Sold a diamond tennis bracelet for...

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I thought for sure my wife would want to keep the bracelet. She loves diamonds like all women were lots of them too. And luckily thank goodness this one was too big for her! So I'm not sure if the offer I got was too low because I'm not a diamond guru. In fact I hate them until I learn more about them anyways. Which is the plan the summer when my kids have off we're going to sit here and watch YouTube videos about grading diamonds for the day. I figure they need to learn to. Somebody's going to have to do a something with all the stuff when I'm gone! Anyways here is the bracelet going in the mail tomorrow.

image-1505077184.jpg

And due to the fact I have more kids than brains this is what I'm going to put the money towards buying for the summer and probably every day because were in South Florida and it's always summer here. But the yard sale suck in the summertime so this will be better.

image-4019998489.jpg

Hope you enjoy, I think I'm going to sign off for a while and try to catch up. I have to figure out what my password is them so I can remember when I log on again in a couple weeks or months whenever, oh yeah football starts too. that's five nights a week for the summer. and cheerleading is four nights a week!! thank God it's at the same place!!

Turbo21

Bronze Member
Jun 24, 2014
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Eurotek pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good sale

Whatever you do. Don't buy the bonsai waterslide. It's the big orange one at toys r us. The material is cheap. And it dry rotted within the first 2 months. It seriously just fell apart. Toys r us. Won't take them as returns once opened. And the company that makes it told us to get bent. Worst $500 I ever spent

This one is similar to the one I had

http://m.target.com/p/blast-zone-pi...1cLjxv2ojsklEdXWHGrz6JA11vXJnooXhBhoCJP7w_wcB

Just make sure you read all the reviews on multiple sites before buying

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
I'm proud for you on the sale. Can't say the same for the waterslide. Definitely counter productive to the goal of getting into a better financial position you have mentioned several times.....

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm proud for you on the sale. Can't say the same for the waterslide. Definitely counter productive to the goal of getting into a better financial position you have mentioned several times.....

True. Very true. To be honest though I haven't heard very many wealthy people who have tons of kids, debt and a large savings account. We are focusing on paying off our credit cards again. Of course I just use them to buy whole bunch of stuff to resell.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Credit cards are a vicious scam. They are a necessary evil, but should only be kept for emergencies, car rentals, and hotel reservations.

Once upon a time I had a stellar credit rating. Numerous cards with limits close to 200k. I carried about 18K on them. Interest wasn't bad and I could always do balance transfers with 0%. With only 10% utilization, I was golden.

Then the proverbial youknowwhat hit the fan in 2008. Credit limits were slashed and I went from 10% utilization to around 40%. My credit went into the toilet instantly. The interest rates on my existing cards shot up because of my credit scores. So even though I was never late on a payment, and played by the rules for years, I got screwed big time. Lesson learned.

I paid all the cards off and now keep just 2 for the reasons stated above.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Does buying in large amounts of jewelry from Estates count as an emergency too? I know technically it does not but it needed to be done. I can't get a business loan other then something that has a 10-18%+ interest rate. So right now the one card has a 25K limit and use that. It's a fixed 8% even on cash advances. I need $800 more in sales and I will have that paid off in 2-3 weeks for what I spent at these two Estates and I haven't even sold the big stuff yet. I currently have $450 plus going in auctions right now. So even though I'm using it it will be paid off shortly and with summer coming I'm going to be very limited to how much I can get out having a herd of children.

We have been building up a savings account but I don't pull anything out of there unless it's an emergency or for the house. And we have paid off both surgeries last month that were $5000 as well. Waiting on a reimbursement check of $1800 for my wife's surgery so that will be nice when it gets here!! But that will go right into the savings account.

Also I'm liquidating my horde of stuff. I've gotten to the point where I've kept so much I have very little extra money to spend so it's time for it to go. 180 + grams 14k headed to the refinery. ...
Another box will be headed this week or next. There is a plan to the insanity I believe.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would use it to purchase something I could turn a quick profit on. I would not use it if I had to sit on something and carry a balance. That's just my opinion, what's right for me doesn't mean it's right for everyone else.

trdhrdr007

Bronze Member
Nov 1, 2009
It's not my place to tell other people what to do plus I don't have any idea what anyone else's individual situation is. All I can do is point out that spending what I'm assuming is a few hundred dollars on something that is unnecessary, will raise your utility bills, & will wear out within a short period of time is not consistent with becoming wealthy. What anyone does with that information is up to them.

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
It's not my place to tell other people what to do plus I don't have any idea what anyone else's individual situation is. All I can do is point out that spending what I'm assuming is a few hundred dollars on something that is unnecessary, will raise your utility bills, & will wear out within a short period of time is not consistent with becoming wealthy. What anyone does with that information is up to them.

Since you're doling out advice and admonitions I'll add my own...

I find it odd that you are calling someone out about how they choose to spend their money on a public forum. I don't know what Beachkid may have posted previously about his finances and I don't care, but a PM would have been a better route in my opinion.

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're doling out advice and admonitions I'll add my own... I find it odd that you are calling someone out about how they choose to spend their money on a public forum. I don't know what Beachkid may have posted previously about his finances and I don't care, but a PM would have been a better route in my opinion.

Oh no it's okay I've had a episode of I'm in debt and my whole life is falling apart on one thread in here. But it's alright. I'm going to sign off for a while I'll be back on my credit cards are paid off. Which means I'm going to sell everything I own because this website is my only form of entertainment besides yard sales and thrift stores! At least have of things I enjoy doing with my free time! It's all good!!!

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since you're doling out advice and admonitions I'll add my own...

I find it odd that you are calling someone out about how they choose to spend their money on a public forum. I don't know what Beachkid may have posted previously about his finances and I don't care, but a PM would have been a better route in my opinion.

I find it odd that if you choose to weigh in on something that you self admittedly know nothing about.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is interesting about this Forum, and the whole website for that matter, is the "Diversity" in points of view. We all come from different degrees of seeing the world around us. We learn from each other; some teach with 'Kidd gloves" while others with "A stick in the eye". Adjust to the different approaches and keep going.

It looks and sounds like you are on the right track with some needed "R & R", this Forum can become "Too much of a Good Thing". Your focus on how you are getting out of debt is very wise. The Money Men first dissolved the National budget cap, and now they say the reporting of the hourly and daily changes of our National Debt has been frozen, so it doesn't show up any longer.

The only thing left that the Market Men haven't tried is currency devaluation. With the help from China and Russia, it's coming. If a person is in debt, that number stays the same, but the currency used to pay on it is worth less and less. Stopping to use some unique assets, like the sale of PM jewelry and collectibles, toward paying down or paying off debts and expenses for some down time with the family is a blessing. You have to slow down or even stop sometimes in order to regain both your financial and physiological balance. And even that costs money. We've all learned it's a hobby, way of live, and a learning curve, and that Wealth is measured in many different ways.

When your Mind and Money "foundation" has improved, stabilized, and reenergized , you'll know when you're ready to come back for more....:icon_thumright:

Bill

OP
OP
B

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I spent 2 hrs on the phone with my best friend from back home. Just total bs and chatting. He is living the dream out in Los Angeles actually in Hollywood, lots of money, lots of women, lots of everything. Goes to tell me he wishes he had my life. Being stuck at home with kids and a wife. Huh? Because I swear at this point in my life I'd rather have his life! I haven't seen a bar in probably four years maybe five. I'm only 34! Yes I've been to some like going out to dinner but never going out to go out. I've been married for eight years. I would be sick if she went to the bar with somebody else and not me. So I'm not going to do that to her unless it's with my brother-in-laws.

So long we talked about kids and jobs but we really started to talk about things we used to do in the past. I think after I talked to him, I figured out what is really bothering me that I haven't been able to put my finger on.

He told me to go listen to this song. Granite my kids are way young but this song describes us growing up.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uwIGZLjugKA

But even though this song has nothing to do with them it has everything to do with my past. Then getting deeper into it I had a very strong relationship with my parents and I still do to this day where my wife does not have the same thing with hers. Besides that I've blown my kids off so many times so I can list stuff on eBay so I can go to yard sales. So I can go find something to resell to make some extra money.

But hearing from somebody who has everything they could possibly want that is physical but wanting what I have, even though I don't really appreciate was really a kick in the junk for me. So my kids are very athletic. I'm getting fatter by the day. Their cousin plays for the Washington Redskins. And I think it's time to make some changes before I become a fat dad who can't even entertain their interests when they get older. And give them the relationship I had from my dad growing up. Sorry about another rant but this site has been a blessing to me more than you guys really know. Sorry if you don't like the word but it's true!

I've been a really good treasure hunter and I've been a really good collector. I've been a really good finder of treasures and a really good picker of stuff I don't need. But I've been a really crappy spending time with my kids type of dad.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
Damn.. Deep post. I love it.
I don't have kids so I don't know what you're going through.. But just find a balance man. Maybe even get them into the hobby one day??
Good luck.. I'll miss reading your posts man.

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Don't beat yourself up. I used to be that way. I found a great quote years ago ... "Where ever your thoughts are, there you are. All of you." Think about it. I would pick up the kids from school, and on the way home they would be telling me all about their day. I didn't hear a word they said, because I wasn't there. I was at home thinking about the dishes to wash or the laundry to do. Or I was at the grocery store running through the list of things I need to buy. I finally told my kids, especially when I am at home and sitting by the computer (like on this forum), that they need to have me look at them to really, really hear them.
For me, my focus these years have been on really being there, in the moment. Not just getting through the moment, but living the moment.

huntsman53

Gold Member
Jun 11, 2013
East Tennessee
Primary Interest:
Other
I think it is great that you have a plan to pay off the bills, get in shape and spend some needed quality time with your kids! After the Military, I worked for Uncle Sam for almost 33 years and was on call 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. Starting out low on the salary scale, I spent most of my off time in the early years, metal detecting...fishing, shrimping and crabbing to pay the bills, make ends meet and put food on the table. When we moved from Key West to Elkins, WV with my' job, I then spent most of my off time and awoke hours buying, selling and trading items or mulling over ways that I could make money. This left no time to spend with my three daughters and I regret it very, very much. Now that I am retired and have two of my daughters and my 5 grandkids living with me, I still do the same, otherwise we could not make it from month to month on my' retirement income. Again, this leaves little to no time to spend with my daughters and my grandkids and even though I regret it every day, I have come to the realization that it will likely be this way until the day I die. If I could find a way to make money from the grave, I probably would because when I am gone, my daughters and grandkids will have it really tough!

Frank

Doubter in MD

Bronze Member
Jan 18, 2013
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TE=Joe777Cool;4544026]I find it odd that if you choose to weigh in on something that you self admittedly know nothing about.
I don't need to know anything more than what I have read. If Beachkid is ok with the discourse then I was out of line. But if I considered him a friend I would have taken it to PM.

But if you are a close knit bunch who don't mind admonishing each other on a public forum where anyone can read it then perhaps I was out of line in my previous post.

Beachkid
I am 55. I come from a family of 9 kids. I was the eighth of those nine. When I was four, neighbors left Christmas presents on our doorstep. We were seriously hurting.

We were a close knit family and my parents struggled to keep food on the table when I was young. Gas was cheap and my Dad drove a VW Microbus. He and my Mom would coupon clip, scan the circulars, and drive the circuit getting the best deals on groceries at all of the local stores.

I'll share a few stories about these trips.

On one trip, they forgot my sister Nancy came along and she wandered off and was briefly left behind.

On another occasion, at an A & P store, my brother told me to climb in a cart and he pushed me through the store at what felt to me like warp speed. He ran us into a stacked display of instant coffee and my Father had to pay for the broken jars. My brother and I got a butt whippin' for that.

I am sorry that I am rambling. Here is the bottom line. My wife and I love our children. They are both now in their 20's, and while we spent a lot of time with them growing up, we let our jobs get in the way more often than we should have.

Take the time to bond with your children. You can't go wrong.

Joe777Cool

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't need to know anything more than what I have read. If Beachkid is ok with the discourse then I was out of line. But if I considered him a friend I would have taken it to PM.

But if you are a close knit bunch who don't mind admonishing each other on a public forum where anyone can read it then perhaps I was out of line in my previous post.

Beachkid
I am 55. I come from a family of 9 kids. I was the eighth of those nine. When I was four, neighbors left Christmas presents on our doorstep. We were seriously hurting.

We were a close knit family and my parents struggled to keep food on the table when I was young. Gas was cheap and my Dad drove a VW Microbus. He and my Mom would coupon clip, scan the circulars, and drive the circuit getting the best deals on groceries at all of the local stores.

I'll share a few stories about these trips.

On one trip, they forgot my sister Nancy came along and she wandered off and was briefly left behind.

On another occasion, at an A & P store, my brother told me to climb in a cart and he pushed me through the store at what felt to me like warp speed. He ran us into a stacked display of instant coffee and my Father had to pay for the broken jars. My brother and I got a butt whippin' for that.

I am sorry that I am rambling. Here is the bottom line. My wife and I love our children. They are both now in their 20's, and while we spent a lot of time with them growing up, we let our jobs get in the way more often than we should have.

Take the time to bond with your children. You can't go wrong.

maybe I was a bit harsh too.....it's ok we are all friends here!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm glad everybody's getting along again, lol. Seriously though, kids need attention. They will get it one way or another, be it positive or negative. It's up to you to decide how/if you want to give it to them.

I don't usually share too much personal info. but I will today...

My dad was "around" the entire time I was growing up, physically that is. However, he wasn't one for showing anyone any kind of attention to any of his 5 kids. This in turn made us kids act out in negative ways. Yeah, we were regular juvenile delinquents we were. We were getting his attention now. Not in a good way though. Nowadays, my dad lives about 2 miles from me. I see him maybe 2 or 3 times a year, birthday, Christmas and Father's day, maybe. This is what happens when you don't establish a relationship with your child during their impressionable years. I love him, he's my father, but I don't have a relationship with him, never have. None of his kids or grandkids do. Sad but true.

My advice...
Pay attention to your kids now and give them the love and attention they need while they are young. You don't want to wake up one day in the near future and find out it's too late. Besides, you may need them when you get too old to take care of yourself.

mjm579

Jan 6, 2013
Montgomery County, PA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think buying your kids something is very selfless of you. In the end, it will prob cost less than a family vacation (consider what you paid for the bracelet) and the kids will enjoy it for more than a week. I guess you could also see what water/amusement parks are close by and compare the season pass to the price of the slide.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread