Garage Sale Seasons

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if garage sale season was in full swing in different states around the country. Based on the number of new threads on here, I'm thinking a lot of places are just starting up again.

I think it would be interesting to see where everyone is and the status of garage sales in your area.

I'll start-

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Seems pretty slow around me. I don't know if it is because Summer is coming and it's too hot or if it is the almost daily random showers. I think fall and into winter are best times for sales here.

What's it like where you are?

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
In Baltimore yard sales started in early spring when we still had frost on the windshields when the sun came up. Still going pretty steady. Holiday weekends are usually barren though. A lot of families take a trip as soon as school is out. We'll be hitting that lull shortly.

ARC

Gold Member
Aug 19, 2014
Tarpon Springs
Detector(s) used
JW 8X-ML X2-VP 585
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Your in Florida ?
Then yard sale season is over...
Best times of the year... most yard sales per weekend etc rather...
is in the spring and in the fall.
Summer sucks.
There are still sales... but not as many... just too dang hot for many.

Everester

Mar 8, 2014
Mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In michigan they really start up in the last week of April or so and usually go to the beginning of September.

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Spring is busiest here, but we have them year round, weather permitting.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering if garage sale season was in full swing in different states around the country. Based on the number of new threads on here, I'm thinking a lot of places are just starting up again.

I think it would be interesting to see where everyone is and the status of garage sales in your area.

I'll start-

Fort Lauderdale, FL
Seems pretty slow around me. I don't know if it is because Summer is coming and it's too hot or if it is the almost daily random showers. I think fall and into winter are best times for sales here.

What's it like where you are?
Yeah, definitely fall and winter in this godforsaken sweat pool.

What do you mean "paying"?
"playing" maybe?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in fort myers fl. It is definitely slower here now. I have less interest getting up at 6 o'clock in the morning on Saturdays now due to no community sales hardly any estate sales. There are still a lot but our area is so spread out you're talking a good investment in gas and time driving between them now. It seems like a lot of them will be done by noon. And with all the kids off of school the Friday ones are almost impossible to get to from here on out.

Fushek

Aug 21, 2013
North East Ohio
Primary Interest:
Other
Here in Cleveland, things really don't start up until early May. Last weekend was a big weekend and we're now in full swing.

Interesting followup question, what days do you guys usually see sales start. In Cleveland, they usually start on Thursday, but in Akron where I work, they usually start on Friday. Weird ... I always found Thursday to be an odd day to start a yard sale!

Everester

Mar 8, 2014
Mid Michigan
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They all seem to start on Thursdays and Fridays. I rarely even go out on Saturdays because nothing new is opening.

conleytheking

Dec 9, 2011
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
Other
I started to say "paying attention"

But for some reason I changed my phrasing and I guess I didn't delete far enough
Sorry for the confusion

OP
OP
mkulltra

mkulltra

Nov 14, 2012
South Florida
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Down here, we get a lot of sales that start on Saturday but we also have some that start on Thursday or Friday too. Friday starting sales, especially estate sales, are fiercely competitive. We have a lot of "pros" in Broward County. With the Swap Shop flea market, most of the vendors are out picking on Thursday and Friday. Plus with all of the small "thrift" store owners, you usually have less than a few minutes into sale before most of the "good stuff" is gone. However, they normally follow the estate sale companies, so if you find a good sale kind of off the radar and get their early, you can do pretty well on a Friday. Now that I go into the office at 8:30am, it's harder to hit a weekday sale.

Baltimore

Feb 18, 2013
Maryland/Vermont
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Vermont things don't start until memorial day weekend, and we're lucky if they go into September. Its just too cold for too long. it's been consistently 45 degrees during the day in June this year. I've also been noticing a lot of strange mid week yard sales, seems like an odd strategy.

mojjax

Silver Member
Feb 27, 2005
MAINE
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maine is supposedly in full swing - last 2 weekends were bad - I spent 50 cents on some 3 n one oil cans - and I got 2 pumpkin seedlings for a dollar . I've been doing better at the "free table" at the town dump .
One barn sale I went to had " Ebay printouts " on everything - not sold listings . I turned and ran - fast !

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread