Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am having my first garage sale.

I have just been accumulating to many yard sale buys and my realtor is sponsoring a community garage sale. I do not live in her community so she offered a free spot on her lawn. Her daughter will get the driveway.

Need some tips on how to handle buyers. I know how I am when I buy, I am cheap, most sellers do not know how to handle me ;)

Also, how much change (bills) should I bring?

I have mostly costume jewelry and vintage.

Do most buyers do it to resell or are people just looking for things that catch their eye?

Hello Dan,

When I do our home sales, I don't mark things in cents. If it's worth 50-cents, then most likely it's worth a dollar.

Putting jewelry in "Stapled shut" Zip loc baggies (not the thin unsealable sandwich baggies) helps control theft.

If it's a big sale, $100 in ones, $100 in fives, $200 in tens, and $100 in twenties. Small sales take a lot of small bills given back as change; and one large $50 or $100 dollar bill can wipe out early change. I keep my $10's & $20's in one pocket and my $1's and $5's bundle in the other to keep from revealing "large bundles" of cash as well as ease of making change.

With smalls, the more tables you have, the better... :>)

Bill

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
Hello Dan,

When I do our home sales, I don't mark things in cents. If it's worth 50-cents, then most likely it's worth a dollar.

Putting jewelry in "Stapled shut" Zip loc baggies (not the thin unsealable sandwich baggies) helps control theft.

If it's a big sale, $100 in ones, $100 in fives, $200 in tens, and $100 in twenties. Small sales take a lot of small bills given back as change; and one large $50 or $100 dollar bill can wipe out early change. I keep my $10's & $20's in one pocket and my $1's and $5's bundle in the other to keep from revealing "large bundles" of cash as well as ease of making change.

With smalls, the more tables you have, the better... :>)

Bill

If someone tried to buy a $1 item with a $100 bill, I would decline and tell them to come back when they have appropriate change.

SnakemanBill

Apr 24, 2008
Maryland
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've got several boxes of jewelry that I've picked through for the good stuff. I put it all out in trays and tell anyone who shows up $1.00 each, buy 5 get one free. I do pretty good this way usually better than if I had it in lots and take a chance at the auction.

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If someone tried to buy a $1 item with a $100 bill, I would decline and tell them to come back when they have appropriate change.

Ben, I had that happen at one of the few times I sold at the local monthly flea market. I had an old pressure cooker for $10, no way was I going to sell it and give back $90....

The skittish reaction of mine came from a discussion of a clerk at a local "Mom and Pop" discount store. The clerk said that they have been told to check ALL bills due to the owner of a convenience store across from the flea market was passed a counterfeit "ONE DOLLAR BILL"..... Times must be getting hard....

Bill

OP
OP
cyberdan

cyberdan

Silver Member
Dec 12, 2006
Very Northern Left Coast
Detector(s) used
XLT & Bigfoot
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I had a small box of rings on the table, probably 200 - 300 rings. Some lady picked up one and I knew it shouldn't have been in there. I would have had to sell it to her for $1 but she tossed it back in the box. I quickly picked it up and put it in my pocket. Just looked it up. goes for around $35 on feeBay. I am going to have to look at that box again.

ANOTHER UPDATE ON THIS RING.

I put it on ebay for $75 and just got an offer for $50.00 sounds fine to me and the future buyer sent a note:

I am a former woman Marine and would love to have this ring. But I am 65 now and on a fixed income. I can come up with $50.00, but I don't know about the whole $75. Please consider my offer, and be kind, please.

I am real tempted to even offer her $45 because she is a fellow vet, probably viet nam also. But being the skeptic I am i looked her up on ebay. She has 1007 positive feedback points with 1346 transactions in the last 12 months. wow very active! Now I clicked over to see what she sold.

She sold one $2.75 charm bracelet in the last 12 months and that was more than 6 months ago.

So my question is should i sell this ring to someone on a fixed budget that has made more than 1300 purchases on ebay in the last year? ? ?
you will have to speak up real loud over the sad violin music playing in the back ground ;)

P.S. I will accept her offer. A 50 is still a 50.

Attachments

• 839681519_o.jpg
    839681519_o.jpg
    40.4 KB · Views: 74

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would have accepted it too. I recently purchased a Danbury Mint sterling vermeil US Navy ring on eBay for $24.50 recently. The seller did not list it as a Danbury Mint ring so it sold for about half of what the identical rings are selling for. So $50 is a decent price for the ring I believe.

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
ANOTHER UPDATE ON THIS RING.

I put it on ebay for $75 and just got an offer for $50.00 sounds fine to me and the future buyer sent a note:

I am a former woman Marine and would love to have this ring. But I am 65 now and on a fixed income. I can come up with $50.00, but I don't know about the whole $75. Please consider my offer, and be kind, please.

I am real tempted to even offer her $45 because she is a fellow vet, probably viet nam also. But being the skeptic I am i looked her up on ebay. She has 1007 positive feedback points with 1346 transactions in the last 12 months. wow very active! Now I clicked over to see what she sold.

She sold one $2.75 charm bracelet in the last 12 months and that was more than 6 months ago.

So my question is should i sell this ring to someone on a fixed budget that has made more than 1300 purchases on ebay in the last year? ? ?
you will have to speak up real loud over the sad violin music playing in the back ground ;)

P.S. I will accept her offer. A 50 is still a 50.

Dan,

We can't be so judgmental about others. If she says she is a vet and that is enough to make you consider her offer, then simply accept it. Why take it to the next level and analyze her spending habits? That is really none of anyone's business but her own and you will never fully understand her situation based on the limited information you obtained based solely on past buying habits.

My 2 cents.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

We can't be so judgmental about others. If she says she is a vet and that is enough to make you consider her offer, then simply accept it. Why take it to the next level and analyze her spending habits?
It's a habit from his old LEO days, checking background info., lol!

GlenDronach

Bronze Member
Aug 21, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dan,

We can't be so judgmental about others. If she says she is a vet and that is enough to make you consider her offer, then simply accept it. Why take it to the next level and analyze her spending habits? That is really none of anyone's business but her own and you will never fully understand her situation based on the limited information you obtained based solely on past buying habits.

My 2 cents.

IF she's a vet. You haven't been given a sob story about why someone wants your thing for free or a deep discount? You feel good about doing something nice, and then find out they've been doing that to everyone for years and definitely aren't as bad off as they said they were?

jerseyben

Gold Member
Nov 18, 2010
NJ Pine Barrens
Detector(s) used
T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
IF she's a vet. You haven't been given a sob story about why someone wants your thing for free or a deep discount? You feel good about doing something nice, and then find out they've been doing that to everyone for years and definitely aren't as bad off as they said they were?

Because we love to judge others based on little to no facts and personal bias. It is a huge problem and I take exception to it.

Unless you actually know a person, there is no way you could know their entire story. What are you basing such a judgement off of? Your "gut feeling" you got after analyzing a few small pieces of information about a person's life? Maybe something you heard about the person from someone else making assumptions? There is probably some truth in there somewhere mixed in with a lot of ignorance and assumptions.

All I am saying is: If someone gives you a sob story or likewise, either accept it or don't. It is your right to say "no thanks". But it is also unreasonable to take it personally into your hands to judge someone based on their sob story. Mind your own business.

opee

Oct 26, 2009
hales corners. wi
Detector(s) used
BH and AT max
Dan 61 dollars to buy more stuff . lol always look for your post. Feel I learned a lot over the years from you. A Question not asked is a question not answered. Is there any more good tips on selling the stuff that I bought but don't want anymore?

dejapooh

Bronze Member
Nov 14, 2012
Thousand Oaks, CA
Primary Interest:
Other
Unless she was buying food on Ebay, I would say that 1300 purchases in the last 12 months indicates that she has a bit more discretionary income than she lets on.

I've come to accept that MOST of the stories I hear on Ebay are in fact false.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What really matters is whether $50 is an acceptable price for the seller, regardless of her story. That has to be taken at face value. Since Dan accepted the offer, $50 must have been acceptable for him. 1300 purchases doesn't really prove anything as far as her story goes. Maybe she buys to resell on eBay. People do that, including at least one member on treasurenet that makes a living at it. The ring, which appears to be a "Josten's" shows many completed BIN listings for $95 and more.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread