WHOA. First Time Posting, but I feel like an old friend!

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Everyone! I just posted this in Today's Finds - but figured I'd share here - since GS and TS are where I love to look!!

I've been a Tnet stalker for a few years now, but never really felt like I had anything to share. Until today! I know I didn't find it with a detector, but is gold....

WHoOOOO!

So I was driving down to Home Depot, and I spotted a yard sale on the side of the road with some large sheets of tempered glass leaned up against the tree. So I pulled over because I've got a project I need some glass for. (Trying to build some closet doors)

The person there says I can take the 80 by 24 inch sheets for 2 bucks each... SOLD! Yeah! It's just what I needed! :hello2:

So then I start to poke around. I bought a brand new apple computer keyboard in the box for a buck, and then two awesome over the mirror light fixtures (each for a buck). And I make my way over to the clothes and counter.... I almost fell out of my skin when I got to the jewelry table, which was shockingly vacant of other people (probably because most of the stuff there was a bunch of rain soaked linens and stuffed animals....)

And I saw this straight off the bat...

IMG_7097.JPG IMG_7102.JPG

I'm no sucker, but it looked legit, and when I saw the markings - I had to ask... how much you want for it? They said 10 bucks for the set, and the box had 18K written on it. *MINE*

That got my interest piqued, so I kept looking.

I look around some more and start shaking when I start pulling REALLY nice jewelry... I mean, like NICE, from stacks of costume junk.

IMG_7098.JPG IMG_7100.JPG IMG_7101.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg

All in all I take up the necklace set, the opal earrings, the CZ pendant, and the aquamarine pendant - plus the tempered glass panels and a few other nicknacks to the checkout. And I look down at a row of watches and see this.....

IMG_7090.JPG

I was a little suspicious at first, because let's be real.... who would have a Rolex mixed in with this bunch... but the more I looked the more I was convinced it was a vintage Day-Date. I even wound it up, to see if the movement was smooth, which is was..... So I put it in my stack, wondering what they're gonna ask for it.

I'm SHOCKED when they total up what everything to $56.00. I couldn't get my money out quick enough, and then they guy stops for a second. He then says, oh yea, - it's half price day because they want the stuff gone... - I ask him, if he's sure.... because I wasn't gonna argue... but he said he liked me, so he did it. I walk out for $28.00 with 18K, 14K, 10K and a potential vintage Rolex.

It's too bad that I like shiny things, and will probably keep it all.

The large gold necklace set checks out at 18K, the Victorian Opal Earrings are marked 14K, and so is the Aquamarine pendant and earrings set. The three CZ pendant is marked 10k. And I got a set of cool Jasper and sterling earrings and a green glass and sterling set of earrings as well.

I'm wondering if anyone has reference materials on Rolex? Or where I could start looking. It's been worn for at least thirty years, judging by the wear and tear, and when I wound it up, and it runs smooth as glass - no tick-tocking at all. I'm certain it was Grandpappy's watch that no one knew about...

I've always heard about sales like this, where people hit big. BUT MAN. I didn't think they still happened.

Last edited:

masterjedi

Bronze Member
May 24, 2014
Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab's CTX 3030, E-Trac & EQ800, Fisher F75LTD SE & F44, Whites MXT All PRO, Whites TRX Pointer & Shovel, Predator Tools Raptor hand digger & Ranger shovel. Grey Ghost Ultimate headphones.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to Tnet... you scored... :)

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds! Your jewelry all looks really nice. As far as the Rolex I'm sure there are others that will chime in. What I've learned from them is that there will be a serial number on both sides of the band or where the band Connects to the watch itself. I believe on the back. But I know very little about watches and I'm still learning every day!

I hope you found a watch that's worth a lot of money. For $28 for all that stuff you did really well!! There's a lot of people on here to find good deals quite often. Just takes the time to learn what you might find! I'd say you got the learning part down though. Awesome score and again, welcome!!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Welcome to T-Net! That necklace beats any of my jewelry finds, and maybe any single find of mine ever. So, don't worry too much about if the Rolex is real, and you don't have to find anything to join the conversation.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Awesome finds! You know what to look for thats for sure. Now you are hooked I bet :). As for the Rolex, I know nothing but there are web sites on how to tell genuine from fake. I hope it's real!

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi, nice finds! Your jewelry all looks really nice. As far as the Rolex I'm sure there are others that will chime in. What I've learned from them is that there will be a serial number on both sides of the band or where the band Connects to the watch itself. I believe on the back. But I know very little about watches and I'm still learning every day!

I hope you found a watch that's worth a lot of money. For $28 for all that stuff you did really well!! There's a lot of people on here to find good deals quite often. Just takes the time to learn what you might find! I'd say you got the learning part down though. Awesome score and again, welcome!!

Watches are tough.... I'll keep my fingers crossed and take it into a dealer friend of mine... but for five bucks! Had to risk it to get the biscuit... (hopefully). I pick up fun things here and there but for sure this was the largest jewelry find in one place. I've read several of your posts and You're a Total PRO!

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to T-Net! That necklace beats any of my jewelry finds, and maybe any single find of mine ever. So, don't worry too much about if the Rolex is real, and you don't have to find anything to join the conversation.

Thanks BatCap for being so nice! I'm excited to join the conversation. Hopefully you'll hit the banner find this weekend. Keep looking! It's out there. Today's grabs got me pumped and encouraged there's still great things to find.

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome! Awesome finds! You know what to look for thats for sure. Now you are hooked I bet :). As for the Rolex, I know nothing but there are web sites on how to tell genuine from fake. I hope it's real!

Thanks! and TOTALLY HOOKED. With 18 K jewelry out there for five bucks to buy, I'll be on the hunt! Hope you have awesome luck too!

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Great scores, Shiny T! And welcome to TNet. Regarding your Rolex... I couple of months ago I picked one up and an estate sale for $5 and posted it here. A lively discussion ensued about whether or not it was real and how to tell the difference. I've since concluded mine is a fake. I'll try to find the thread and post a link to it here. You can find the thread here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...uff-bottle-rolex-native-american-pottery.html

Last edited:

mugsisme

Bronze Member
Jan 25, 2014
Primary Interest:
Other
Wow, what a welcome to Tnet! You totally hit the jackpot! Great scores. Tallone posted that thread. I did find a Rolex that was real. However, mine did not have those numbers on the back. (it was really vintage, 1943, I think.) Can you take a picture of the back of it, and especially by the lug nuts? (those are the doo-hickeys that stick out to connect the face of the watch to the band.)
Congrats, and now you're totally hooked, right?

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
A Rolex is a tic toc watch if the second hand is moving smoothly then it is electronic and a fake.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A Rolex is a tic toc watch if the second hand is moving smoothly then it is electronic and a fake.

If you ever find a "fake" tic toc Rolex watch that has a smooth second hand, please PM me and I will buy it from you.

Rolex has an automatic movement and it apprears that the second hand is going smoothly because it is ticking between the seconds. You should really spend some time checking out luxury watches and learning about them. It's not until you spend that time with them that you will fall in love with them. Then you will be able to tell the difference between a high-end watch and a less expensive one. I've been to Switzerland and seen some of the world's most beautiful watches.

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great scores, Shiny T! And welcome to TNet. Regarding your Rolex... I couple of months ago I picked one up and an estate sale for $5 and posted it here. A lively discussion ensued about whether or not it was real and how to tell the difference. I've since concluded mine is a fake. I'll try to find the thread and post a link to it here. You can find the thread here:

http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/g...uff-bottle-rolex-native-american-pottery.html

Thank you so much! I'm not sure on this one yet, because I know they are faked a LOT. I'm hoping and I'll keep you posted. I looked for the serial numbers, but there wasn't anything there. Judging by the wear it may be older than when they stamped them? Or it's a bust....

I don't know yet! But you gotta risk it, for the biscuit! I'm certainly not gonna lose on all the Gold... except if I keep it... Ha!

Thanks for the warm welcome Tallone!

OP
OP
iloveshinythings

iloveshinythings

May 30, 2015
TN
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you ever find a "fake" tic toc Rolex watch that has a smooth second hand, please PM me and I will buy it from you.

Rolex has an automatic movement and it apprears that the second hand is going smoothly because it is ticking between the seconds. You should really spend some time checking out luxury watches and learning about them. It's not until you spend that time with them that you will fall in love with them. Then you will be able to tell the difference between a high-end watch and a less expensive one. I've been to Switzerland and seen some of the world's most beautiful watches.

Next time a watch tour of Switzerland comes up on the table, count me in! That sounds superb.

Great info!

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you so much! I'm not sure on this one yet, because I know they are faked a LOT. I'm hoping and I'll keep you posted. I looked for the serial numbers, but there wasn't anything there. Judging by the wear it may be older than when they stamped them? Or it's a bust.... I don't know yet! But you gotta risk it, for the biscuit! I'm certainly not gonna lose on all the Gold... except if I keep it... Ha! Thanks for the warm welcome Tallone!

Even if you keep it you're not gonna lose out. You go to the store and buy retail, yes, then you definitely lose out! Shoot if you keep it you're just gonna be like everybody else on this form. Not like there's no one in this place not keeping anything they buy! I spent several hundred dollars on with the intentions of reselling it. Five years later hasn't even seen Internet... probably never will.

Scar

Dec 25, 2010
You are right and I was wrong mekulltra. I pulled mine out of the drawer and shook it a couple of times and the hand started to move. I stopped wearing it 20 years ago. Rolex watches use to not cost as much as they do today. I bought my Rolex Submariner new in 1970 for $260.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Welcome to the forum Stacey! Great way to make an entrance. Even if the Rolex is fake, you did very well. Congratulations on your finds and your transition from lurker to poster! I'm still holding my gold and silver. No need to sell at the moment.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are right and I was wrong mekulltra. I pulled mine out of the drawer and shook it a couple of times and the hand started to move. I stopped wearing it 20 years ago. Rolex watches use to not cost as much as they do today. I bought my Rolex Submariner new in 1970 for $260.

That's a shame that it is just sitting in a drawer. You should take it out and wear it once in awhile. Of course I say that while I have a Patek sitting at home that I never wear because I don't want to damage it. I also have a smart watch that I wore for a couple months and stopped wearing. I like my everyday watches though. I usually wear either a Citizen Eco Drive or a watch I bought while in Switzerland. I worked in fine jewelry and watches for awhile and learned a lot about both.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread