Beats Pill XL Arbitrage Opportunity

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
I love this type of thing, but am about to go on vacation so I can't try buying them...

Apple just recalled the Beats Pill XL speaker due to a fire hazard. They will pay you $325 for it. Details here:

Beats Pill XL Speaker Recall Program - Apple Support

Up until yesterday, they were selling used for about $250 on eBay...

beats pill xl | eBay

You would have to read the recall details very carefully, it only applies to this one type of speaker that matches the picture exactly.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I love this type of thing, but am about to go on vacation so I can't try buying them...

Apple just recalled the Beats Pill XL speaker due to a fire hazard. They will pay you $325 for it. Details here:

Beats Pill XL Speaker Recall Program - Apple Support

Up until yesterday, they were selling used for about $250 on eBay...

beats pill xl | eBay

You would have to read the recall details very carefully, it only applies to this one type of speaker that matches the picture exactly.

APPLE says they will supply the return shipping box and the store credit or cash refund comes in about 3 weeks, it appears no receipt paperwork is needed... Another Be On the Look Out for sure!....

It seems I remember a similar story. Sears has a similar recall on an older Radial Arm Saw. They supply the shipping for the return of the motor and blade guard and gives $100.

Thanks for sharing the information!,
Bill

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Thanks for the info but personally I do not think this type of stuff belongs on this forum.

That is what the website "slickdeals" is made for. Has absolutely nothing to do with garage sales.

kali_is_my_copilot

Feb 10, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not sure what the difference is between buying this speaker for a buck and selling it for $200 + and buying it for a buck and returning it to Apple for a $300 + credit or cash refund.

krazyace

Jan 9, 2009
Michigan
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro-Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wow, Thanks for the info I think I am going to flip some of these if I can get them for $200 or less. If you got any other arbitrage opportunities let me know.

I think slickdeals is more for finding clearance items at retailers. Plus you never know you could run into one of these at a yard sale.

OP
OP
F

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
Plus you never know you could run into one of these at a yard sale.
or a thrift store? Not sure how well recall's work... Not really in Apple's best interest to spread the word. I thought it would be neat if they showed up in bulk at something like a "Tuesday Morning" store. That probably isn't legal though due to the recall.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info but personally I do not think this type of stuff belongs on this forum.

That is what the website "slickdeals" is made for. Has absolutely nothing to do with garage sales.

01111_3QOP1VRr6zC_600x450.jpg
00404_7GdzRcZfpmg_600x450.jpg

Ben, a garage sale is the ideal environment to find such things and posting on this forum is both educational and informative. Here is a picture of a current local garage sale. It's an example that probably best represents as much as a "field of land mines" in ways to lose money as it is a "garden for pulling out treasures". Like the $375.00 "Jay Sharp" hammer unknowingly bought for $4 because it "looked different", not gambling, but actually knowing that this Apple product is really worth hundreds of dollars is great Garage Sale information for this forum's members.

:2barsgold:Remember that old saying, "Knowledge is Power".

Bill

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben, a garage sale is the ideal environment to find such things and posting on this forum is both educational and informative. Here is a picture of a current local garage sale. It's an example that probably best represents as much as a "field of land mines" in ways to lose money as it is a "garden for pulling out treasures". Like the $375.00 "Jay Sharp" hammer unknowingly bought for $4 because it "looked different", not gambling, but actually knowing that this Apple product is really worth hundreds of dollars is great Garage Sale information for this forum's members.

:2barsgold:Remember that old saying, "Knowledge is Power".

Bill

You are mistaken.

The purpose of this forum is not to teach people how to make money.

Lose money or make money... This forum is to show off your garage sales (and related) finds.

It has never been about making money.

That is why I was against the ebay forum from the beginning. This is not the ebay help desk.

Remember, this is a treasure hunting website.

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I disagree. If you ran across one of these at a garage sale or thrift store and could get $300 for it, I would call that finding treasure especially if bought for $20 or $50 or even $1. If you think this forum is only about treasure in the traditional form then the whole garage, thrift, ebay sections should be removed. I really hope that doesn't happen as I for one have enjoyed this forum for years and have learned so much from it. But as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure...

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
I disagree. If you ran across one of these at a garage sale or thrift store and could get $300 for it, I would call that finding treasure especially if bought for $20 or $50 or even $1. If you think this forum is only about treasure in the traditional form then the whole garage, thrift, ebay sections should be removed. I really hope that doesn't happen as I for one have enjoyed this forum for years and have learned so much from it. But as they say, one man's trash is another man's treasure...

You just said the same thing as Bill.

Refer to post #8.

Also, when did I say it was only about treasure in the traditional form? What does that even mean?

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are the one that said this stuff doesn't belong on this forum and ebay shouldn't be on here because it's a treasure hunting forum. My point is, to some people here, finding an item to make money from by reselling, trading, or whatever other way is treasure hunting. Just because you don't think it's treasure hunting doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. You shouldn't tell other people not to post on here something that is relevant to garage sales and thrift stores. Or maybe you're too stupid to realize how it does relate.

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the heads up on these. If I found one at a GS, TS or on eBay I would consider it a treasure [emoji6]

OP
OP
F

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
If you got any other arbitrage opportunities let me know.
Ok, I don't have very many specifics on this one, but have you all ever bought from online charity auctions? Here is one that I am currently aware of because a friend is selling some stuff in it...

Auction1 Trad Gang.com

I "think" that auction items will go for too low of a price because the website doesn't get a lot of exposure. Definitely one of those, "don't buy unless you know what your are getting" things...

So, take this auction for instance:

Auction1 Trad Gang.com: Broadhead Bonanza!--4

I "think" that with 55 broadheads being sold, that the value is greater than the current $90 price.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You are mistaken.

The purpose of this forum is not to teach people how to make money.

Lose money or make money... This forum is to show off your garage sales (and related) finds.

It has never been about making money.

That is why I was against the ebay forum from the beginning. This is not the ebay help desk.

Remember, this is a treasure hunting website.

Ben,

We are on the same page; maybe not the same paragraph... Webster's Definition of Treasure: wealth of any kind or in any form . It seems this website is to show what treasures are found and enriches its readers with other readers' explanation of how they hunt treasure. It would be a boring magazine that only shows pictures of treasure; leaving out the ways and courage it takes to find it.

For the Purest of the world, in the true meaning of the words, "Treasure Hunting", one wouldn't necessarily say your neighbor found treasure when he finally mowed the tall grass in his front yard and found his mother-in-law's old washing machine he can sell for scrap. But no matter where you hunt it, or how you post your finds, "wealth is wealth", whether measured by the pound, troy ounce, carat, rarity, etc. When I find outdated cast brass décor, I consider finding it a form of treasure if I dig it up while detecting or pay 1/4 the scrap price at a garage sale, because selling it at double or triple the price I paid lets me take that wealth and go buy "treasure" in the form of American Silver Eagles or Canadian Maple silver bullion for half the cost or for free.

In 2003, I wrote a treasure story that was sold and published by "Lost Treasure" magazine entitled, "Finding treasure with dead batteries". It was about finding things like electrical conduit, 1-1/2" thick by 4'x8' insulation panels, two trailer loads of foil-faced 6" thick fiberglass insulation, and other items after the batteries died in my detector. The two walls of my workshop where the heat load on the West and the cold soaked wall on the North ended up with an insulation factor of R-50 and the remaining walls have R-19. Enough foam panels from the big box stores, and rolls of foil faced fiberglass insulation, along with 2x6, 2x8, and 2x12" lumber, and a pallet of 30+ sacks of Portland Cement in 92lb. bags, all for free, would have cost me Thousands of dollars. So, the level of success in how you hunt and what you hunt are easiest measured by the money you made/saved. But the key to all these garage sale finds and the story's materials came down to just remembering to say "Thank You" to the people who once owned the items.....

"Treasure hunting" isn't really about "making Money", it's about finding a rarity that gives you "Options". Options to improve your life, and in turn down the line, help someone else. It's a single event or combination of those Options that make your blood pump full with adrenalin, your pulse race, and your heart feel warm with gratitude, and that "TODAY", with your treasure-find, you were triumphant over this day's adversities.

"Treasure is where you find it."....How to get the value out of it comes from where you show it and where you post it,

Bill

Last edited:

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
You are the one that said this stuff doesn't belong on this forum and ebay shouldn't be on here because it's a treasure hunting forum. My point is, to some people here, finding an item to make money from by reselling, trading, or whatever other way is treasure hunting. Just because you don't think it's treasure hunting doesn't mean it doesn't belong here. You shouldn't tell other people not to post on here something that is relevant to garage sales and thrift stores. Or maybe you're too stupid to realize how it does relate.

Sorry. I guess me-a-too stupid to understand. ::)

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Ben,

We are on the same page; maybe not the same paragraph... Webster's Definition of Treasure: wealth of any kind or in any form . It seems this website is to show what treasures are found and enriches its readers with other readers' explanation of how they hunt treasure. It would be a boring magazine that only shows pictures of treasure; leaving out the ways and courage it takes to find it.

For the Purest of the world, in the true meaning of the words, "Treasure Hunting", one wouldn't necessarily say your neighbor found treasure when he finally mowed the tall grass in his front yard and found his mother-in-law's old washing machine he can sell for scrap. But no matter where you hunt it, or how you post your finds, "wealth is wealth", whether measured by the pound, troy ounce, carat, rarity, etc. When I find outdated cast brass décor, I consider finding it a form of treasure if I dig it up while detecting or pay 1/4 the scrap price at a garage sale, because selling it at double or triple the price I paid lets me take that wealth and go buy "treasure" in the form of American Silver Eagles or Canadian Maple silver bullion for half the cost or for free.

In 2003, I wrote a treasure story that was sold and published by "Lost Treasure" magazine entitled, "Finding treasure with dead batteries". It was about finding things like electrical conduit, 1-1/2" thick by 4'x8' insulation panels, two trailer loads of foil-faced 6" thick fiberglass insulation, and other items after the batteries died in my detector. The two walls of my workshop where the heat load on the West and the cold soaked wall on the North ended up with an insulation factor of R-50 and the remaining walls have R-19. Enough foam panels from the big box stores, and rolls of foil faced fiberglass insulation, along with 2x6, 2x8, and 2x12" lumber, and a pallet of 30+ sacks of Portland Cement in 92lb. bags, all for free, would have cost me Thousands of dollars. So, the level of success in how you hunt and what you hunt are easiest measured by the money you made/saved. But the key to all these garage sale finds and the story's materials came down to just remembering to say "Thank You" to the people who once owned the items.....

"Treasure hunting" isn't really about "making Money", it's about finding a rarity that gives you "Options". Options to improve your life, and in turn down the line, help someone else. It's a single event or combination of those Options that make your blood pump full with adrenalin, your pulse race, and your heart feel warm with gratitude, and that "TODAY", with your treasure-find, you were triumphant over this day's adversities.

"Treasure is where you find it."....How to get the value out of it comes from where you show it and where you post it,

Bill

Bill,

Great post. Allow me to clarify.

See post #3 above. At that time I was responding to the OP's post. He specifically said you could buy them on ebay for one price and sell them back to Apple for another price, effectively making $75.

My comment in post #3 was specifically directed to the OP.

IF he had posted that he found one of these at a garage sale (or anywhere in the wild) for $20 (for example) and sold it back to Apple, then yes, I would consider that "treasure".

However, the OP's post was very similar to the types of "deals" you find on the slickdeals website. I was merely pointing out that the OP's post was a "slick deal" and not specifically a treasure story.

Bill, your post #7 was not referecing the specific purpose for my reply in post #3. Instead you told me that IF HE HAD FOUND IT at a garage sale, then it would be treasure.

I AGREE! I replied based on the context of my ORIGINAL post #3.

It is all about context here. So, I assert that I am not wrong and neither are you.

Thank you for responding in a concise, mature manner, unlike some other fools around here...

OP
OP
F

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
Alright... My 2c.... The Internet provides the biggest treasure hunting venue ever seen in the history of mankind. eBay is just one big massive flea market with worldwide reach. I own a large website, something much bigger than TreasureNet. In my opinion, my day job is one massive treasure hunt. I feel that treasure is finding unexpected wealth in areas overlooked by everyone else. The bigger the delta between cost and reward, the bigger the treasure.

On this forum there might be two types of people. Flippers and Collectors. Also, hobby players versus full time treasure hunters. I'm a flipper and a full time treasure hunter. I get my jollies by amassing wealth, not by building a collection. The bigger the cost/reward, the bigger the thrill. Its a bit like gambling...

Last edited:

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bill,

Great post. Allow me to clarify.

See post #3 above. At that time I was responding to the OP's post. He specifically said you could buy them on ebay for one price and sell them back to Apple for another price, effectively making $75.

My comment in post #3 was specifically directed to the OP.

IF he had posted that he found one of these at a garage sale (or anywhere in the wild) for $20 (for example) and sold it back to Apple, then yes, I would consider that "treasure".

However, the OP's post was very similar to the types of "deals" you find on the slickdeals website. I was merely pointing out that the OP's post was a "slick deal" and not specifically a treasure story.

Bill, your post #7 was not referecing the specific purpose for my reply in post #3. Instead you told me that IF HE HAD FOUND IT at a garage sale, then it would be treasure.

I AGREE! I replied based on the context of my ORIGINAL post #3.

It is all about context here. So, I assert that I am not wrong and neither are you.

Thank you for responding in a concise, mature manner, unlike some other fools around here...

Thanks, Ben. It's the "Point/Counter Point" that blends points of view to help everyone. "Making Money" is just the icing on the cake of hunting for all kinds of treasure. Some people like plain cake, some light icing, and some eat the icing first and leave the most of the cake behind...

Plus, I've now learned from you about a new website to me, "Slick Deals". Thank you for sharing that.

Keep Hunting,

Bill

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread