Yard sales on Saturday July 4th?

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Last year I went to one that the lady advertised as a moving sale. I went when she opened I was the only one there and bought a really large amount of nice jewelry. And some other nice things as well too. There are probably people That go to them. What else do you got to do until they start shooting off fireworks!

buzzhead

Sep 23, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If I'm not going to be buying I'll be set up at flea market.

kingskid1611

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2015
Oklahoma
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Absolutely most folks off work, looking for morning stuff to do, extra people in town looking to stay with cheap items, Yup yard sales is what I do anytime.

BigWaveDave

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2013
Mountain Maryland
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, AT Max, Minelab
Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I guess nothing is sacred anymore.... When I was a kid 4th was a holiday... not so much anymore

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yes, I hope there are some and the competition is out of town. Good Luck!

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
Not sure about July 4th, but I had a sale on Easter weekend a couple years back and absolutely killed it!

2Minnesota

Bronze Member
Jul 12, 2008
Minnesota
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tiger Shark, Whites 5900/Di Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would think there are many people looking for something to do before the celebrations/parades/family gatherings etc start happening. We have hit GS in the fourth in the past and there have been many flea markets set up in the park during celebrations to. Why not?!?! Go for it!

billjustbill

Bronze Member
Feb 23, 2008
Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab SN/XS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What are your thoughts on having a ys on the 4th? Will you be out buying???

This comes from many years of flea market observations and the past five years of having our own garage sales. Some fell in July. ;>)

The local monthly flea market is always less when it hits on a July 4th weekend; usually 1/4 less vendors and 1/3 less lookers/buyers. If your place is near a highway or road to the local lake, or is near where a fireworks show is going to be, you should do better than average.

Comparing July heat to Texas' August "fry an egg on the sidewalk" heat , either go for it or wait until the Fall.....

The one garage sale we had on July 4th weekend happened to be about 1-1/2 miles from a large nice community sponsored fireworks display; it was one sale to remember..... There is an old saying I've added 66 years of wisdom to, "Don't judge a book by its cover" ....but by the words that come out of it." and whole line seemed to popped out as big as life as I watched and interacted with the garage sale visitors that day.....

A couple walked up with two older elementary/Jr. High kids. You could see on their faces that each had their own agenda. The Mr. wore an unbuttoned golf shirt with long sports shorts and open sandals, and wore three or four gold chains, a large gold watch, and several rings on each hand and pinkies..... They talked among themselves, but made comments relating to some of the things being sold were seen on stops during their vacation they just finished a few days earlier. The Mr. asked if we watched "Pawn Stars"? His wife gushed with emotion as she said, "WE just LOVE that SHOW"!!! Then, he began telling that they were in the show's shop just a few days ago and that the store was really much smaller than it appears on the show. In the description he gave, along with his voice inflection and fervor of how great the place was, you would have thought they had visited the Statue of Liberty.

As the Mr. walked around, he stopped at a black powder 12ga. shotgun kit that was still new in the box. The fingertips of his hands gently rubbed along the full length of the 48" long picture of the finished gun. Then, he said, "Man!! I sure would like to have this!!!" Then there was a long pause as he gazed and almost caressed the long double barrels. He took a long sigh and said in a despondent shrinking voice, "But, the State of Texas won't let me own any firearms."

Need I say, we kept that fellow very happy while he was there with some gooood prices all the way until he left..... :>)

Let us know how you do....

Bill

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions