Odd Japanese Occupational Notes

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have a sign in my shop that says I buy foreign coins. A guy comes in with these and wants to know if I'd want to buy them. He said hes got about 30 of them. I don't normally work with foreign paper, so I can't tell if they're genuine. I told him to come in next week with them. I couldn't find anything on fake ones. My concerns are the paper doesn't feel right and the coloring doesn't look right. Like on the 100 the color is faded, but its a crisp bill. The 1000 looks like there's a fold in the middle, but its just how it was printed. Is there anything I should look for next time to check for authenticity? Thanks

Attachments

• 2015-06-02 12.04.22.jpg
    2015-06-02 12.04.22.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 136

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Japanese Government notes in dollars were used in Malaysia versus notes in pesos (The Philippines), rupees(Burma), guldens (Netherlands Indies); and pounds (Oceania). The notes were poorly printed. The ink was quite bad, and usually diluted at a time when supplies were in short supply, and the paper was quite thin and waxy.
Don.....

OP
OP
D

dw171

Aug 8, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks. I had read that they were made poorly because they were trying to print them as fast as possible. Just didn't know they would have been that bad.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I am not any expert on them...but I know I got a few, and I never considered them to be worth anything.

bigcaddy64

Apr 20, 2013
Fullerton, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those notes are very common, especially in uncirculated condition. I picked up about 15 of those at an antique shop in big bear a few months ago for about 10.00

The are all Malay occupational notes. Japan came in the the small island nations, sucked up the resources, looted the banks and then issued occupational currency for the inhabitants via the govt. this was all part of the "co-prosperity sphere" they were so fond of.

It was called Mickey Mouse money because everybody knew it was worthless, especially after the Japanese were sent packing. Some notes are very rare but this stuff was printed by the truckload.

I bought some notes just to have them in my collection and didn't really care about value. It's more of a historical thing for me.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
yep:thumbsup: what everyone else Said. :thumbsup:

I used to buy them in packs of a hundred at a time for $10 - $15 .
Japanese & German

what I liked most about them was the artwork.
as with everything else prices have probably risen.
but mainly on the dealers sell price end of the deal.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread