Railroad Lantern Globes

Kevo_DFX

Sep 5, 2008
Greensburg, PA
Detector(s) used
DFX
Hi all,

No pics, Unfortunately I left my memory card at home when I left to travel this week.

I bought a box lot this weekend that had two tall, signal green, extended base globes with no markings. Is there a way to tell if they are original or repro? I know you can't tell me based on description without pictures. I'm just wondering if there is something specific I can look at to determine if they have age?

Thanks!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is all I could find regarding unmarked tall extended base globes- Fake and Reproduction Lantern Globes - Railroadiana Online

Unmarked Globes
Strictly speaking, the question of fraud does not apply to unmarked globes unless the issue concerns age. Unmarked short globes and conductors' lantern globes are still being produced, and collectors cannot assume that even tall unmarked globes are old. At least one documented instance of a production of colored tall globes was reported in "Key, Lock & Lantern" in the early 1980's. Using an original globe mold, someone sponsored production runs of approximately 130-200 tall globes in the following colors: dark green, cobalt blue, "honey yellow" and orange yellow. In addition, a dozen clear and red tall globes were made. The person who did this claimed that he produced them "for the hobby" without intention of deceiving collectors. There may be other instances of the recent production of unmarked tall globes as well, so collectors should enjoy these for what they are and not assume they necessarily saw actual railroad use.
In addition to tall globes, there are reports of a recently-made green-over-clear globe that fits a presentation or conductors lantern. The recent version differs from the authentic older version in that it was dipped to obtain the two-color appearance; the older ones were actually two pieces of glass joined together and have a ridge where the two colors meet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread