Sterling Flatware Score!

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
MineLab SE, Excaliber 1000, Sovereign, White's SpectrumXLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I got to hit a few sales today because of tomorrow being a holiday, there were only a few sales listed so I feel fortunate to have found this Twelve person Sterling Silver flatware set marked "Rogers" & "IS" Sterling. I personally have only came across plated sets by these two makers. There is 70 pcs total. I think there might be pieces missing I'm not sure. I don't know what the pattern is. The guy wanted $200.00 I offered $100.00 and we settled on $140.00 Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 190
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    794.3 KB · Views: 144

Beachkid23

Silver Member
Oct 26, 2013
fort myers fl
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I'm wrong and I probably am. But I had a whole set that was fake. If you have not already I would acid test it. If it is real congratulations on your score! I mean it is definitely out there and looks like that is Sterling. And had I not bought a set myself that was fake I would've never questioned it but just kind to let you know they are out there.

BagLady

Bronze Member
Mar 13, 2015
Mississippi
Detector(s) used
cheap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! What do you figure would be the total weight/vs today's price of silver?

OP
OP
Rodbuster209

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I hope I'm wrong and I probably am. But I had a whole set that was fake. If you have not already I would acid test it. If it is real congratulations on your score! I mean it is definitely out there and looks like that is Sterling. And had I not bought a set myself that was fake I would've never questioned it but just kind to let you know they are out there.
I remember that set that you got, it was clearly hand stamped as Sterling after the fact. I took these in and had them checked, they are genuine. Thanks for the heads up!

OP
OP
Rodbuster209

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Very nice! What do you figure would be the total weight/vs today's price of silver?
I can't remember the exact weight but the guy I sell to offered me $ 862.00, I declined, I will keep them until I can get more. Thanks for looking!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nice find. I'm still searching for the elusive sterling flatware set that is affordable. I spotted one a few weeks ago but they wanted $3500 for it, lol. The hunt continues...
elmer.gif

JimDon

Silver Member
May 6, 2009
NC USA
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac, Minelab Excalibur, White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What confuses me is why they would have IS for inlaid silver and the Sterling mark. Very unusual.

GibH

Silver Member
May 17, 2009
Florida
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Surf PI Pro/MXT/Quattro/Sovereign XS2 Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What confuses me is why they would have IS for inlaid silver and the Sterling mark. Very unusual.

IS is the mark for International Silver. They bought many companies back in the early 1900's. Most of the International Silver you will find is plated, some of the brands they sold did however have some sterling patterns.

tamrock

Gold Member
Jan 16, 2013
Colorado
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Now that's some tonnage ... Great haul

OWK

Apr 26, 2014
North Central Md
Detector(s) used
Fisher F70, F75
Garrett Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The same confusion over the "IS" mark you are witnessing here, is likely what allowed you to get such a bargain.

Congrats.

OP
OP
Rodbuster209

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
IS is the mark for International Silver. They bought many companies back in the early 1900's. Most of the International Silver you will find is plated, some of the brands they sold did however have some sterling patterns.
Thanks for explaining the "IS" makers mark and its relationship to the "ROGERS" mark, now I don't have to!

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To make it even more confusing, there was a list of companies using the Rogers name that were absolved by other companies. Besides International Silver, Oneida and Meriden Britannia played a part in these acquisitons also. Rogers: American silver and silverplate manufacturers

OP
OP
Rodbuster209

Rodbuster209

Oct 26, 2010
Northern California
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oct 5, 2014
Massachusetts
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett: AT Pro, AT Gold & Infinium; Minelab: Explorer SE, II; Simplex; Tesoro: Tejon & Outlaw; White's: V3i
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Nice score! Congratulations on the fine silver set through careful negotiations. :occasion14:

basque-man

Silver Member
Sep 26, 2014
W. Nevada / N. CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus; Minelab E-Trac; Son (Wyatt) uses XP Deus!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thats a great score!! Congrats!!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions