cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I went on vacation in April, two weeks in Japan, and it has been hard to get back into sailing every Saturday. Yesterday was only my 2nd full 5-6 hours of yard sailing.

Two light bulbs burned out last week so bulbs were on my list. (I do not like the new ones. don't like the color or the price) My second YS of the morning there was a box of bulbs and the lady only wanted $1. I couldn't refuse. 11 bulbs total, so I get home and look close, they are all 71 Watt which is pretty bright. After lunch I put one in the kitchen. it burned out after dinner ;)

My only potential good buy yesterday was 8 rolls of old film. 6 are 8mm movie and 2 are polaroid 108 All are in an un opened box except one of the 108. oldest "date" March 1966,(I was in high school) but most are in the 70's I offered $1 and it was accepted. Might make 50-60 on this.

dumpsterdiver

Dec 12, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The local talk radio DJ always brags about how he is stockpiling old light bulbs so his house will look normal while everyone else has a weird glow in their houses. If he finds them on sale at a store he buys all of them. Its much funnier to hear him rant about it. It's also probably a wise investment.

Do they have yard sales in Japan?

I went on vacation in April, two weeks in Japan, and it has been hard to get back into sailing every Saturday. Yesterday was only my 2nd full 5-6 hours of yard sailing.

Two light bulbs burned out last week so bulbs were on my list. (I do not like the new ones. don't like the color or the price) My second YS of the morning there was a box of bulbs and the lady only wanted $1. I couldn't refuse. 11 bulbs total, so I get home and look close, they are all 71 Watt which is pretty bright. After lunch I put one in the kitchen. it burned out after dinner ;)

My only potential good buy yesterday was 8 rolls of old film. 6 are 8mm movie and 2 are polaroid 108 All are in an un opened box except one of the 108. oldest "date" March 1966,(I was in high school) but most are in the 70's I offered $1 and it was accepted. Might make 50-60 on this.

mjlalt

Jul 18, 2012
Massachusetts
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I like the Cree Soft/Warm White (2700K) led lights. The 2700K led bulbs give off a light similar too an old school light bulb.
I get them for about $4-5 at home depot . It saves me money on my electric bill because they are extremely energy efficient.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
I just don't know where to go with that translation; just look at it: "Yādosēru" . . . . . . Yādo = yard . . . . . . . . . sēru = sale. Is Google Translate a cross between a racist comic ("Flied Lice") and kid speaking Pig Latin?
Image searching "ヤードセール" does make the translation quite clear. Maybe they say "Yard sale" the way we say "c'est la vie!" or "Carte Blanche" or "Cinco de Mayo". It's that thing we do with the foreign name. . . . Oktoberfest, Mardi Gras, or Ménage à trois.
:icon_thumleft::censored::icon_thumright:

Last edited:

OldSowBreath

Mar 18, 2009
I tried to be green, lower my carbon footprint, blah, blah, blah, and bought one of the new bulbs for the lamp I read by. Put it in, turned it on, and couldn't see shinola. Kept thinking it was already burned out or defective, and finally looked under the shade, and there, to my amazement, it was on. Had about as much candlepower as a flashlight bulb hooked up to a dead AAA battery. I think they have created a form of light that doesn't travel. A light year for these bulbs would be about 2 feet. This is probably what is at the center of every black hole. We'd still be singing God Save the Queen if Paul Revere had to depend on any signal using one of these. I've seen brighter lumps of coal. An aerial map of these at night would make North Korea look like Las Vegas. They finally found the dark matter of the universe.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I tried to be green, lower my carbon footprint, blah, blah, blah, and bought one of the new bulbs for the lamp I read by. Put it in, turned it on, and couldn't see shinola. Kept thinking it was already burned out or defective, and finally looked under the shade, and there, to my amazement, it was on. Had about as much candlepower as a flashlight bulb hooked up to a dead AAA battery. I think they have created a form of light that doesn't travel. A light year for these bulbs would be about 2 feet. This is probably what is at the center of every black hole. We'd still be singing God Save the Queen if Paul Revere had to depend on any signal using one of these. I've seen brighter lumps of coal. An aerial map of these at night would make North Korea look like Las Vegas. They finally found the dark matter of the universe.

Because I don't ever see them at garage sales or flea markets, I've been looking at L.E.D. bulbs and it's like trying to decide what part of the Golden Gate Bridge do you want to stand on to throw away a fist full of money the fastest? Apparently it's all measured in Lumens of light output and trying to get the most Lumens for least cash is my frustration. Even when I find one on sale or in the clearance isle, it's usually because it's old technology and there's a brighter model in the same packaging on the store shelf with better Specs. Plus, using them and storing spares have to be considered. The bulb's L.E.D. circuitry usually has cooling fins in its design, so they can't be used in an enclosed fixture... I've read that unless they are stored in a Faraday Cage or equilvant, that If/When an EMP were to be used over the U.S., all unprotected and in use would burnout in a flash.

I read where the CFL's made by a company named "Globe" were shorting out and catching fire.

To help save me some additional anguish and time, what brand is the one you have?

Thanks,
Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread