.jpg

Not sure if it's the same maker as yours

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
Diggs and Mackaydon nailed it, but because of the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I knew just looking at the left facing lion you had British sterling, and the anchor means Birmingham.

OP
OP
Sterling

Sterling

Jan 24, 2012
central, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for all your help everyone for all your help, and what would be a good price to start on this spoon....

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Diggs and Mackaydon nailed it, but because of the wealth of knowledge on this forum, I knew just looking at the left facing lion you had British sterling, and the anchor means Birmingham.

It's plated. You are looking at the mark Lost&Found posted. Still a nice find.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for all your help everyone for all your help, and what would be a good price to start on this spoon....
That's a hard one, $24.99 maybe for a start price. I'm interested to see what others may think. There are collectors of this type of item out there and this would be a relatively rare piece I would think, especially since I can't find anything from this shipping line as far as service wares goes. The few things that have sold weren't cheap so interest shouldn't be a problem. Many immigrants to the US came over on a Guion Line ship, this was their main transport for many of the years they were in operation. They were mainly a no frills operation. It's too bad this wasn't named to a particular ship of that line, but I don't see that being a problem. Nice piece of history.

ps- Several pieces of flatware recovered from the Andrea Doria have recently sold for around $100 to give you an example of what something from a famous shipwreck is selling for.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions