Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought a Bull Pen_is for a couple bucks last summer I got $28 for it . The last time I wrote the "P'' word on here - they censored it

FC-Treasure

Sep 9, 2011
Northern VA
So I've got one for you... There was a book called "The Bear Bryant Funeral Train" that won the "Flannery O'Connor Award" in 2004. Well, in 2005 they determined that the author had plagiarized parts of the book, so the reward was rescinded and all hardcover first editions were recalled by the publisher. I happened to be paying attention at the time and saw that one large online seller was still selling them for about $20 while all other copies were selling for $250 on places like Amazon Marketplace. So, as an experiment I bought one copy at $20 and re listed at $240. It took about six months, but I did sell it at $240... I should have bought a lot more... Oh, here you go, they are still selling for $240 on Amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list..._hrd_new_olp_0?ie=UTF8&condition=new&sr=&qid=

I can't say I have a firm idea of how/when a first edition will become valuable. I feel like I just got lucky on that one... I tried to duplicate it on a similar situation a couple of years later and ended up with a pile of worthless books that I couldn't get rid of in a yard sale...

Last edited:

lifeoncelost

Jun 8, 2014
Detector(s) used
Teknetics G2
Minelab Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I received some teeth and retainers from a lot that I bought at a yard sale. Didn't pay much for the lot. Sold them to a friend that had an antique shop. He gave me $30 and said people buy them to use for steam punk art. Oh, and no precious metals in the teeth or retainers. I checked :-)

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sold this guy though I forgot how much he brought at auction, somewhere north of $50 I believe-

attachment.php

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've never sold anything too weird, once sold a bacon scented candle which was a little unpleasant. I was at a sale once and found a taxidermy half cat... as in someone had cut a cat in half and stuffed it, it looked pretty strange, didn't quite have the stomach for that one. I also once was buying stuff from a guy who does house cleanouts and found an ammo box full of 80's polaroids of assorted elderly couples in some very kinky situations. Needless to say that box got shut pretty quick.

Also I remember us on this forum discovering that vintage deadstock Diapers can bring in some serious cash. Anyone find those yet?

Last edited:

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an electric exercise simulation horse riding machine at a local auction for $70. The thing was huge and I knew my wife was going to be mad at me because we had no where to store it. I knew it was way under priced at the auction though and couldn't resist. Ended up selling local pickup for like $250 only two days later. Quick easy money and I could imagine why anyone would want that thing until I asked the guy who bought it and it turns out he uses it at his chiropractic office.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OadriLn-azM

vwayne1

Jan 14, 2005
Eugene Oregon
Detector(s) used
Minelab E-trac
I just sold a bronze baby head fort $100. Bought for $2. Also in the past sold a NOS box of tampons. $20, bought for $1. They were 1976.

Calgarychef

Jan 23, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a chance to buy a complete 1800's skeleton from the government surplus here. But they pulled it from the sale, they later offered it to me but I turned up it down as I thought it was bad juju to make money off of the poor guy.

Last winter I bought two pallets of mre's for $200.00 and sold them for close to 3000.00.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I bought an electric exercise simulation horse riding machine at a local auction for $70. The thing was huge and I knew my wife was going to be mad at me because we had no where to store it. I knew it was way under priced at the auction though and couldn't resist. Ended up selling local pickup for like $250 only two days later. Quick easy money and I could imagine why anyone would want that thing until I asked the guy who bought it and it turns out he uses it at his chiropractic office.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OadriLn-azM

Yeah... That's what he said!

smiley-emoticon-facial-expression-hot-emotional-expression-on-a-yellow-C3H332.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread