Two nice items

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
I picked these two items up at a yard sale yesterday.

DSC06492.JPG

I paid $40 for the camera and $10 for the casserole. Each item should sell for around $80. The camera is a twin lens, large format film camera. It uses 120 film so the negatives are 2.25" square - much larger than the more common 35mm film. The larger format provides for exceptionally sharp images. Yashica is a good brand but, among the Japanese cameras, Mamiya probably produced better quality large format cameras. The German brand Rolleiflex produced a twin lens camera very similar to this that sells for quite a bit more than the Yashicas. By the way, the reason for the twin lenses is the top lens is the viewfinder while the bottom lens has the shutter for capturing the image. The top of the camera opens up to reveal a glass screen where the photographer can see and focus on the image.

The casserole dish is made by Le Creuset which is a popular, high quality brand of cookware. This casserole is stoneware but Le Creuset also makes cast iron and steel items.

Old_Okie

Jun 14, 2007
Took a photography class in college years ago and did all my work with a Yashica twin lens like that. Everyone else was shooting 35mm.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A guy at Mike's Camera in Boulder Colorado said medium format has come back in a big way in recent years around here where I live.

Punatic

Feb 25, 2014
norcal
Primary Interest:
Other
I've seen a few yashica cameras in leather cases with lenses but have passed. Maybe I should start picking them up!

Drmad7

Apr 26, 2014
Midwest
Primary Interest:
Other
LeCreuset is ALWAYS worth buying cheap! I bought four mini casseroles in the shape of apples and bell peppers for about $3 each. Sold each one for no less than $55. And I have looked ever since! Nice score!

OP
OP
T

Tallone

Sep 4, 2013
In a gloomy castle on a lonely hill
Primary Interest:
Other
Punatic, make sure the lenses are clear before you buy. Scratches and/or mold will kill the value. And make sure the shutter works. That is usually the part that breaks first.

@Drmad7 - I have seen some of the cast iron Le Creuset fruit or vegetable shaped casseroles sell for hundreds of dollars on eBay.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread